Things I experienced at Winterfest 2011

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Re: Speaking of Mochime..

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Oh now that is nice!

Pardon me for being ignorant, but... I've heard of this form but never seen it. Do tell!

- Bill
Stevie B

Sort of like Ryoko..

Post by Stevie B »

I honestly just received the video today.. I had never seen him do this particular Kata, But always admired him as a Great Sensei.. Apparently this Kata has been around for quite awhile just as something he taught his senior students as Ryoko is for the Okikukiai.. I just noticed why he throws his Mawashi uke's a little larger than most, and enjoyed the flow from one block to another. All the while sustaining the integrity of his first move and then transitioning (Kime=Focus) The Atefua is a Hogan term.. Means the twist in the arm while blocking and punching.. For Punching it basically can be best described as the bullet type spin on the knuckle (or knuckles) penetrating the outer flesh.. But for a block, it means how you twist your arm at impact to basically cut into the opponents... At the same time, diffusing the impact on one particular spot on your appendage..Almost how you would put a little "english" on a ball during a heated ping pong match..That is Atefua...
Bill Glasheen

Re: Sort of like Ryoko..

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Stevie B wrote:
That is Atefua.
It is rotational force (torque) or spin. It is a degree of freedom of motion (and energy) very familiar to this engineer. A rose by any other name...

One of my (non-Uechi) instructors from the past who served in special forces used to talk a great deal about this. He was a big fan of the Uechi style, and had Uechi Kanei's book.

- Bill
Stevie B

Exactly..

Post by Stevie B »

I think you practiced Goju Ryu also? It is taught heavily in that system as well.. Also taught to SF guys as part of their hand to hand combat training, but not as extensively.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”