Uechi's "in-line" front kick and

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

Uechi's "in-line" front kick and

Post by gmattson »

a bunch of other things which may be of some interest. The kicking tips for saving one's knees may strike some practitioners as overkill. . . especially since my methods may be quite different than theirs. We can discuss if you wish. Thanks to the Dando family for helping out and I apologize for the typo in the film.

My teaching style is much different than when I initially returned from Okinawa in the 50s. I try to make classes interesting and most important, I try to make sure that progress is made in every class. Working with new students is difficult and requires lots of imagination, patience and a lot of insight into what will move individual students from clumsy klutzes to accomplished athletes.

When seniors give advice regarding teaching methods, I always judge the methods by watching their students, not the teacher. If the teacher can transmit their knowledge and ability to their students, then I can respect the method.

Enjoy . . . http://www.uechi-ryu.com/videos/swamp%20workout2.wmv
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Awesome stuff GEM thanks !!!!

what a great spot , wish I could of been there !!!
Last edited by Stryke on Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

:D
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

I was suprised George , your kicking methods alot closer to my way of kicking than I thought was the Uechi method ...

Guess theres lots of different Uechis :)

I liked the relaxed power of it , So importnat IMHO to have natural loose movement .

your video deffinately captured that !!!

Thank The Dado family for sharing there training , lucky folks !!!

Post by Guest »

george does cool stuff!
CANDANeh

loose and directly to the point

Post by CANDANeh »

George...so that`s where I got my favorite warm up excersise (windmilling the arms) or did you get it from me :lol:
From watching your students I`m convienced that Uechi is live and well in your "swamp". The front kick (off front foot) being the only kick in primary Uechi kata highlites its importance to the system.
IMO for your kick to be taught properly (and developed as their own) a student must relate it to the other aspects of his Uechi such as arm thrust etc..the "windmill" warm up even plays a role in that doesn`t it ?
Léo
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

I love the black belt GEM is wearing :D

Post by Guest »

That kick works best when you time it off someone coming in your red zone. I like my partner to hold the shield and randomly "cross the line". I then extend my leg and compound its power by adding his forward momentum to it.
2Green

Post by 2Green »

..and my thanks also for clarifying what I had called the LV-kick (low velocity kick), I didn't know what else to call it.

One video is worth then thousand words!
I'm going to study it over again, it's exactly what I was looking for.

NM
The music spoke to me. I felt compelled to answer.
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

George, nice teaching style. :D
I was dreaming of the past...
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

"George, nice teaching style."

Ditto. :D

Return to “Kihon (basic training drills)”