Sexual Bias

This is Dave Young's Forum.
Can you really bridge the gap between reality and training? Between traditional karate and real world encounters? Absolutely, we will address in this forum why this transition is necessary and critical for survival, and provide suggestions on how to do this correctly. So come in and feel welcomed, but leave your egos at the door!
AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

I agree with you guys, but can you blame people for being sexist?

When a woman hits a man, generally, she CANT cause as much damage as when a guy hits a girl. Lets face it.

Yes, with enough training, a woman can kick a man's ass really bad. Hell, just look in WKS and you see that.

But you know what i mean. Lets face it, a guy has more power in his punch then a woman does. Hell, if you watch men street fight and woman street fight. In rick's class, we were watching fight videos. Untrained men tend to throw haymakers, which if they actaully connect, hurt. Untrained woman i noticed, do this wierd pathetic excuse for a chain punch thing that goes from up to down, that might actually work if they turn them into hammer fists, which even then would ******. Atleast with a haymaker, you got some mass in the swing.

So if a guy is getting abused by a woman, so what? Sure there are no shelters but, calling the cops still does some good.

Now if she starts picking things up...well that is another story.

I think i went off topic again.........
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

can you blame people for being sexist?
Yes...but I understand what your saying. However, actions should be judged without basing it on gender, size, age (unless your a young offender :roll: but that`s another topic especially in Canada) race or whatever "differences" we choose to offer a handicap.
Léo
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

First... Thanks for catching my back, George, and thanks for understanding what I really meant, Marcus. This is why we all need to get to know each other well before getting in difficult discussions. It's too easy to become a victim of the phantom insult, and I often write way too fast to consider the emotional impact of whatever place my brain chooses to go when racing like it sometimes does.

I think the social status thing is important. Let me explain myself. When I was a young buck in graduate school and had negative net worth, I could get away with doing a lot of things that I can't right now. I was in an academic environment, so it was OK to speak my mind without fear of losing my student status (even though the PC police can be a severe annoyance). And if someone got an owie in one of my very large classes, a lawyer would laugh at them if they chose to sue me. First, I was usually right because I ran a tight ship. And second, I told everyone they were more than welcome to sue for my substantial pile of student loans. :P

Now I work for a company where I can get fired for saying something that makes another person uncomfortable. I almost got a severe sanction because I made a "between the two of us" funny comment to another Asian I knew well and had been out partying with the night before. We knew each other well and we could tease each other like that. But someone who overheard our conversation was offended FOR HIM. Go figure... I had to write a formal letter of apology to my friend. Fortunately he in turn wrote a formal letter back saying how he understood what I meant and that the apology was not necessary.

Furthermore... I can now be perfectly in the right in what I do in society, but someone can now choose to sue me because they smell a house and perhaps a bank account and.. and... I can be found innocent, but have to bear the cost of defending myself and recover from the damage to my reputation which may tip the balance the next time I choose to apply for a high profile job, etc., etc. Don't think it doesn't happen, because it does. I've been on the job search side, and been on the hiring side. If you've got 4 equally qualified candidates for a position, you will pick the one who is the path of least trouble.

Life was much more fun when I was young and worthless. :lol:

Honor and reputation used to mean a lot in this country in some social circles. It still does at times... It takes a lifetime to build it, and one unfortunate incident to lose it all. This is why duels were not uncommon in the past.

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I'm going to take a previous post and play devil's advocate to it. It seems so right and so innocent until...
someone wrote: So if a guy is getting abused by a woman, so what? Sure there are no shelters but, calling the cops still does some good.
Let's see now... I'll do a little bit of research in my local paper. What can I find?
Woman convicted of first-degree murder

Richmond Times-Dispatch Oct 21, 2005

RUSTBURG -- It took a Campbell County Circuit Court jury about 2½ hours on Wednesday to convict Kimberly Rudder of first-degree murder and arson; they took 10 minutes to recommend a sentence.

Rudder, 43, set fire to the Altavista home she shared with her boyfriend, causing his death on Nov. 5, 2003.
New theory, suspect spur probe into 1990 slaying
Woman who has since died suspected in the killing of 18-year-old

BY MATTHEW LAKIN
MEDIA GENERAL NEWS SERVICE Oct 21, 2005

ABINGDON -- Fifteen years after Tammy Eleene Salyer's death, another federal grand jury is investigating the case.

It's the latest development in the homicide case, which began just after midnight Feb. 28, 1990, when police found Salyer, 18, dead from a gunshot wound inside her wrecked car off Interstate 81 in Bristol.

Police said at the time that the bullet that killed her came from a passing car. Her car ran off the road, crossed the median and the southbound lanes, ricocheted off a tree and crashed into a fence, police said.

That story changed last month when Bristol Police Chief Bill Price issued a statement naming a woman who died in 1997 as the suspected killer. The woman, Judy Annette Blanton Weaver, had dated Salyer's fiancé and reportedly threatened her in the weeks before the shooting, according to police records.
Ingram tells of kin's domestic-abuse ordeal
Hopewell delegate speaks at event where issue was discussed

BY ANDREW PRICE
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Oct 15, 2005

PRINCE GEORGE -- Del. Riley E. Ingram, R-Hopewell, didn't plan to speak yesterday at a news conference on domestic violence.

But after hearing several local leaders address the troubling topic, Ingram gave an emotional, graphic personal story.

He said he has a family member who has been in constant pain after years as a domestic-violence victim.

{snip}

The delegate's words were poignant as community leaders gathered at Scott Park in Prince George County to discuss an issue that is "known, but hidden," Hopewell Mayor Vanessa C. Justice said.

Local leaders used to convene at a one-day event to discuss domestic violence, then move on, she said.

So Justice said she wanted to bring elected leaders, law-enforcement officials, social-services employees and others together to network and find long-term solutions.

Representatives from seven jurisdictions -- the counties of Chesterfield, Prince George and Dinwiddie, and the cities of Hopewell, Colonial Heights and Petersburg, and Fort Lee -- assembled yesterday to talk about how the localities are dealing with the problem.

The event coincides with Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Officials also addressed preventive approaches to tackle the issue.

"We want to work together to make families stronger and to make families more aware," Justice said.

Law enforcement is one approach, but there must be other solutions, some leaders said.

"When prosecution has become the first line of defense, we have failed our communities," Hopewell Commonwealth's Attorney Anthony N. Sylvester said.

Domestic violence can happen to people of all ages, genders and race, leaders said.

Petersburg Commonwealth's Attorney Cassandra Burns referred to a recent double homicide in Petersburg. A 65-year-old man is accused of shooting his wife and son.

"It's not just young women and young men," she said.
Wife indicted in dismemberment slaying

By JEFFREY GOLD
Associated Press Writer Oct 12, 2005

NEWARK, N.J. - A woman charged in June with killing her husband has been indicted on charges of murder and the desecration of his corpse, which washed up in suitcases in waters off Virginia, authorities said Wednesday.

Melanie McGuire was also accused of perjury and a weapons violation, according to the four-count indictment handed up by a state grand jury on Tuesday and made public Wednesday.
That's just a couple of articles in the last few weeks...

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

someone wrote: So if a guy is getting abused by a woman, so what?
So what...

People talk often in a cavalier fashion about their fighting methods (of doom...) which teach them to flinch right INTO a surprise attack whereby they kick the *&%$ out of the person who just did that.

Fine...

So what happens when a male trained to respond this way is sucker-punched by a spouse or girlfriend? Are we to expect that programming to be SO SELECTIVE that a violent response NEVER would happen?

Guess again.

And how will it look when the police show up later on?

Would you let your child beat on a police dog? 8O

All I have to say to a man slugged by a woman is the following.

You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don’t need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don’t need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

There must be at least fifty ways... :wink:

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

The problem is all inside your head
She said to me
The answer is easy if you
Take it logically
I’d like to help you in your struggle
To be free
There must be fifty ways
To leave your lover

She said it’s really not my habit
To intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning
Won’t be lost or misconstrued
But I’ll repeat myself
At the risk of being crude
There must be fifty ways
To leave your lover
Fifty ways to leave your lover

She said it grieves me so
To see you in such pain
I wish there was something I could do
To make you smile again
I said I appreciate that
And would you please explain
About the fifty ways

She said why don’t we both
Just sleep on it tonight
And I believe in the morning
You’ll begin to see the light
And then she kissed me
And I realized she probably was right
There must be fifty ways
To leave your lover
Fifty ways to leave your lover
CANDANeh

Drop off the key L....

Post by CANDANeh »

:lol:
Been there done that just finished paying off
Léo
ljr

Post by ljr »

Stryke wrote:
there is quite simply a disadvantage between men and women physically , emotionally , phsychologically , chemically Bill
Why is it a disadvantage?
Stryke wrote: this cookie cutter equality nonsense is just that IMHO , we are all equal but equal differently .
Ok, If I aggree with you on those two comments... does that mean it is ok for me to pay a lower salary or not hire a woman because I believe her difference will make her a less valued employee? What if she was pregnant during the interview and I feared her leaving the job for an extended period of time? (BTW if I did, I believe I would have a lawsuit against me)

As an employer.... is it ok for me to be happy for a man because his spouse got pregnant because I believe he will be more dedicated to the job? While at the same time fearing a woman who is pregnant because I fear she will not be as dedicated?

cheers,
ljr
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Why is it a disadvantage?
when it comes to violence men are better suited physically and nuture wise ....

I`m just talking about violence ;)

I think women have there positives too :lol:
ljr

Post by ljr »

Stryke wrote: I think women have there positives too :lol:
We definitely agree there!

But, I will tell you, I used to bounce and some of the most brutal and violent attacts were done by women on other women... and at least half the times men were in a fight, there was a woman egging at least one of the guys on.
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Ive bounced too and I agree .

whenever there was a fight , quite often there was a women .

But we cant blame the ladys can we ?
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Stryke wrote:
whenever there was a fight , quite often there was a women .

But we cant blame the ladys can we ?
You're gonna have to kill a dragon for some of this!
- Princess Geraldine (a.k.a. Flip Wilson)

Stryke

Post by Stryke »

:lol: :lol:
IJ

Post by IJ »

"But, I will tell you, I used to bounce and some of the most brutal and violent attacts were done by women on other women."

Sure, but the question is, who has the upper hand in most fights between a man and a woman?

Luckily, its a question I've never needed to answer, because aside from a great relationship in which there was occasional (regulation) sparring, I haven't had a relationship (and like to think i will not) with someone who can't disagree on a verbal only level.
--Ian
ljr

Post by ljr »

IJ wrote:"But, I will tell you, I used to bounce and some of the most brutal and violent attacts were done by women on other women."

Sure, but the question is, who has the upper hand in most fights between a man and a woman?
This thread started about sexual bias... I agree that in many (most?) sistuations the man will have the upper hand, but you have to be careful of falling into a "bias". It is just as easy to say, the wife should always get the kids in a divorce. I you do not look at ech situation as an individual situation you can fall into a bias.

cheers,
ljr

Return to “Realist Training”