Knee & Stomp Thrust/Attack the Attack

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

Knee & Stomp Thrust/Attack the Attack

Post by Art Rabesa »

PHOTOS #36A. #36B, #36C:
In keeping with the tight grappling closeness, lets take a good look at the knee thrust. It's real important here to use the attacker to aid your power. There are legs down there and they're right in your line of fire. Using the target (#36A), pull your arms down and in as the knee simply slides forward. When you point your toes downward, it allows the slight elevation of the knee that is needed.
On impact (#36B ),the hard torque of the back and trunk drives the knee deep into the side of the target's upper leg. The knee has a slight arc here to allow it to make contact to the outside of the thigh. This knee thrust can also go straight into the front of the target's upper leg by not torquing as much. I find the one in the photos to hit harder and have more stopping power.
Having the heavy bag on the floor will allow you to grab and torque the knee strike in (36C). You get to really feel the whole movement much better this way.

Photos #37, through #41B

This technique may appear very strange, but, the results are very rewarding. This is not a kick of any sort. Please don't even list it close to the kick category. I've been teaching this strange looking thing for a number of years now and people are still having trouble with it. There is a great deal of co ordination in this stomp/thrust movement. It will require practice. Like the crecent kick, this should look like a front kick, right up until impact. The striking section of the foot is the heel, as seen in the Photo #39. If the ball of the foot makes contact (#39A) there is no power, an injury could result in the achilles tendon, (Heel Cord). The co ordinated torque of the trunk and back muscles give the stomp/thrust its speed and hitting power.

Take a look at the correct way of delivering this strike. In Photo #40, it appears to be a front kick, but, during delivery it changes shape. The leg must remain in the normal front kicking line of fire, with the hip joint really turning under as the heel is snapped inward, as in #40A. This works well in stopping the forward attacking movement. It works even better when fired no higher than the hip.

Off-setting the attack:

The beauty of the explosive power that you can generate, once you understand the principles in this manual, is that you created quite a defense. In my first book, "KUMITE", I stated that I didn't understand what defense was. Let me go over my meaning once again. If you use the other's attack to set off your countering attack, whose attacking who? Who is on defense? See what I mean?

Once you have the explosive quick move, it off-sets attacks. Even if these attacks are not actually blocked by you, they will off-set or suffocated. If you are not getting these power movements I speak of, that attack might hurt you. I'm not speaking of any pre-fighting situation here. The reality of this is that the explosiveness and power of your move, or strike, will go straight through an attack.

When someone atticipates, as in #42. the shin thrust is a real good answer. If the leg is there, take it.

The rear turning elbow, executed by hanging onto the target as you turn into the blow. The same hard torque of the trunk is seen in #43A. Wheel the entire upper torso into this strike.

SHOCK WAVE:
The shock wave is that physiological occurrence that follows a hard blow to the body. Trauma is actually the correct term for this. When the blow remains in contact with the target, followed by the power base, funny things happen. The first thing that usually occurs is a moment of nothingness. That is the time between the impact and the recognition of the impact by the opponent, or attacker, or whoever is on the nasty end of the strike. Sometimes this nothingness lasts a very short time, so the continuation of strikes is important. Other times that nothingness remains that way.
This wave will stop all action. This wave can occur anywhere the blow strikes. Even blows to the arms and legs can create this shock wave through the body. That is why you must practice getting your strikes on the impact area and taking them through. This is practiced on the training pads and bag only.
Remember, put the strike on the target, letting the full power take the velocity of the impact deep into the hitting area.
If you decide to practice any of the material in this training manual please take it by the numbers. Start with the stationary punch. Go slow at first and don't strive for that power right away. Keep checking the photos and their description as you train. I've been at this for almost thirty years and I'm still looking for things that will enable me to hit faster and harder.
Please remember that when any of this material frustrates you. The power position must be understood and maintained first before any strikes occur. I'm sure I've mentioned that already but its important to remember.

I am going to take a little time off from the forum to determine if this is sinking in and looking for responses from you who are interested in continuing.

If there is any interest in my continuing in this or a different Uechi topic, I will post whatever is of interest. If you have any questions, don't be shy.
Good luck, see ya,
Art
Art Rabesa
gmattson
Site Admin

Art...

Post by gmattson »

I'm enjoying your lessons as much now as when I first read you manuscript.

You forgot to mention that you will be teaching at SummerFest on Saturday and will be looking for "volunteers" to take Bill's place. (He is now too old to take your kicks, elbows and knees) :)

See you soon on the field.

George
Bill Bauknecht

Too Old??

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Thanks for that complement George. You must remember, I was just too dumb to duck. :oops: Now?? I duck all the time, just yell "Fore!!"
Bill
robb buckland

Elbows and knees

Post by robb buckland »

Bill is not too old , just too :lol: wise George. My unborn children were orphaned many times over infighting with Art over the years. :lol:
FEARS Ltd
"Art meets Reality"
www.fearsltd.com
Bill Bauknecht

Older and Wiser

Post by Bill Bauknecht »

Right on Robb. My problem was it took my brain too long to react to "DUCK", about a second too late. It took me a longer than usual time to win that "Wise" title. 8O

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”