Imagine the force of impact

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Van Canna

Another broken neck.

Post by Van Canna »

Van
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Wow...

The "victim" tempted fate and the officer "technically" operated within legal limits. But...

"According to OPD policy, the officer was within his rights to use the takedown, but the same policy also says the officer must consider the person's age, sex and size."

Somewhere here an officer forgot to use HIS head. It's just so sad. This is an 84-year-old man. It's not like he is on his mental game every day, and it's not like a good man can't take a hit or two from him. I've taken a few shots myself from my dieing father. Nurses put up with this every day from their delirious patients, and do it without a lot of complaining.

Same principle holds here, by the way. The age (and different mass distributions) makes the outcome much more probable, which explains how it could happen with so much less force involved.

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Leo wrote: Body goes neck does not.
Bill wrote: Re-word your first statement, Leo, and you have the principle.
Well the inverse of what Leo said is how Chuck Norris always did it :D
You would have to have the neck in just the right position. Gives a whole new interpretation to our horizontal elbow "strike".
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

The neck isn't the target, Glenn; it's the end game.

Did Pacioretty's neck contact the post?

Did the 84-year-old man (in Van's example) fall on his neck?

Did Christopher Reeves fall on his neck?

Does the knot on a hangman's noose hit the neck?

- Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Rory if you are out there... What does it take to make "the average Uechi guy" experience the necessary paradigm shift? I know for a fact (from working out with you and reading your books) that you see "it" it what we do.

- Bill
Last edited by Bill Glasheen on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Those actions were largely on the head, but the goal is to create force that causes separation of two vertebrae. Sudden lift of the head while the body stays put would be the standard maritial principle, although the reverse way that Leo stated would not be out of the realm of possibility, but one way of accomplishing this is creating a 'noose' around the neck with the arm which is what I was getting at in my last post.

A "Neck Snapping Movie Montage" for your viewing pleasure. You'll see some scenes where the arm is used in a position very much like how the horizontal elbow strike ends, I think there can be some validity to that approach. But I do question the idea used in many of these clips that a neck could be broken simply by twisting the head to the side.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NSG_zlyOZU
Glenn
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Don't expect to have any "secrets" revealed in a movie, Glenn, although... there are a couple in there which are legit (but with the details hidden).

Have you attended one of Rory's seminars?

And for the record... I personally wouldn't be depending on upper-body power transmitted to my hands to do the deed. So much in those clips is silly (and probably for a good reason).

- Bill
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Bill Glasheen wrote: Don't expect to have any "secrets" revealed in a movie
Darn, there goes the basis for my training. But seriously, you need to lighten up more!
Rory if you are out there... What does it take to make "the average Uechi guy" experience the necessary paradigm shift? I know for a fact (from working out with you and reading your books) that you see "it" it what we do.
I guess I am not sure what you are looking for Bill. There are only a couple ways to break a neck and they have been mentioned. There are possibilities in our techniques for accomplishing it but no legal way to test them, and like you said there is concern about getting too instructional about this on a public forum. So illustrious leader, where exactly are we going with this?
Glenn

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”