Open pattern

A place where this subject can be evaluated and discussed. No "bashing" allowed. "Tell us what YOU do"
f.Channell

Open pattern

Post by f.Channell »

Hello,

This is an open pattern I've been teaching lately. Person attacks with two round house kicks which you block open, then two hook punches, ridge hands or what have you, blocked open. Before they settle back in deliver two strikes to the chest then deliver a front kick which I do as a "push kick" to the stomach. This teaches the person to focus to take the kick and conditions the chest. also trains the counter striker to get their kicks up (many kick too low I find) and teaches how to use a kick to create distance. It also teaches multiple strike countering, which aren't always prevalent in K-drills.
Person can also kick to the thigh if having trouble reaching the abdomen.

This can be taught backing up or against the wall standing your ground.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com
JOHN THURSTON

Seems Effective

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

this seems like and effective drill.

Open Block are always the most difficut, ot so it seems.

My argument is only to make the student matriculate through simpler 2 wtep drills for condidence before going to this level, buy, perhaps it is only myself that views these you have put forward as more difficult.

I suppose also, as newer students should not be tested too hard in Sanchin, restraining the attacker in kumite might be a good idea in the short run.
New students see it as an embarrassment to be hit at all some times, and you lose them.

J
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Certainly you do the conditioning strikes to the level of the person's ability.
But after 2-3 classes they should be able to do this drill.
Higher ranks can strike harder. Although there's no reason a young tough kid can't take a shot.
There's a ton of variation and freedom in drills like this.

F.
Sans Peur Ne Obliviscaris
www.hinghamkarate.com

Return to “Fighting Drills”