A Close Call

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

benzocaine

A Close Call

Post by benzocaine »

My family and I spent last week in Sunny Orlando Florida. 90% of it was spent either in a Walt Disney World Resort, in a WDW park, or being shuttled (on Disney Property) between the two.

The last Day we were there, my wife and I split up and went off property. My Oldest boy, Father in Law, and I went to Kissamee for a fan boat ride. My wife (Melinda), my 13 month old, and Mother in law went to a nice retail outlet center to seek out there own fun :roll:

My wife's adventure turned out to be a little more than she bargained for. From what I understand this is how things went.

Melinda went to use the restroom at this Outlet center which required her to go between buildings. In front of the rest room doors there were payphones. A small group of people with British sounding accents were using a phone, and a young black man was using the other. She didn't give any of this a second thought and went in to use the faculities.

Before she left another lady had entered to use it herself. Melinda then left, and passed the tourists who were now walking out into the shopping/ parking area, and the black man who was still on the phone.

A few moments later my wife heard (what she described) the most chilling scream she had ever heard. The woman who had entered the bathroom after her was outside screaming that she had just been robbed.

It turns out that Black Man who had been on the phone was waiting for a victim to enter the bathroom alone. When one did he held a gun to her head, kicked her, and took her purse.

The policeman takuing my wife's statement told her that SHE was probably the intended target, and had the tourists not been there, it would have been her.
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I'm happy your wife is safe.

Is there anything you or she learned from this?

Bill
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Thanks Bill.

I think this has been a valuable lesson for my wife. It's a little bit of a wakeup call to the dangers that lurk about in this world. She's not a completely Naive person, but I don't think she ever would have imagined that while shopping at an outlet mall (her happy place) she could get assaulted and robbed. I've been informed that from now on I or someone elso will be outside waiting if she goes into a public rest room.

This close encounter shook her up some. On our way back to Virginia, we stopped at a hotel in South Carolina. She had a little scare while getting a soda at the vending/ ice room. It being at the end of the hallway, and sort of secluded,had her nervous and it seemed to take for ever for the machine to deliver the soda. When she left the room, some poor black man was walking up the hall as she went out and she let out a little scream. I was told that he was apolagized to propmtly, and I laughed and told her she probably scared the #### out of that guy.

So yeah, she has a different perspective on things now.
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Ben,
I've hit WDW more than a couple of times over the years and what you've described doesn't surprise me. Plenty of tourists in their happy place make for plenty of targets. I stay on Disney property for several reasons, one of which is a bit more security, but there are holes, such as Downtown Disney which had problems with gangs, drugs and drunks, and the bus service which has never checked if someone is a guest or outsider. One mistake that tourists often make in Orlando is thinking that it's one big safe resort and not a real city that brings in out of towners by the truck load.

You are your family's bodyguard.
I was dreaming of the past...
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

Truth is stay by British Holidaymakers.we are so fckin hard that no muggers would want to deal with us....WORD!! :lol:
chef

Post by chef »

Hey, Ben, so good your wife is okay....thank God.

How are you doing? I have missed seeing you on the forum.

Come to Richmond and do some karate with us some time soon. I know Bill would love to see you as well.

Regards,
Vicki
"Cry in the dojo, laugh in the battlefield"
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

Thanks Vicki,

I appreciate that! You Richmond folk are a good bunch of people.

Mike,

Down town Disney is getting a facelift. It is famous for multiple clubs, and from what I've heard, Mardis Gras like atmosphere. Well that's no more. When we went, every single club was closed.. for renovations. (Funny... every single club?)

Aparently they want to get back to a more family oriented atmosphere.
MikeK

Post by MikeK »

Yup, the face lift is a big shift away from attracting outside party goers and back to being for families.
I was dreaming of the past...

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”