Best Battle Rifle??

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

RACastanet

Ordering from the CMP

Post by RACastanet »

Van: You need to visit the CMP homepage to see the requirements to purchase weapons and ammo and parts:

http://www.odcmp.com/

Once there, click on FAQs and the Sales link to get more info. As for shipping to MA the ordering info makes no statement about innelligible states. You might want to contact customer service for specifics:

custserve@odcmp.com

The CMP has a special setup and you do not need to be an FFL to receive a shipment from them. If you qualify to purchase the product will be shipped to your door. However, it must be signed for.

The NRA does not count as a club for ordering purposes. You must belong to a state organization, and some military organiations are accepted. I belong to the Virginia Shooting Sports Assn and the Marine Corps League, both of which are accepted. Acceptable clubs are listed in the links I provided.

My M1s and Carbines came to my door. FedEx air will allow you to pick up at the local depot. Ammo is shipped FedEx Ground and cannot be held and picked up at the depot.

At present, the CMP has millions of rounds of HXP so there is no extreme urgency. As it is well packed in 'spam' cans it will keep for decades though a few cans have had some interior corrosion. I plan to buy a few spam cans next winter as it is a great way to have long term storage and the spam can is neat! Get the can with ammo in bandoliers with clips and you will be ready for the huns.

CMP also has Aguilla .30 carbine but little is left of that. Not bad from what I hear.

The really good news is that the CMP recently received tens of thousands of M1 returns. They will be released as soon as they get the carbines cleaned and shipped. Watch the website and get on board! One is not enough!

The recent release of carbines and M1s has a downside... Parts are now at a premium. M14 parts are now worth their weight in gold.

Regarding loading an extra round in the M1 to fool the bad guys, putting in 9 rounds is no problem. Put one in the chamber by hand then ram in the clip. I have also topped off but beware of 'M1 thumb'. i have heard the rumor that 10 rounds will fit but I have never tried it.

At present, 7.62 NATO surplus has dried up. Ammo I purchased a few years ago for 15 to 18 cents a round is now over 50 cents. And that is if you can find any. Right now, surplus M2 30-06 is the way to go. Even 5.56mm NATO is expensive and somewhat scarce these days. Stock up if you find it.

Any more questions?

Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Personally I think it`d be hard to go past something like a HK G3 or maybe an SLR/FN-fal
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Everything I deal with at work is rising in price because the Chinese are buying it up (supposedly).

Hope the same isn't true of bullets.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Give it thirty years Fred , China will be the most powerful DEMOCRACY in the world

and there exporters of more bullets than the US I think 8O :wink:
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

That's why my daughter is in her 2nd year of Chinese. :wink:

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
JOHN THURSTON

Premature Ejection

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

:D

Hello:

Finally this thread has a head of steam up. Those who have visited here should find contribute to the "Marine Sniper" thead.

I think, as to the M-1, M-1 Carbine and M-2 I am only going to add the odd (and Dale will speak to how odd I can be) comment.

Yes, Fred I am not in total disagreement as to the military channel's
Best Battle Rifle picks.

The M--1 En bloc clip, partially emptied can, as noted by finding the "L" shaped "switch lever" (not really either) on the left upper side of the receiver and pressing the short foot of the "L", which is upper most, to the right.

Assuming the bolt is open, properly operating this switch will empty the rifle.

I don't want to set any parameters for judgement here.

Fred may wish to stick with the MC's and perhaps, next time, discuss the rating of a particular weapon at a given point in time say Pre-1937, when the Garand did not exist, or as of 1939.

There were no 'true' assualt rifles used in Korea-both the M-2 Carbine and the PPSH, both chambered 7.62mm rounds.

The PPSH catridge was shorter than the M-1 Carbine round.

The M-2 and PPSH could be 'dubbed' "machine Carbines" and an argument made that neither be considered Battle Rifle (ie: one that uses the current full power round of a particalar Nations's army) and not , therefore, to be discussed here.

I have been told: that Chicom 7.62 mm ammo would cycle an M-2, but M-2 ammo cannot fit chamber of the PPSH.

I anyone wished to spin off into discussions of pieces-just make a note (or not) relating comments to this thread.

Just do what's interesting, correct (well I'll give you wiggle room-but others may not) and readble.

I do not mind putting links into a post, but it is not really acceptable to say: "John, you're wrong-see----"and post a link. so you will have to craft and make your points.

j
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

PPSH means Pistole Pulyaments(I think) Shpagin as the PPSh is a submachinegun and not a machine carbine. The round that it fires is the same 7.62 round that the Russian Tokarev pistol fires. A friend had one of these way back when and I have fired it using surplus ammo from GOd knows where. (We were young and stupid!) The thing is so damned heavy that it is easy to hold on target when compared to the Mk II STEN that another friend had. That thing jumped all over the place, especially because the slam-fire bolt was so heavy relative to the total weight of the weapon.

NOTE: Both of these were eventually disposed of when their ownership became known to local authorities who passed the word that they better not hear any more rumors about them. What a different world the early 1960s were from now! The STEN is in the Potomac River under Chain Bridge and I have no idea what happened tot he PPSh but I do know that it vanished from sight and its owner is now dead from other, unrelated, causes.
Trying to Walk in the Light, Hugh
1 John 1:5

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”