what a dojo needs

The dojo to many is a place of beauty, where the daily ritual of working out takes place. Do you have a special place where you work out? A special design you created that gave the dojo its personality and in the process gives you the inspiration to put a little more into your workout? Share your secrets here.
Stryke

what a dojo needs

Post by Stryke »

I think a real Dojo always benifits from having a makiwara

It`s a traditional conditioning device that makes a club look a dojo , and not a dance studio :lol: :lol:

please George see the funny side of this , It`s no so serious huh ;)

good to see yoy more involved , good luck on the new forum .

there are some amazing dojos out there , and would be good to get ideas for when I build mine .
gmattson
Site Admin

Marcus..

Post by gmattson »

:)

Every dojo should have a teacher who has a sense of humor. Mine is also, often misunderstood. Susan keeps reminding me to be careful what I say, because people dwell on every word and take everything sooooo seriously.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

A dojo needs students that one day in the never so distant future will enter each others dojo(s) and be greeted as long time friends should be
Léo
Mills75

Hello

Post by Mills75 »

I think most importantly a dojo needs to follow the code of conduct for Uechi-ryu and whatever the sensei feels he needs to add to that code for the respect and legitimacy of his dojo.

Jeff :D
Jeff
Dana Sheets

Post by Dana Sheets »

R-e-s-p-e-c-t. :D
Did you show compassion today?
Mills75

Dana

Post by Mills75 »

You're awesome...karate does begin and end with respect afterall.. :D

Jeff :D
Jeff
RA Miller

Post by RA Miller »

The smell of sweat.
gmattson
Site Admin

I invited a couple

Post by gmattson »

of my Florida students to join me for a workout in my jungle dojo this morning. This is as close to an Okinawan Summer workout as you can get.

After ten minutes we were all drenched in sweat and feeling fantastic! Floridians tend to live all Summer in air conditioned environments and don't allow their bodies to adjust to the heat and humidity and because of this, they really suffer going outside.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
chef

Requrements for a dojo

Post by chef »

I could do without the smell of sweat, Rory, but a dojo will eventually take on inherent smells of people and equipment.

This may come later as the dojo develops and solidifies, but a inner support and an outer reciprosity strengthen a dojo.

A support team helps the dojo run smoother, especially if the instructor is hust a hands on kind of guy who really just wants to be teaching, without being bogged down with the books and details needed to run some dojos, especially commercial ones. Unfortunately, it takes a while to build up loyal, dedicated students that want to be involved in helping run certain aspects of the dojo.

Rich Castanet, is a prime example of support person for our dojo. He is the quint-essential organizer (an engineer by trade). He heads up advertising, contacting our fitness club to set agendas, handling paper work, setting up seminars, etc. This really frees Bill up to teach the karate and weapon classes. Support can be beautiful!

Another great feature is a type of reciprosity of sorts between dojos. When egos are set aside and people who love karate can get together periodically to share knowledge, the individual dojos benefit. A working example of this is our regiionals as well as George's summer camp. Within in our regionals are often four different affiliations of Uechi. Yes, we are slightly different, yes, we are the same yet all the parts contribute to make a wonderful whole....living, breathing Uechi.

Just a few thoughts,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"

Return to “The Physical Dojo”