Goodbye My Friend

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

Goodbye My Friend

Post by Art Rabesa »

I lost my very good friend Bill Bauknecht last night. He has fought cancer for twenty years and stayed on his feet. He finally lost that fight yesterday. Started training with me back in 1974 at my Falmouth dojo. A very good student of Uechi Ryu, but a better friend. Managed to keep on teaching and helping me with the dojo. I am going to miss him . He is well known in the Uechi Ryu New England area. We will all miss Bill. He pushed me into getting started with the forum . I spoke and he typed. Very loyal to the whole Uechi Ryu way. Uechi Ryu has lost a very loyal and dedicated son. As tough as they come. Don't talk to me about tough, unless you're including Bill. I'm proud of all my students ,{ because I'm kind of demanding ) , but Bill is at the top. SO - GOODBYE MY FRIEND. SEE YA ------- Art
Art Rabesa
Harvey

Re: Goodbye My Friend

Post by Harvey »

I posted a similar thought on Van's forum. But I forgot to ask if there was a wake. I have been watching the Cape Cod Times and the Boston Globe, but I have not seen anything on Bill. Also, I think it would be great if we could do a celebration of Bill's life, at summer camp. People he touched might like the chance to remember him. You, of course, knew him in his prime, but his last fight was his greatest.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Harvey, I think that would be very fitting for Bill. As it is...the photo we see posted on the forum, will be framed and hung on the wall of the west Bridgewater dojo...I think every Uechi dojo ought to do the same...if ever there was a warrior.....

What that man went through... :cry:
Van
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Thank you Van. I believe Bill's family would like that very much -- and so would I.
Art Rabesa
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

Van, when I read your suggestion about hanging Bill's picture, it occurred to me that our liking him was not even the point. His was, perhaps, the best example of bushido, in the Uechi world we know. Samurai were taught to give themselves up to death when they went into battle, because one cannot fight successfully with one eye on escape. Bill exemplified the way of the warrior. Given six months to live, many people shut down and wait out their sentences, not wanting to disappoint their physicians. Bill said, "okay, I am going to die in six months. Until then, I am going to live." And in between chemo and marrow transplants, he played golf and went fishing and encouraged others with multiple myeloma to stop thinking about dying and start attacking life. He put death aside and built a new house. He stretched six months to 18 years. And even when he was knocked down with marrow transplants, he held himself together by visualizing kata. And he kept getting up. Bill was not on his death bed, because he refused to lie down.

So, right on, Van. Dojos should hang Bill's picture as a reminder that "the way" is much more than calisthenics.

I believe it was Pascal, who said, "Please excuse this long letter. I did not have time to write a short one." I apologize for running on, but I had to sneak away from a house guest.
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Thank you Harvey, and you are right on target with your comments.

It was his indomitable spirit that got him that far...his visual of Sanchin performance while in hellish pain, was indeed his ticket to an extended life.

And while undergoing his treatments, once he promised me that he would someday come up to the Bridgewater dojo and perform a Sanchin for me.

Indeed he did to my amazement, even in his performance of powerful thrusts in his weakened state...simply amazing... he said he had holes in his bones like 'swiss cheese' ....

And we also must remember that he fought full contact matches well into his late thirties against opponents half his age.

A man of his word, unconditional friendship, generous and kind.
Van

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”