Drool-worthy Website

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

Hugh

Drool-worthy Website

Post by Hugh »

I am posting a link to a favorite website of mine. It is the site oif Patrick Barta, a swordsmith in the Czech Republic, who makes the most exceptionally beautiful swords that I have ever seen. I bought one of the very first of his swords to come into this country back in 2001. It was his number 102 Roman Riding Sword, a replica of a sword pulled from a Danish bog in the late 19th Century. I paid $250 plus shipping and that price was an absolute steal as I was later to learn. His current price of 400EUROs for that sword is still a reasonable price, IMO. Ever since I got that sword, I have been saving for another and last November I ordered one. I ordered his number 118 Sword, a reproduction of the sword pulled from the Thames River at Abingdon, England. The guard and pommel are covered in engraved silver and the blade is pattern-welded steel.

Patrick starts with iron ore and charcoal and makes his iron and steel in the same way that they made them back at the time that the swords were originally made. It has been said that he does not make replicas but modern-made versions of the original swords. I have seen and held his reproduction of the sword from the Sutton Hoo burial, his number 115 Spatha sword. It is nothing short of exquisite with all of the inset garnets perfectly hand-cut and fitted. If ever a sword were worth 3200EUROs, this one is. If you think that his prices are too high, perhaps his backlog of work will tell you something of how people judge the value of his work. I am now seven months into a 30 month waiting period for him to get to my sword and he is confidant enough in his market not to ask for any money until the sword is completed. I can assure you that, were I to have to back out at that point, there would be a very ready market for it.

Here is his web address:
http://www.templ.net/english/

Just don't drool too hard on your computer keyboards as they get expensive when they short out. :D John, take a look at his Roman swords and dream.
Trying to Walk in the Light, Hugh
1 John 1:5
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Has anyone any thoughts on Patrick or on his work? I am quite interested in any responses.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Here is a review of the Sutton Hoo Sword from MyArmoury. I was amazed when I read that Paul had actually taken this work of art into his back yard and tried it out on some tree limbs!

http://www.myarmoury.com/review_tmpl_suthoo.html

And here is a longish thread from Patrick Kelly about his experience with Patrick Barta in having a custom sword made. The results speak for themselves.

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8875

I have no idea how many of you are sword lovers, but even looking at Patrick Barta's work simply turns me on as much as a fix turns on a junkie.
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

No prices on his Katana.
The fittings look very nice though.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

My guess is that he does not have a great demand for Japanese blades so the pricing on them is most likely negotiable depending upon just what you want. Remember that his work is all by hand and custom.
JOHN THURSTON

Oh Dear

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I just gotta have those Roman Replicas in my collection.

Thanks for passing this along.

As far as Katana go I have recommended Bugei ( way expensive) and anything from the Paul Chen/Hanwei forge.

The Latter used to be reasonably priced but their cost is starting to climb as well/
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Dale Houser

Post by Dale Houser »

This is very nice. Thanks for the link and info.
The martial arts begin and end with respect...
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Just out of curiosity, what do you all make of his number 118 Abingdon Sword? That is the one that I am ordering and I am quite taken with it.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

All this talk by John and Fred of Paul Chen's Daisho sets forces me to bump my post on Patrick Barta's incredible work back to the top with the note that I am 1/3 of the way through his 30 month backlog. Hurrah!! Only 20 more months and some 2200 EUROs to go. :D :cry: :D
JOHN THURSTON

Abingdon Sword

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Hi Hugh, Dale, Fred:

Yes, it would be hard not to be taken by the beauty of Mr. Barca's Abingdon Sword.

It is difficult to 'review' a sword without having it in one's hands, but the beauty of the sword as it appears coupled with the recommendations of our emminent scholar Hugh would certainly induce me to purchase it, if cash were available to me to do so.

Frankly, I would probably by a Spatha of Gladius first, but that is just a matter of personal interest and preference.

My "Encyclopedia of the Sword" deigns not to mention this blade-which is too bad.

Neither is there an illustration of a blade from this period in my "Arms and Armor" by Vesey Norman.

So, I will dig about a bit and see if I can come up with a more intelligent answer that "Gee-looks good!!" (which of course it does)

j
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Well, I already have his Roman Riding Sword, number 102. It is, as I have said, beautifully made, especially for the money. But the Roman sowrd for which I lust is his number 116 Roman Ring Pommel Sword. This is a 3rd Century item that most think was taken from the Sarmatians against whom Marcus Aurelius spent much of his time fighting. They were the origins of the European cataphracti as opposed to the Eastern clibanarii who were derved from the Parthians. As usual, my taste in such things runs to the pricier, 2800 EUROs!!! 8O

Another of Patrick's beautiful but pricey items is his number 206 sword from the "middleage and modern age" section. It is about the most gorgeoius rapier that I have ever seen. It should be at 2650 EUROs.

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”