Uechi-Ryu organizations in California from the past???

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

chef

Uechi-Ryu organizations in California from the past???

Post by chef »

Can anyone out there tell me what Uechi-Ryu organizations were in existence in California from about 1966-1970?

For that matter, what schools were going in Uechi as well.

I am trying to trace my Uechi lineage, via my first instructor. He is a very private individual, who originally studied Uechi in California, and I can no longer get in touch with him.

Thanks,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
chef

Post by chef »

Thanks, Rob, for the email. I had actually put a PS for you to write but then deleted to wait and see what feedback I got. I thought my instructor might be before your time, actually.

If you have skype, Rob, get on and let's talk.

Later,
Vicki

PS Thanks bunches again.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

And the answer is...

- Bill
chef

Post by chef »

No feedback...hmmmm?

I am pretty sure my first instructor was taught Uechi-Ryu somewhere in California around 1967 through 1970 but it appears there was no organized Uechi that far back...maybe it was underground, ya think?

Still looking,
Vicki

PS Bill, you should get on skype sometime and you can catch up to at least three of your students I know. At least that way we could actually get your feedback on some class questions. I am sure you won't be harrangued.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Was the name Asian? That would narrow it down pretty quickly.

Just for the record... I'd like to know from George and/or Steve Goss as to when Ahti began teaching on the left coast.

Funny guy, that Ahti Kaend. I always knew him from afar, seeing him show up at camps wearing some bling. It was a California thing I guess. Ahti was one of the early instructors at Mattson Academy, having taught the likes of Bob Campbell at one time. I never knew he was such a good instructor until I started seeing some of his California students and grand students (through Steve Goss) show up at tournaments years later. They were routinely top notch.

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Bill Glasheen wrote: Just for the record... I'd like to know from George and/or Steve Goss as to when Ahti began teaching on the left coast.
Well according to a letter Steve Goss wrote to George in 1997, Ahti Kaend had been teaching for over 20 years by then, I assume all in California:
http://www.uechi-ryu.com/dec97.htm
I have been a student of Sensei Kaend's for over 20 years
The only other Uechi-related dojo I know of in California is the one founded by Alan Dollar, but that was not until the early 1980s.
Glenn
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Not sure if this one helps pin down when Sensei Kaend moved to California:
http://www.uechi-ryu.com/ausie.htm
Uechi Ryu karate was first brought to Australia by Ahti Kaend, an Estonian who lived in Sydney in the late 1960s and began teaching classes. Ahti Kaend is now kyoshi, 7th dan, and lives in California, USA.
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I thought it might possibly be "Tosh." But he would have been a bit young back then.

Toshiyuki Itokazu
Born: 7-23-47
Died: 4-15-85

I don't know when he came to the States, and where he hung his dojo shingle. I just know that he settled in Florida before he passed away at a very early age. Tosh was Ric Martin's instructor. A few of his students remain as instructors in Florida.

The fellow in question does have the markings of a Tosh student.

- Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

First Uechi teacher/s in California

Post by gmattson »

The first Uechi teacher to open a dojo in California (Cardiff by the Sea) was Bob Moorman. He only taught for a couple of years and the dojo was taken over by Bob's students. Rod Mindlin was Bob's senior student and did a good job holding the dojo together and actually building a pretty large enrollment.

The dojo is no longer in existence, but I'm sure some of Moorman/Mindlin students still practice and perhaps teach.

Not sure of the dates. . . perhaps there are readers who remember these events and will update this post
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

We need to get Mike DeDonato on this thread. He studied Uechi with Rod Mindlin in the San Diego area before switching over to Ahti Kaend.

Mike's a great guy, Vicki. He now works out with Steve Goss.

- Bill
Joe Graziano

Post by Joe Graziano »

Dave Sargent, who has had a dojo in San Jose for many years states on his website that his dojo there was founded in 1973 by Carl Chrappa, a student of Van Canna. I don't know whether this predates Bob Moorman's dojo in San Diego.
chef

Post by chef »

For some reason, this name, Itokazu, seems familiar. I was studying with my first sensei, starting in spring of 1981 and I remember him telling me before I moved away in the summer of 1987, that his sensei died and he did not wish to advance his rank any longer but he still always taught...so I seem to remember his sensei having an asian name and the fact he had passed away (I thought unexpectedly or sooner than he should have, for some reason).

One of the things that he did at demos was to catch arrows in mid air that had been shot...and he could catch them. Crazy demo when he was very young.

Just some thoughts,
Vicki
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

There have been several Itokazu in Uechi Ryu, Seiki and Seiko for example. I am not familiar with any of them teaching in the U.S. though. Alan Dollar's book might be helpful, I'll check it when I get home.

One influentual Uechi Ryu teacher who died in the 1980s was Seiyu Shinjo, but he taught in Okinawa. However some of his students open dojo in the western part of the country, Alan Dollar in California and John Ray in Texas as far as who I can recall offhand. The ones I know of didn't open dojo until at least the 1980s however.

Vicki, can you tell us your first instructor's name?
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Here's some Mythbusters and Some NOVA for your edification.

- Bill

Catching a Speeding Arrow in Flight

Cutting an arrow with katana
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Glenn wrote:
There have been several Itokazu in Uechi Ryu, Seiki and Seiko for example. I am not familiar with any of them teaching in the U.S. though.
Believe it. Toshiyuki Itokazu (a.k.a. "Tosh") was Ric Martin's instructor.

No relation to Seiki Itokazu who choreographed Seichin kata and was prominent in Okinawan karate do.

Seiko Itokazu I believe is the man you are familiar with. He headed the Pan Gai Noon Ryu group (a.k.a. Han Ko Nan Ryu in Japan).

- Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”