Matayoshi Bo Kata

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

John Giacoletti

Matayoshi Bo Kata

Post by John Giacoletti »

I've learned four bo Kata in the Matayoshi line, from my instructors, from Gushi Sensei, from the Sunami Matayoshi video and from the two videos that Mikio Nishiuchi has produced, now remastered and released as DVDs.

The first is Shu Shi No Kun which I understand is the most widely practiced bo kata.

This is followed by Choun No Kun and Sakugawa No Kun which Master Gushi teaches along with Sejun No Bo.

The fourth bo kata in the Matayoshi school line is Tsuken No Kun, which I've recently learned.

There is one more, Kata 5, according to the Conclusion of Nishiushi's Bo Tape Two.

Anyone know what that Kata is?

My feeling of my body in a geographical space, my ability to generate power through my trunk and hips, my execution of specific karate techniques ... circle blocks, in particular ... has improved tremendously through weapons training.

Some people get maxed out with one or two weapons kata, but I have room for a few more :lol:
There is much to make of every moment.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

John,

It's called Shiishi no Kon, attributed to Shiishi Ryuko who was one of Matayoshi Shinko's bo teachers.

The best multimedia source for Matayoshi kobudo kata that I have seen is this DVD filmed in Okinawa:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009 ... ance&n=130
It is entirely Japanese language but has Matayoshi Shinpo's senior students performing virtually all of the Matayoshi kata, including all five bo kata, as well as some hojo undo, bunkai, and prearranged kumite. They tend to be very nice performances with decent camera work.

They used two settings, the first half of the DVD is filmed at what I presume is the Matayoshi headquarters dojo and the second half filmed on a beach.

The only one of his students whom I definitely recognize is Gakiya Yoshiaki, who performs the Eku kata and one bo kata, Sakugawa no Kon I think. Matayoshi also performs Eku for it.

The link above is to the DVD on Amazon, but I got my copy off Ebay a year or two ago for about half the price.
Glenn
John Giacoletti

BO Kata

Thanks Glenn. I was hoping that you would have an answer. I have heard the name Shiishi No Kon. I'll check out the reference and get rolling with it.

Much gras 8)
John Giacoletti

Historical Note

The founder of the Matayoshi ryu line of Kobudo was Shinko Matayoshi (1888-1947).

He was followed by his son Shinpo Matayoshi (1921-1997).

Several of Kanbun Uechi's senior students went on to practice Matayoshi Kobudo. Wonder why?

Ryuyu Tomoyose was Kanbun's first student and was followed by:

Genmei Uezato (Kume jima, Okinawa)

Saburo Uehara (father of Takenobo Uehara, Oroku) Shinyu Gushi's first insturctor was Saburo Uehara of Oroku.

Isamu Uehara

Kata Yamashiro (Ie jima, Okinawa)

Yoshitada Matayoshi (Urasoe)

Kanei Uechi (Motobu)

In addition, in Kanbun's first public dojo, the Shataku dojo in Wakayama, Japan, the fourth most senior student was Koshin Matayoshi

Uechi Kanbun's early students were from the close-knit exile Okinawan community in Wakayama and the two Matayoshi students were possibly related to Shinko Matayoshi and his son Shinpo Matayoshi.

Uechi Kanbun was proficient in Izumi bo. One of Seizen Breyette's things to do is to find if the kata is still practiced or demonstrated at festivals in the tiny Izumi village. :)
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Yes but some family names may simply be common ones. Anyone know how common of a name is Matayoshi on Okinawa? Or Uechi for that matter? Mark Bishop's book mentions a Goju Ryu senior who is also named Uechi Kanei. Then there was the well-known Higashionna who taught what Goju Ryu is derived from, and at the same time there was another Higashionna who practiced a different form of karate. If you browse through Bishop's book, you tend to see the same family names in different styles. I have no clue how closely related the individuals are, but likely some of it is just commonality of certain family names.

I'm still waiting to find another Humphress doing martial arts. :D

In actuality from what I understand most of the seniors in Matayoshi kobudo tend to also train in Goju Ryu. This close relationship between the Matayoshi and Goju dojo is due to the fact that when Matayoshi Shinpo returned to Okinawa in 1957 (after 19 years in mainland Japan) he taught kobudo in Goju Ryu dojo until he founded his own dojo in 1960.

I suspect that the reason many Uechi seniors also study Matayoshi kobudo is because Matayoshi is one of the more common kobudo styles on Okinawa.
Glenn
David Hayward

Post by David Hayward »

To my knowledge there are a number of Uechi seniors that learned under Matayoshi Sensei. A number of which were in the Pai gai noon /Konan Ryu group(s) that broke away from the Soke in the mid 70's. I believe one of the Konan Ryu groups has incorporated Matayaoshi sensei 's Crane Kata into their system.

As stated by Glenn many of the seniors were also Go Ju students due to sensei teaching at a Goju dojo for many years. Other students simply lived in the Naha area.
Mayayoshi Shinpo's favourite weapon was the Eku. I was in Okinawa in 1997 when he died and attended his funeral. Sensei was cremated with his favourite Eku at his side.

When Matayoshi sensei visited Australia in 1995 he was promoting the video referred to by Glenn. I think a particular point was made that the seniors who demonstrated in this video were primarily Kobudo students first and foremost, and therefore the technique was particularly correct and not influenced by a Karate style
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

David Hayward wrote: To my knowledge there are a number of Uechi seniors that learned under Matayoshi Sensei. A number of which were in the Pai gai noon /Konan Ryu group(s) that broke away from the Soke in the mid 70's.
I have some connection with this group, Itokazu Seiki and Kinjo Takashi were the primary ones who formed the new Pangainoon Ryu (now Konan Ryu) group in the late 1970s, Nishiuchi Mikio (who made the kobudo video set John refers to above) was a student of Kinjo, and my current teacher was a student of Kinjo, Nishiuchi, and another of Nishiuchi's students for several years. Kobudo is a very important part of this group's training, I would say they train equally 50-50 in karate and kobudo. Kinjo is best known for his Eku skill and teaching.
David Hayward wrote: I believe one of the Konan Ryu groups has incorporated Matayaoshi sensei 's Crane Kata into their system.
I do not believe any of the ones I mentioned train in the Hakutsuru (crane) kata, but I do not know everyone in the Pangainoon/Konan Ryu group.

David, I read that Matayoshi Shinpo learned the crane kata from Gokenki, but I have never heard where he learned the apparent monkey style that he demonstrates on his videos, do you have any info on this?
David Hayward wrote: As stated by Glenn many of the seniors were also Go Ju students due to sensei teaching at a Goju dojo for many years. Other students simply lived in the Naha area.
Mayayoshi Shinpo's favourite weapon was the Eku. I was in Okinawa in 1997 when he died and attended his funeral. Sensei was cremated with his favourite Eku at his side.

When Matayoshi sensei visited Australia in 1995 he was promoting the video referred to by Glenn. I think a particular point was made that the seniors who demonstrated in this video were primarily Kobudo students first and foremost, and therefore the technique was particularly correct and not influenced by a Karate style
It definitely has impressive performances. It not a training video per se, but it will give you plenty to work with if you already have familiarity with the Matayoshi style.
Glenn
David Hayward

Post by David Hayward »

[/quote]It definitely has impressive performances. It not a training video per se, but it will give you plenty to work with if you already have familiarity with the Matayoshi style.

My copy is just about worn out.
David, I read that Matayoshi Shinpo learned the crane kata from Gokenki, but I have never heard where he learned the apparent monkey style that he demonstrates on his videos, do you have any info on this?

I believe that Matayoshi Sensei referred to his style as Kingai, which is interesting as I had heard that Master Kanei often referred to Go Ju as Kingai. Not sure whether this was more of a generic term as with pan gai in meaning hard/soft.

Matayoshi sensei said that his father learned these forms whilst studying in China. Other than that I am not sure of the origins, however I have seen the exact same monkey kata performed by a young boy who was part of troupe of Shaolin Monks that tour around putting on demonstrations.

It was also explaind that the first kata on the video is a praying mantis form.
John Giacoletti

Matayoshi line

Master Senega is a former Matayoshi Shinpo student. I think he's seventh dan in Kobudo and 9th in Uechi.

Master Guishi was a student of Sieki Itokazu, and he is now 9th dan in Uechi and the same in Kobudo.

Nishiuchi was, I believe, a Godan in weapons when he started the Panther video series. He seems IMHO to push his chudan and other strikes; they begin from a diagonal rather than from a vertical axis.

I prefer Gushi's technique and Shinpo Matayoshi's technique to Nishiuchi's :)
Glenn

Re: Matayoshi line

Post by Glenn »

John Giacoletti wrote: Nishiuchi was, I believe, a Godan in weapons when he started the Panther video series. He seems IMHO to push his chudan and other strikes; they begin from a diagonal rather than from a vertical axis.

I prefer Gushi's technique and Shinpo Matayoshi's technique to Nishiuchi's :)
Eh, well, I've never met him but from what I've heard Nishiuchi has a habit of doing his own thing. :lol: I am not sure he is still affiliated with Kinjo Takashi, I've heard there may have been a falling out there. I'll not say more since it is all hearsay. We have the greatest respect and admiration for Kinjo sensei though. Dave left the Pangainoon/Konan Ryu organization due to differences with his direct teacher and Nishiuchi (who use to run a dojo near here, in Omaha Nebraska, before he moved to California), and I'm certainly glad Dave came under George's Uechi Ryu organization and Franco Sanguinetti's Matayoshi Ryu group. I think these have been much better fits for him.
Glenn
John Giacoletti

Matayoshi Kobudo

Glenn,

The Matayoshi Traditional Okinawan Kobudo DVD arrived today from Amazon.

It's great, really a first class production. The photography is excellent detailed to the extent that one can follow the kata and bunkai and learn them.

The training hall is immaculate and beautiful. I particularly liked the Samurai armor and helmet which are, I believe, an award bestowed by the Japanese government. Shinjo has one of the helmets.

Choun No Kon and Sakagawa No Kon as performed by the senior students are dynamic and intense. They are exactly as taght by Gushi Sensei to us. Nishiushi's versions have differences in the jumpbacks in each kata.

I noted in the kumite with the machete like sword and shield vs. the bo that the bo wasn't severed by direct cuts of the sword. Not a Samurai katana :lol:

The ladies should take note that one of the senior students is a woman who performs a nunchuku and a bo kata. Wow are her legs short!

I could figure out the names of the bo kata but not for the sai or other weapons.

Thanks again for the reference.
Glenn

Re: Matayoshi Kobudo

Post by Glenn »

John Giacoletti wrote: I noted in the kumite with the machete like sword and shield vs. the bo that the bo wasn't severed by direct cuts of the sword. Not a Samurai katana :lol:
No but fun to watch! The sword and shield are collectively called "tinbe" (at least I think the term applies to both).
I could figure out the names of the bo kata but not for the sai or other weapons.
Since the DVD does not come with a menu, nor does the case list one, I sat down one afternoon and created one as best I could, and I believe it to be reasonably accurate.
Matayoshi Shinpo at tomb/shrine
- monkey form (although I think this is the one David says is a Praying Mantis form)
- an ad-lib bo demonstration using parts from various kata
At the Kodokan
- bo hojo undo 1-5
- Shushi no Kon kata
- Tsuken no Kon kata
- Choun no Kon kata
- Shiishi no Kon kata
- Sakugawa no Kon kata
- Kuwa kata (hoe)
- Sansetsu no Kon kata (3-section staff)
- Shinbaru no Sai kata (this is the main sai kata in Matayoshi Ryu)
- Nuntei no Kon kata (bo with a manji sai attached to one end)
- bo hojo undo 1-5 bunkai
- bo hojo undo 1-5 bunkai with Kendo protection
- Tonfa Dai Ichi kata
- Shiishi no Kon kata (performed by Gakiya Yoshiaki)
- Tinbe kata (performed by Gakiya Yoshiaki)
- tinbe vs bo prearranged kumite
- another tinbe vs bo prearranged kumite
- eku vs bo prearranged kumite
- Tsuken Akachu no Eku kata (performed by Matayoshi Shinpo)
- monkey form (performed by Matayoshi Shinpo)
At the Beach
- Sai Shodan kata
- Sai Nidan kata
- Manji Sai kata (performed by Gakiya Yoshiaki)
- Tonfa Dai Ichi kata
- Nunchaku Sandan kata
- Tsuken Akachu no Eku kata (performed by Gakiya Yoshiaki)
- eku vs kuwa prearranged kumite
- Sansetsu no Kon kata
- sansetsu vs 2 bo prearranged kumite
- tonfa vs bo prearranged kumite
- Kama kata (performed by Gakiya Yoshiaki)
- Suruchin kata (chain with a weight at one end)
- Sakagawa no Kon kata (performed by Gakiya Yoshiaki)
- Nuntei no Kon kata
- Hakatsuru kata (performed by Matayoshi Shinpo)
Thanks again for the reference.

You're most welcome, enjoy!
Last edited by Glenn on Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
John Giacoletti

INDEX TO DVD

That's a supurb index Glenn and a labor of love.

I'm going to share the DVD with a couple of friends and the Index will be very useful.
Tsuken Akachu no Eku kata (performed by Matayoshi Shinpo)
- monkey form (performed by Matayoshi Shinpo)
At the Beach
I like the way he smiles when he gets up. If that's a monkey form it's a loaded, drunk monkey :lol:

One of the guys I work out with is Dr. Norm Urich, "Te." He was one of the guys in our dojo who used to go out your way and train with Snyder for dan ranking tests. He's a sandan now in kobudo, godan in Uechi.

Snyder preceded his dan tests with epic workouts. The guys respected him; he knew his stuff :D Te says Snyder is about his age, late 50's now.

domo arigato
Glenn

Re: INDEX TO DVD

Post by Glenn »

John Giacoletti wrote: One of the guys I work out with is Dr. Norm Urich, "Te." He was one of the guys in our dojo who used to go out your way and train with Snyder for dan ranking tests. He's a sandan now in kobudo, godan in Uechi.

Snyder preceded his dan tests with epic workouts. The guys respected him; he knew his stuff :D Te says Snyder is about his age, late 50's now.
Yes, Snyder is part of the Pangainoon/Konan Ryu group, he trained under Nishiuchi and Kinjo. My instructor, Dave, trained under Snyder, Nishiuchi, and Kinjo in the 1980s until differences between him and Snyder caused Dave to go his own way, and then he joined George's group. Actually Dave's training under Snyder goes all the way back to when Snyder taught Tae Kwon Do in the 1970s, before they switched to Pangainoon/Konan Ryu in the 1980s.

Snyder turns 53 this year. He still teaches in Lincoln, but a news-making shall we say lack of judgement on his part a couple years ago hurt his reputation around here. He seems to be rebuilding though.
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

David Hayward wrote:
When Matayoshi sensei visited Australia in 1995 he was promoting the video referred to by Glenn. I think a particular point was made that the seniors who demonstrated in this video were primarily Kobudo students first and foremost, and therefore the technique was particularly correct and not influenced by a Karate style.
Emphasis is my own...

David

While I appreciate what you are saying... While what you say is probably pretty much verbatim what was said, this comment grates on me.

What is "correct?" Is this edict or art? Is it fluid or written in stone? Does the student breathe life into the form, or the other way around?

When I go to the batting cage, do I try to stand at the plate like Johnny Damon?

I agree that that having good reference books going way back to primary sources is a good thing. But knowledge evolves.

Just a thought, David. I'm not raggin' on you. I just think we need to be precise with our language, and not get caught up in the master worship syndrome. Otherwise we miss out on the genius of what they do.

It reminds me a bit of an episode of Star Trek, the Next Generation. Captain Picard is attempting to teach Data how to be more human. So he gives him some Shakespeare to read, and has him perform in a play. And what does Data do? He takes the performances of several other great actors, and makes a mathematical average of their efforts.

Aaarrrgggghhh!!!!

Captain Picard knew he had failed. When we do such a thing, do WE know we've missed the point? What is form, and what is substance?

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”