Uechi Guza

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Steve Hatfield

Uechi Guza

Post by Steve Hatfield »

Does anyone know how I might find some of the liniment known as Uechi Guza or Uechi Kusiri? I'm looking for the real thing. Feel free to pm me if you don't want the information posted here. Thanks much

Steve
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hey, Steve!

I am a scientist, so I have my biases. Basically I'm skeptical of anyone "reproducing" any liniment without proper training. Buyer beware!

That said, my recommendation is to check with Rik Lostritto. In addition to being an advanced Uechika (now with the Kenyukai), he's a PharmD and professional pharmacist. Rik got the ingredients from Masters Gushi and Shinjo. He researched each and every ingredient for safety and the presence of possible active ingredients. After establishing its safety, he made several batches and ... um ... "field tested" them (on himself) for safety. He established the threshold level of toxicity.

As Rik told me, this liniment is traditionally used topically on surface bruises, and orally for deep injuries.

I WILL NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TAKE THIS WITHOUT FIRST CONSULTING YOUR PHYSICIAN. OK???

All that stated... the main active ingredient is likely resveratrol. If you hang around vitamin shops and health food stores, you'll see that this is all the rage these days. It also has several compounds that can best be described as adaptogens. NIH is studying several of these compounds right now.

I believe my Uechi account has gone on the fritz recently. (Comcast tells me someone hijacked it, and it was shut down.) So I'll PM you and give you both my own and Rik's e-mail address. Rik tells me he has a gallon of the stuff in his refrigerator right now, so he's good with the supply. Getting it to Florida may be an issue, but... I'll let you two figure that out.

- Bill
Stevie B

Good stuff...

Post by Stevie B »

Same as what we had at Kadena... Same same... Only goes so far... Tell Rick to quit beating you up... LOL :lol:
Steve Hatfield

Post by Steve Hatfield »

Thanks Bill I responded to your email and emailed Rik as well. Thanks much.

Steve......LOL funny you should say that. I can recall many a time that Sensei would "demonstrate" a technique on me LOL. Most of my problems come from the makiwara though. I just want to have something to use on occasion and have used different "dit da jows" in the past with some success. And of course I love everything "Uechi". A few years back I wrote Alan Dollar and asked him about this type of stuff and he said he'd lost touch with folks who made it in Okinawa but was familier with it.
Stevie B

Really????

Post by Stevie B »

Well..... Alan speaks for himself... No need to mince words there... Anyways, I'm glad that Bill led you to Rick... Personally speaking I have seen good effects... Bill can't go too far out on that I'm sure....Any ways.. Same plant.. Same stuff... Good stuff! If Rick questions why.. Tell him he can call me....
Stevie B

PS...

Post by Stevie B »

I'm the one that hijacked your acount Bill... LMAO... Had to be done!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: JK...
Bill Glasheen

Re: PS...

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Stevie B wrote:
I'm the one that hijacked your acount Bill... LMAO... Had to be done!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: JK...
Oh that's a relief. I thought it was one of my ex's. :roll:

- Bill
Steve Hatfield

Post by Steve Hatfield »

Hey Bill, found this on the 'bay earlier today.

Uechi Guza Karate Training Herbal Medicine Dit Da Jow

Popped up out of the blue. Makes one wonder if it's real. I'm takin' a chance for 20 bucks just to see. Here's what the fella said about the stuff when I asked him to tell me more about it.

"Hello,

Since you are a Uechi Ryu man, you must know how rare and difficult to find Guza is. For this same reason I am cannot give out the ingredients or much more info. than what is in the description. The formula came to me through an elder practictioner of Uechi Ryu whom I met through my chinese herbology Dit Da teacher. I was given permission to make it but not to give out the formula.

Not many have tried this yet, but those that have gave me excellent feedback. Let me know how it works for you."

NOTE: Format edited by "the moderator" ;)
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hey, Steve!

By now you've gotten "the scoop" from Rik. So you know this "secret" formula won't be "secret" for long. And you know Rik's professional reputation, and his Okinawan sources.

TO ALL:

Rik is a qualified academic, and has done his homework. Steve and I have had the details shared with us. But we agreed to hold it to our chest until Rik could get all his hard work published. He did all the heavy lifting and I've been involved in quite a bit of proprietary software and peer-reviewed publication work, so... I support him 100%. Be patient and we'll all soon be able to benefit.

Steve

Go ahead and get some, and then write me. If what Rik says is true... You know what I mean. Anyhow a few simple items should be fairly easy to confirm.

For what it's worth... I find it interesting that this guy used all the "buzz words" for his formula. I was getting "dit da jow" from Chinatown in New York 33 years ago. If Uechi Guza is dit da jow by another name, well... Basically anyone can take any witch's brew of herbs, do an organic extraction (by sophisticated or crude methods), and then bottle the liquid. Going from "reputable location" to "reputable location", I found absolutely no (zero, zilch, nada) consistency in the product. For dit da jow, there is no gold standard. It's just the herbal extraction du jour - for lack of a better description.

A WORD OF WARNING

Would you go to the drug store and buy a medication where the list of ingredients wasn't on the back? Would you get a prescription of an unknown drug (except in a double-blinded clinical trial)? I wouldn't. So why should we trust someone who says "It's the real thing and I got the secret from a secret master" when we don't know the guy, don't know the master, and don't know what's in the bottle?

It harks of the days when someone would offer ... uh ... my "friend" some pot and tell you "This is some really good sheet, mahn, and it's from a reputable source." Uh huh! :roll:

By all means don't drink the stuff. And keep some in reserve in case you suffer an allergic reaction and need to seek medical attention. Said events happen even in the most tested pharmaceuticals, so... don't expect the risk to be any less with a "secret" substance.

I'm just being appropriately cautious. It would be great if you found something that worked, but... be careful.

- Bill
Last edited by Bill Glasheen on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Hatfield

Post by Steve Hatfield »

Bill I hope I didn't do anything wrong. I wouldn't think of revealing anything that was shared with me. If I did then please delete this thread. I will let you both know what I find.

Steve
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Steve Hatfield wrote:
Bill I hope I didn't do anything wrong. I wouldn't think of revealing anything that was shared with me. If I did then please delete this thread. I will let you both know what I find.

Steve
No, Steve! You're cool. You've been completely above-board and professional.

I actually am fascinated that someone's selling this on E-bay. They even have a shoken on the label. Who'd a thunk it?

- Bill
Steve Hatfield

Post by Steve Hatfield »

What would be interesting is to get a chemical analysis done on it. But that's jumping ahead a good bit. If he's a member of this site he may be reading :-) this. I'll adopt a wait and see. I did write Rik and sent him the link as well. Nite Bill
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I'm a member of Alpha Chi Sigma chemical professional fraternity, so... We'll see. I have some fellow brothers in the Alpha Kappa chapter (at UVa) who maybe could run a few simple tests. Nothing thorough mind you, but... It would be enough to know if it's in the neighborhood of similar formulations.

- Bill
Stevie B

Steve san..

Post by Stevie B »

Please send me their address in CA asap via FB... :lol:
Best just to stay with Rik.. I know the man and tehe product... Both above board.. But I do have a couple of old Green Beret friends interested in what you found...

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”