Uechi's contribution...

A place where this subject can be evaluated and discussed. No "bashing" allowed. "Tell us what YOU do"
Asteer

Uechi's contribution...

Post by Asteer »

Near the end of another thread, I asked the following question, but the thread died out so I thought I would try to re-post it here...

In working with people from other systems, what is it that the Uechika brings to the table. I thought Tony's answer (below) was really interesting and I wonder if anyone else could chime in...
Trapping and striking from traps. Also low kicks, sweeps, all from very close. I have had alot of success with these techniques against several styles (although it didn't happen over night, I spent quite a while getting my ass kicked) from Shorin, TKD, Enshin, and a few others. Learn those tenshin moves in Hojo Undo, you'll be able to use those to fling people around by their neck.

Oh, and wear head gear because as a Uechi guy, you'll walk right into punches without even realing it. To this day, I am still getting popped in the snazola because of that sanchin stuff. Keep your hands up and protect your face!!! My hands want to go into that sanchin position from all the years of getting kicked and punched while standing there like an idiot. Now it bites me in the ass.

Post by Guest »

The McCanna taught me a Uechi Ryu entry that was very VERY helpful in my sparring... I was having trouble getting into the red zone because I was being pummeled with non-uechi techniques not in our kumites. He showed me a sliding cat stance right out of the kata along with a variation of waukes, like out of seirui. This technique basically cleared the way for me to get in and start experimenting with anti-other_style techniques. Like I said, it took a while, probably about a year before I started noticing my training partners going on the defensive... thats when I knew I was getting pretty good at what I was doing.
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Glad you raised this again I will post later tonight or tomorrow night.

Uechi brings a lot to the table.
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

The Bronze Dago wrote:The McCanna taught me a Uechi Ryu entry that was very VERY helpful in my sparring... I was having trouble getting into the red zone because I was being pummeled with non-uechi techniques not in our kumites. He showed me a sliding cat stance right out of the kata along with a variation of waukes, like out of seirui. This technique basically cleared the way for me to get in and start experimenting with anti-other_style techniques. Like I said, it took a while, probably about a year before I started noticing my training partners going on the defensive... thats when I knew I was getting pretty good at what I was doing.
Is this something that translates at all for use in the Ring?
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit

Post by Guest »

No Jim, i'm back to square one on the entry for boxing. Totally new and different animal.

I sparred with a guy alot bigger and stronger (and older) then me on Friday. His reach seemed like it was twice mine. My nose is sore from walking into his jab about a dozen times. I started getting to him from the outside towards the end of the second round but we both quit after that... it was a tough couple of rounds. About the only thing that does translate from what i've learned in the past is that you gotta take your lumps.... theres no way around it.

Tony
p.s. I feel naked posting without an avatar and sig file.
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Tony,

Are you breaking this stuff down and working a couple of different entries with your buds???
Shaolin
M Y V T K F
"Receive what comes, stay with what goes, upon loss of contact attack the line" – The Kuen Kuit

Post by Guest »

nah, i'm either working out at the gym or solo at home in my garage. I usually set an objective before I spar and stick to it. Mostly that objective has been to get in from the outside and make some head contact or a shot in the ribs but not with a whole lot of power (im trying to be fast). I am trying to keep it simple so that i dont get distracted by complext moves and what not. When I start having success with that, consistently, i'll move on to some more complicated stuff.
JimHawkins

Post by JimHawkins »

Never said complex bro..

But as I had suggested in that PM I think you'll find that working two or three SIMPLE entries over and over and over again will go a long way toward making it happen more naturally in the Ring.. As in most things, 90% of the time folks go with 10% of the menu.. So working a few entries/intercepts with your buddies can help get the moves and distance down minus or at least with less of the head trauma.

The best of the best IME always break this stuff down and work it over and over..
Shaolin
M Y V T K F

Post by Guest »

Right Jim, I still have it... just keeping it simple. Besides its fun when your partner knows exactley what your gonna do and he punches you in the face, hah hah!
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Oh, and wear head gear because as a Uechi guy, you'll walk right into punches without even realing it.
We have this quite often in Dan test sparring, where it seems some have no idea how to protect the face.

But,think about it, do we have many drills that target the face with jabs/crosses/hooks/uppercuts?

Yeah, I know, it's in seisan, sanseiryu etc._ but where is the practice?

Dave's reflex drills are very humbling to Uechi-ka. Try it. :wink:
Van
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

this is gonna be different from the norm maybe and just IMHO

please dont write GEM about feeling dissed

I think Uechi`s a great style as a grpapling art with some striking , it encourages good base and the kata are clearly designed for clinchwork and entrys IMHO , its a good style to defend a shoot or grappler if trained that way , Seisan screams grappling (my current Uechi exploration)

I do think the striking is good and effective , but done from the grapple and in close range , feeding and grabbing .

Sanchin shows a good traditional wrestling type guard , a get in and grab attitude , there are good covers and transfers .

I would make major changes to Uechi if used as just a striking style , in fact i have made adjustments to blur it alittle more where my own katas concerned .

to me Uechi does deserve the consideration of an in between style of striking and grappling, and as such has a lot of possibilitys to be a good base for a complete unarmed fighter .
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Oh, and wear head gear because as a Uechi guy, you'll walk right into punches without even realing it. To this day, I am still getting popped in the snazola because of that sanchin stuff. Keep your hands up and protect your face!!! My hands want to go into that sanchin position from all the years of getting kicked and punched while standing there like an idiot. Now it bites me in the ass.
Do guys really just stand in sanchin and move straight? How does sanchin make you open? Its really closed, and covers the face and body? How?
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Your facing your opponent squarely providing a large target ....

your in an open gate position inviting straight attacks ...

the guards taught traditionally to low for head protection ...

Of course the system has answers for all of this , but there are better guards IMHO , but I dont think it`s supposed to be done so literally anyhow .
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Your facing your opponent squarely providing a large target ....

your in an open gate position inviting straight attacks ...

the guards taught traditionally to low for head protection ...

Of course the system has answers for all of this , but there are better guards IMHO , but I dont think it`s supposed to be done so literally anyhow .
Wait, your elbows are in close to your solar plexus, and are NOT open. To the face, if your elbows are close to your center line. How is it open?

Does rick teach his sanchin different?
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Not really , but i`m sure he could show you what I mean , or I could show you in the new year when I visit 8)

But Rick and others may disagree with me 8O :shocked!:

I`m thinking more of the JKD stance , not really many openings there on a striking level , but it lacks advantages in grappling that uechi has ...
Last edited by Stryke on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Fighting Drills”