A little Canadian point fighting ;)

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

CANDANeh

A little Canadian point fighting ;)

Post by CANDANeh »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K704ix4ZTI
Some Uechi guys look ok in suits (Victor). Looks like the Canadian Championship will be a good one again this year.

The NS team members are selected from karate styles that are members of the NS Karate association. A wonderful way to represent your dojo/style and build a positive relationships with others. A lot of sweat just to have an opportunity to make this team.
Léo
Stevie B

Re: A little Canadian point fighting ;)

Post by Stevie B »

Looking good Leo!!! Nice technique!!! :D

SILENCE!!! I Kill You!!!!
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

Stevie B wrote:Looking good Leo!!! Nice technique!!! :D
I wish I had the "nice technique". I`m not involved in this undertaking but my sensei Victor is very committed to this organization. He was the oldest member of the team a couple years ago and in doing so gained true respect from the young athletes (will not give his age but double that of those in video ).This year he is travelling with the team as a national referee. Good karate is also giving to the community esp. youth. Thought it was a very positive video to share :)
Léo
Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Fun stuff, Leo!

We all enjoy seeing the kids with high kicks and great leg dexterity. I of course also like seeing rules which allow the dump. Some really nice examples in that video.

- Bill
CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

Bill Glasheen wrote:Fun stuff, Leo!

We all enjoy seeing the kids with high kicks and great leg dexterity. I of course also like seeing rules which allow the dump. Some really nice examples in that video.

- Bill
The NS team has ability to capitalize on the "dump" quite well and I would like to think it`s because of the "Uechi" influence.
But who am I to say as my only involvement was with the "Urine committee" a while back (yes collecting pee for drug testing). Laugh, but nothing wrong with starting at the bottom :lol: Anyhow, cooperation between styles to allow traditional arts to flourish is live and well thanks to dedicated individuals in the MA community. I am beginning to believe that giving is more important than holding on to what we think we have.
Léo
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

Leo.. I meant nice tecnuique for what they are trying to do..(Honestly, I thought the thing was filmed in Slow Motion, but after a second look realized it wasn't) :lol: :lol: :lol: But at least they are moving pretty much at one consistant head level and with smoothness.. They need to walk before they can run.. As for the Uechi guys in suits.. Stevie says "Whoopdie effin Doo!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: (toned down for Billl's Audience) :lol: :lol:

Bill Glasheen

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Hello, Stevie!
Stevie B wrote: (Honestly, I thought the thing was filmed in Slow Motion, but after a second look realized it wasn't) :lol: :lol: :lol: But at least they are moving pretty much at one consistant head level and with smoothness.
Point fighting is a game, and the goal is to win the game. It has rules, and humans call the points.

Part of the art of point fighting is to make what you do so obvious that the average judge on the sidelines can see it. Simple with stage drama works.

The subtle part of the art is keeping your opponent under control so you don't get hurt while trying to make your "point" obvious. I recall conversations with Takamiyagi (circa 1984) where he talked about the importance of dynamic range in kata. (Dynamic range would be my engineering terminology, by the way.) The old American way of doing a kata as fast as you can shows a shocking misunderstanding of what it is someone's doing in a form. Those of us who have made the trek over to the grappling side of the world understand how deliberate, controlled movement is part of that venue. This you see dramatically in the dumps, where the practitioner took his time with the take-down after taking over the opponent's center. It's more subtle in other aspects of the engagements where positioning and neutralizing are part of the recipe.

- Bill
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

Hey Bill... Yes, I understand what you are saying.. I'm just used to seeing it in real time motion.. :lol: I relate with Leo's Hitormi Zumo.. I sometimes ask myself what the point is.. But then I remember Toyama Sensei coming in at 81 years old to my San Dan test and he going out and doing a strong demo at 82... And I remember to pay the dues forward..With that said, I gave my honest opinion of what I saw...But like I said, it's where they are as children.. I really wouldn't want them understanding what You or I understand at 45 + years old.. :wink:

Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

And again.. They are pretty good at what they are doing now,, Especially on the fluidity side.. I've met plenty of "Sempai" in the USA that don't understand even that level.. My point is that they ostly show very good technique (although very slow) . They could probably show the same technique at a more realistic pace if they were trained to do so.. I'm sure the Coach is a great man, I'm sure he has many credintials, probably even has the Mayor's and Govenor's trophies on his wall.. Hell, he may even wear a nice suit.. As I said.. Whoopdie effin Doo!!! His student is still about to break her pinky knuckle because the guy was too busy picking out suits to teach the girl the basics.. Nuff said..

CANDANeh

Post by CANDANeh »

"Vestiphobia" is getting the best of you Steve :wink:
Léo
Stevie B

Post by Stevie B »

Hahahaha!!! :lol: :lol: Me thinks you right Leo!! This is why I need to pull myself back to Florida so I can run without the confinment of which year round!!! :lol: 8) ! LMAO!!

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”