Scary stupid

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Wow.... Lots of commentary. I'm not sure all of it is sound.

Both officers appear to have done fine. I'm surprised at the commentary about the first officer's motion. He did beautifully. You need space to draw a firearm. And you need to evade a certain attack as was shown in the first video. That Pit was not messing around. Without a firearm drawn and in a position to shoot, that first officer was toast.

Another thing to consider in these video situations is the large number of people around the immediate attack situation. What appears like some hesitation on the officers to me is IMO very wise, careful planning of the direction of a shot. In both videos, the place was swarming with kids. It doesn't make sense to draw the weapon and start shooting a la Wild West scenario.

IMO the most important thing both officers did was to face the dog. Never, ever show your back either to an attacking human or an attacking dog. Much is written about this both in dog management and killology literature.

My own dog (Rhodesian Ridgeback) has a very powerful hunting instinct when we bring him out in the yard. Even as a puppy... It took a while for me to train my boys how to move with him. Now it's a big game for everyone, and they all enjoy the challenge of "fox and hound" games.

The thing I like about the first officer's movement is his meandering evasion tactics as the dog was charging and he was drawing/aiming his weapon. No pun intended - it was bull and toreador. I'm impressed with the calm with which he went about some very serious business. He deserves kudos for avoiding firing his weapon in such a crowded situation - all while maintaining control.

- Bill
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

Tenacity is their strongest quality. The ability to ignore the pain and get it done. I love my little beast even if he destroys anything he can steal out of the shed wood, plastic recycling bins, metal plant hangers, whatever.

AAAhmed46

Post by AAAhmed46 »

Pit bulls scare the ##### out of me.
gmattson
Site Admin

Pit Bulls are like people...

Post by gmattson »

Given the right circumstances, all can be vicious. Because of its strength, speed and natural fighting abilities, Pit bulls can easily be trained to fight. I've seen Pit bull fights back in the 60s. They are not pretty and the owners of these dogs are not nice people. These animals only exist to fight. If one gets loose, it may attack anything that moves. That is what they are trained to do.

And like other breeds, there are Pit bulls that are simply "bad". Even if these dogs are given a loving home and are never abused, they can, without provocation, turn on their owner or a child that happens to be nearby. No reason needed. These "bad" dogs, regardless of breed, give their owners lots of advance notice of their bad behavior, which, unfortunately, is often ignored.

Pit bulls get lots of bad press because they have the appearance of a fighter, but the statistics show that many other breeds are far more aggressive and are guilty of many more unprovoked attacks than Pitt bulls.

Unfortunately, Pit bulls are the guard dog of choice for the "gang banger", drug dealers and others, who train these "eager to please" animals to fight, not to be pets.

Sue and I have nothing but praise for our Herman, Bally and Tia Pit bulls. Herman was a mixed breed, part Standard Poodle and part Pit Bull - "Bally", who was an "Old Family Red" Pit bull and of course our "Colby" Tia.
Three "Pits" from three different blood lines of Pit Bulls - all spirited, loving members of the Mattson family.
"Tia" (Now 13 years old and still acts like a puppy)[/img]
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Originally posted by George Mattson:

"Pit Bulls are like people...
Given the right circumstances, all can be vicious. Because of its strength, speed and natural fighting abilities, Pit bulls can easily be trained to fight."

Sounds like karate. :wink: :lol:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Who's the boss? :lol:

fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Once again, in case anyone missed it, this is Uechi ryu. :lol:

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

fivedragons wrote:
I can't find a picture that resembles Roxanne, she's one of a kind, but imagine the one on the right with gold and black stripes. :D

Sorry it took me a while to say this. The color pattern you speak of is called "brindle." It is common in many breeds of dogs.

My sister breeds Great Danes. Fawns and Brindles can come out of the same litter.

Here is the classic fawn coloring.

And here are several examples of the brindle coloring.

Lighter-colored brindle

Darker-colored brindle

- Bill
fivedragons

Post by fivedragons »

Yeah, I know, I looked up brindle, but there wasn't anything that looked like Roxanne.

I think she was a pit boxer mix.

Dogs are like people, there aren't two alike. :wink:
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

Bill,

Is this the color you where looking for? The little one was my other pit who went a little pshyco.

Chris
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Yep. There it is. 8) Beautiful dogs, by the way.

You see brindle pit bulls, brindle boxers, brindle greyhounds, brindle whippets, etc., etc.

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”