Amazing first strike video

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Postby Stryke » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:50 am

heh using objects ...

Bas Rutten calls it using the ambience of the situation ....

I might try this against some people here without warning and see if it works .

hopefully i dont get beat on in the process .

I will warn them though they have to resist fully and consider ti a real fight .

to much warning ?

valid expirement ?
Stryke

Postby Bill Glasheen » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:48 am

If you warn them, it takes the surprise out. It's like telling someone you're going to suckerpunch them.

I really need to have you guys play "Barroom Brawl." You'd enjoy it. And sooner or later...

This thing works best in chaos. And it works well when you have no regard for the other individual's propriety. :twisted:

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Postby Stryke » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:51 am

wasnt gonna tell them the technique used , just I expected them to go for real and not comply ...

guess it`s impossible to test stuff that relys on surprise ...

sounds interesting the baroom brawl ....
Stryke

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:04 am

Marcus the wedgie attack :?: :lol: I'm sure it's a valid technique Bill and I'm sure soon we will hear of some first hand real life applications.

Now I'm glad we have other tools in our tool box as well. I understand that one might feel a little uncomfortable in some changing rooms if all they had in their tool box was a wedgie defense. Best to get dressed at home. :wink:

If you want to get hung up on silly literal interpretations in seisan bunkai, this isn't a first one I would pick
Amen to that Bill :D

Your points are valid Bill, the point I'm trying to make is as significant number of folks think they can pick charging bulls out of the room and put them down where they choose. If someone doesn't give these people a dose of the real world they remain a step away from a body bag.

Maybe next class you can have some large men charge some tiny guys Bill,( uncooperate charge) let me know how many students pick someone up and block. I'm not sugesting a prearranged attack.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:09 am

double post

Postby Stryke » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:16 am

why what other Bunkais in Seisan ****** ?

maybe we can share a few ideas on some better ones ?

I`m not doing this kata yet but I`d love to have a few good apps rather than grab em by the fat ...
Stryke

Postby MikeK » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:22 am

Let's not stop at thinking of these as just defensive techniques. They are really good for breaking up a fight, ejecting or moving someone and a bunch of other situations where you aren't the one doing the fighting. Rich posted a picture of a Marine moving an Iraqi with a goose neck come along. Now from my experience to get someone into that one you have to be really sneaky and your chances of doing it during a fight are slim. But it's still a great technique outside of a fight. We can't just think of everything being used by fighters but also think of bouncers, bodyguards, security and LEO and how techniques could be used by them.

I`m not doing this kata yet but I`d love to have a few good apps rather than grab em by the fat ...

Now I have seen that one used by a judoka friend in a fight. One time while at the beach I also have seen the same judoka throw someone by using the guys chest hair.
I was dreaming of the past...
MikeK

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:27 am

Stryke wrote:why what other Bunkais in Seisan ****** ?
I don't think any of them ****** Marcus, as Bill likes to tell us we just don't understand or are not doing them corectly ,etc.

I don't think the sword defense *****....I just think it's unlikely that someone would swing a sword or other weapon in that fashion. I think there might be other applications for the jump back.

The three boshikens don't ******, they can be used like that.....but the retreating Boshikens in Seisan are not utilized in the bunkai.We miss much when only subscibe to someone elses idea.

maybe we can share a few ideas on some better ones ?
Are you sugesting we might have a discussion and exchange of ideas? What an unusual idea. :lol:

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:37 am

Mike, the judo buddy story presents a fine visual :lol: That has to hurt!

Luck being what it is I'm sure if I ever get into it at the beach I'll end up being attacked by sone smooth skinned guy covered in oil. 8O

Oh well, I'll lose no sleep over it, I'm confident I can grab that speedo and give him a wedgie if I have too. :lol:

Postby MikeK » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:00 am

The judoka and the victem were both friends of mine back in New York (circa 1975). Vinny, aka the Hairy Soon-to-be-Uke, asked Todd how he'd throw someone who wasn't wearing a gi. Todd showed him. I don't remember exactly how Todd did it except for the grabbing of the chest hair and Vinny going ass over tea kettle. Todd got him right around the nipple! :lol:
I was dreaming of the past...
MikeK

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:22 am

Vinny has my sympathy, I tossed Marcus once and he reached in and grabbed a nipple as he went to the ground. Man that hurt, I thought he had torn it off. 8O

Postby Van Canna » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:06 am

I don't think any of them ****** Marcus, as Bill likes to tell us we just don't understand or are not doing them corectly ,etc.

:silly:

Ha..ha...the
you wouldn't understand, can't do them right
CLUB... 8)

Wish I had a dime for everytime I have heard that over the last forty years.

It is usually something that comes out of Uechi people, like the Alien incubating in the space travelers' chests... :P

:evilbat:
Van
Van Canna

Postby Bill Glasheen » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:05 pm

Laird's just busting my chops, Van. Piling on isn't allowed. :P

A fellow has to be careful with a conversation in this crowd... 8O

Stryke

When I tested Vicki for nidan, we did a bit of an advanced seisan bunkai. There were I believe 5 separate places where we did the "standard" bunkai, and then one that I had choreographed and worked on with Vicki. I was hoping we would make it up to New England to demo it, but Vicki and family had some tough times with the family business and the economy. So we did her test in front of a multi-organizatitonal Uechi panel in the Mid Atlantic area.

Dana saw it I believe. Don't know if she remembers what we did.

I'm constantly playing with things in seisan and other kata, and having folks in class drill these bunkai. One of the ones I came up with I later saw on a jiujitsu site (pretty close) and in a Systema article (almost identical). So I figured I must be a lot closer to something useful than what was presented in the "standard" bunkai. Some self defense patterns transcend style.

Laird

The "charging bull" bunkai was one of the ones "rechoreographed"... ;) I got my idea first from a similar Fuzhou Suparinpei pattern, and then later confirmed it with Gushi sensei. But I won't throw the original away. It's not as bad as it seems at first. Joe Pomfret likes it, and he knows a thing or two about shooting.

There are worse...

- Bill
Last edited by Bill Glasheen on Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Glasheen

Postby Van Canna » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:15 pm

Laird's just busting my chops, Van. Piling on isn't allowed.

A fellow has to be careful with a conversation in this crowd...

Thought you had a sense of humor, Bill. :?

Oh well, I guess I'll never understand. :P
Van
Van Canna

Postby Bill Glasheen » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:17 pm

Hey, no blood no foul! ;)

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities