Ted Kresge

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Harry Cook

Ted Kresge

Post by Harry Cook »

I have been searching for years for a copy of Ted Kresge's Encylopeadia of Karate and Related Martila arts which I think was published in Chicago in the late 1960s.
Does anyone have a copy they would like to sell or make a photocopy for me? Of course I will cover all costs.
Harry Cook
mikemurphy

book

Post by mikemurphy »

Dear Harry,

I have a copy of the book; however, it is self-published and really not condusive to copying. It would come out aweful. Why do you want a copy of this book?

mike
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Because he is a collector, a writer, and a historian. It's an interesting piece of work, no matter how bizarre. It's a valid piece of reference material.

I similarly would love a copy. But I'm not holding my breath.

- Bill
mikemurphy

book

Post by mikemurphy »

A collector eh????? 8O

Make me an offer?

mike
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Mike,
You'd sell? Your most prized posession.
I doubt it.

As far as Ted Kresge goes.
Look back at a forum thread from last year on Vans forum.
You'll be shocked and amazed. Not Mike, but everyone else.
He has written another "Encyclopedia".
F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Harry Cook

Post by Harry Cook »

That's exactly it - I am a collector, historian, writer etc etc and this is an unscratched itch. What are you asking for the book?
Harry Cook

Ted Kresge

Post by Guest »

In the August 26, 1972 edition of the St. Petersburg Independent there's an article which references Kresge's Encylopedia of Karate. The newspaper is now defunct; however, microfilm copies are available in the local libraries.

The article states that the book is 2 3/4 inches thick and contains 1222 pages. Kresge is quoted stating that "It took me eight years. It contains the history of every type of karate in the world complete self-defence."

The newspaper states that only 258 copies were printed but that Kresge planned on a 10,000 run second edition. Kresge explains that the book is made up of mimeographed pages "but the pages with pictures on them are printed." The first copies cost Kresge $10,000.00 to get printed and bound in hard cover. He expected to recoup his losses in the 2nd edition.

The preface states: "Karate Begins and Ends with Courtesy, Honesty, Respect and Discipline."

Kresge goes on to explain that his interest in Karate went back 15 years to when he was in the army in Orleans, France in 1962. "There were hardly any schools over there, but a lot of people had heard about karate. So I just decided I would start teaching to help other people learn." At the publication date of the Independent story there were still schools operating in Wales, Belgium and two in Germany. He had 14 schools operating in the United States at the time of the article.

That's pretty much a summary of the factual details in the newspaper article. What I find interesting, however, are some of Ted Kresge's other statements. He claims he studied in Boston under Master Tomoyose "who is No. 2 in this art in the world. He has a 7th degree black belt." I believe that GM has written that he may have attended a seminar in Boston led by Master Tomoyose.

The most interesting quote from Kresge follows: "I direct this form of karate for the United States and handle all the correspondence for the Grand Master, Master Kanei Uechi of Futema, Okinawa." I wonder how accurate this statement might be! At the time of the article, Kresge was a 4th degree blackbelt. I wonder who signed his Uechi certificates?

Some photographs that accompany the article show Kresge in his gi with Uechi Ryu written vertically in black ink down the left lapel of his jacket. He also has a oval patch sewen on the left brest of the jacket. At the top is a Japanese inscription that I cannot read. Below the inscription is a stylized shoken fist. Below are the words "Uechi Ryu Karate." The black belt he wears has four white stripes which of course is inconsistent with today's ranking practices.

In a much later article from December 22, 2002 in the on line archives of the St. Petersburg Times, Kresge's later days are covered. He was 60 years of age at that time. Although Kresge had planned on teaching karate all of his life as stated in the earlier article, the 2002 account states that he had a life changing experience in 1979 which caused him to leave his Pinellas County dojos for Arizona.

The 2002 article recaps some interesting facts:"During the 1970's he opened 11 karate schools around Tampa Bay. He became a fifth-degree black belt.... He taught more than 10,000 students...."

"He wrote a 1,222 page book on the history of Karate."

"In 1975 ... Kresge started promoting the U. S. Open Karate Championship. by 1979, the event at Eckerd College had grown to include more than 1,500 competitors and thousands of spectators from around the world, making it the country's largest karate tournament."

Kresge is now a reclusive missionary who lights up his St. Petersburg, Florida house and grounds with one of the largest residential Christmas light displays in the country. He does not grant interviews!

john
Daway

Ted Kresge's Encylopeadia

Post by Daway »

Hello I am looking to buy Ted Kresge's Encyclopedia of Karate from any person willing to sell it. Ted was my teacher in the late 60's and early 70's.

I last saw Ted 2 years ago during Christmas (my family live 5 blocks from his house). He looked good and still had that energy I remember. It has been almost 40 years since I have been his student but he is still my most honored teacher. He did not just teach me Karate but life skill that I now pass on to my students.

David
iowarehab@msn.com
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

David

Let us know if you get a copy of his book.

While you are at it... Since your family (not immediate, I presume) lives a few blocks from Ted, why not ask him if he has a few copies around anywhere? If you find some, please let me know. I'd be interested as well, just to round out the Uechi library. But take care of your own needs first. It would mean much more to you, having worked directly with Ted.

And if you would... Please pass along my best, and ask him how he is doing. We'd all like to know. He's a most enigmatic character. I'm fascinated by such people. And after all, don't you think he wouldn't like to get a visit from you? I certainly love it when students I taught decades ago contact me. I just had one contact me last night whom I hadn't heard from in 15 years. I was happy to see he was doing well (a physician out at Ohio State University).

I see you live in Winston-Salem. Do you teach Uechi? Are you at all interested in visiting me in Richmond (or inviting me down)? Just a thought.

- Bill
Daway

Hi Bill

Post by Daway »

I once asked Ted if he had an extra copy but he stated not anymore. For Ted and Kim their focus is on their faith and his work abroad. I respect where is in his life and his commitment to others. Still I smile when I think of his small dojo on Central Ave., This was before he had other schools or was teaching in the community centers. It was another lifetime, but a good one. I will see be back in St. Pete in May and will make a point to spend time with Ted if he is there.

A few years ago I obtained a back injury that paralyzed my right side. I had surgery that restored most of the function of my leg but have not worked out in years. Since I posted the message I have been in contact with an old workout friend. I believe it is time to start working out again.

David

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”