The Largo Florida Dojo

The dojo to many is a place of beauty, where the daily ritual of working out takes place. Do you have a special place where you work out? A special design you created that gave the dojo its personality and in the process gives you the inspiration to put a little more into your workout? Share your secrets here.

The Largo Florida Dojo

Post by Guest »

Go to:

http://www.authenticmartialarts.com/

Click on "Tour our Custom Built School" on the right.

Built in 1983 by Sensei Martin and his senior students. Two expansion projects. Sensei's 3 story townhome residence is attached on the right.

Just your typical 1st class Uechi dojo with 6 classrooms.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Wow Beautifull facilitys

Hard to beleive thats typical though , seems an exception to me ...

an example maybe of a commercially orientated success story . 6 classrooms wow must have hundreds of students ....

thanks for posting

Typical

Post by Guest »

Thanks. :)

Typical only in the sense that Rick Wilson and Van have posted photos of outstanding training facilities.

Until about three years ago, on Saturdays, there was one open karate class. Now there are six kyu level kobudo classes on Saturday and the black belt kobudo class.

Sensei Martin keeps in touch with the elementary age kids by driving a little yellow school bus. He has two large vans, too. There are just under 100 kids in the after school program that draws from about 6-7 elementary schools.

Four of the other classrooms are filled Monday thru Friday with Kyu rank classes from 5-6, 6-7 and 7-8 Monday thru Thursday. There's a mix here of karate and kobudo classes, nearly 300 students. The black belt class meets 7-8:30 on Monday and Wednesday. The black belt class is taught by Scott Reed, a Godan. The other classes are taught by one Yondan (the Chief Instructor Joe Craven who's 31 and has been training with Ric 25 years), one Sandan, two Nidans and two Shodans. Three of the Instructors are full time and all are paid. There are also two part-time counselors who are school teachers who lead the non-karate portions of the after school program. Sensei Martin has general oversight of the whole shabang and his wife Bonnie (one of the Nidans) fills in with the kids.

Sensei Martin teaches the CIT (Certified Instructor Training) program which is for Instructor Training and is not limited to Uechi students. There are about 12 students enrolled and it meets Tuesday and Thursday evening.

The original makiwara stations have been moved outside, one with half a tire on a post for kicking, two leather capped striking boards and one rope wrapped board. I like the tire and the rope wrapped board which has a little give. Inside there are two different units of Focus master equipment. The adjustable pads don't have the same give or feel of the wooden makiwara posts.

On the other hand, the old style posts were brutal on your hands until you got them conditioned. The focus master units are more user friendly and can be adjusted for numerous kicking and punching combinations so they are more versitile than the traditional striking/kicking posts.

The dojo is a busy place with lots of good energy.

Now this is world class!

Post by Guest »

John Giacoletti wrote:Thanks. :)

Typical only in the sense that Rick Wilson and Van have posted photos of outstanding training facilities.

World Class

Post by Guest »

Looks to me like there's enough room for a good workout tucked away in a corner of the garage.

I really like the mounted support arm. Looks solid enough for a good sized heavy bag and it projects out enough from the wall to give some swing space.

Post by Guest »

It's not pretty but i've got some of my best training accomplished in this garage. To me, this is world class...

Tony

Post by Guest »

In my opinion where one trains is holy ground blessed by blood, sweat and tears.

ciao
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

An amazing and exceptional place indeed. :D 8O

And Tony yours looks great too. :D 8)
CANDANeh

Largo dojo

Post by CANDANeh »

WOW! Good to see such places exist, someones dream come true and he shot for the stars. I bet there are even showers... what a treat that would be.
Léo

Post by Guest »

And babes too....
:D

Return to “The Physical Dojo”