Impact Zone

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

Impact Zone

Post by Art Rabesa »

There is an impact zone in many sports. Baseball, football, golf, soccer, and others, have an impact zone. Those who coach these sports talk about it all the time. The impact zone in striking is very much the same. To be able to strike very hard , with little effort, takes a very good understanding of this impact zone. A complete coordinated movement is needed. You've heard me talk about moving in one piece. All the large muscles firing at once. Everything hitting at the same time. It may look easy --but it isn't.The best way to understand what I'm talking about, is to see it. I would like to invite you to my web site, to get a close look at the "impact zone". Go to -----www.artrabesauechikarate.com ----Click on striking --then on the selective video "power hitting heavy bag close quarter".This will bring out the impact zone at point of contact. Watch everything ending all at once. The explosion actually happens as the strike hits. Up to that point, everything is pretty relaxed. Will take a lot of practice. What doesn't? -----Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Impact Zone

Post by Art Rabesa »

I thought I would follow up on the above post. How is everyone doing here? Are you understanding what I'm talking about? I'm sure you do. You can not have your muscles focused all the time. RELAX those large muscles until needed. Simply remember one key factor. Muscles only focus at point of contact. All other times stay relaxed. Your reaction time will be MUCH faster from a relaxed base. Getting to the target is going to be much quicker this way. So just practice focusing right on contact. The next time you sneeze, feel whats happening to those muscles. That is what happens at point of impact. Sound silly? Well, it is a good way to feel exactly what I'm trying to get across here. That explosive contraction of your muscles as you sneeze, is what you want when you strike. Thing about it. Get back to me. Let me know how you are making out with this. If you want to be able to "move fast and hit hard", you have to get this concept down. -------Happy Trails -------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Impact Zone - Touch & Go

Post by Art Rabesa »

OK - so the above post was a month ago. I wanted to wait at least that long before I did a follow up. My main goal in everything I post, is to aid in the understanding of Uechi Ryu and body mechanics. It's tough to do in print. Touch & Go is a drill I do constantly. It will aid your awareness of the "impact Zone'. -----Get close to the heavy bag. Place your finger tips lightly on the bag from the 10 & 2 position. Slowly move your hands both clockwise and counter clockwise, maintaining light contact with the bag. Stop every few inches as you move. A sharp twist of your hand, let the power base of sanchin work now, fire the hand and let it spend time on target. Never take your finger tips from the bag. You are striking with both hands as you steer right and left. NOW -- begin working your elbows from this same steering motion. NOW --- start working the radial and ulna strikes as you steer. Keep that strong foundation all the way around the points of the steering motion. Everything is being done with you directly in front of the bag. Staying as close as your finger tips allow you. A drill you can do constantly. Only takes a few minutes to hit all around the clock with a variety of strikes. Tough at first, but will get easier to understand as time goes by. Touch & Go drill will enable you to use your hands as eyes. What ever you touch can be struck. Will make you very dangerous in the kitchen. You do know that "If your in the kitchen, you might as well do some cooking". As always, check the web site for help. This is in there. -------Happy Trails ---Art
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Great points Art.
Van
Art Rabesa

Re: Impact Zone - Don't Admire Your Work

Post by Art Rabesa »

When you have the impact zone down, your next step is to continue that zone into a rapid fire series of strikes. When you learn to strike from the touch and go position, you will be able to fire a barrage of strikes rapidly. These strikes will stay close to, or at the same location on the target. This is what I mean by " don't admire your work". You do not strike and see if it did any damage. These very short and powerful strikes that you now can do, will follow that initial strike. Practice these rapid fire strikes on the heavy bag. Do them with the bag hanging and on the floor. You want to be able to strike this way on your feet or on the ground. REMEMBER --- You must include your elbows, ulna, radius, open hand, and closed hand, in rapid fire striking. Don't admire your work after one shot. You are just getting started. It is quite a cardio drill when you fire 10 or more strikes in a burst. I need a nap when I'm done. Imagine being hit this many times that quickly. Something for that bad guy to think about. -----Happy Trails ------- Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: Impact Zone - Next Gear

Post by Art Rabesa »

Once impact is made, there actually is an added element to that strike. The phrase, "time on target" takes top honors here. You do not want the strike to slide or pull off the target. You want that strike to sink into the striking area. That is what "time on target" means. However, you simply do not hold it there as you make contact. At the exact time impact is made that next gear shifts in. It is not two movements,but a continuous flow of energy that carries the strike deep into the target. Once again, it's the power base of sanchin that sticks that strike and keeps it digging in deeper. It's not a different movement which enables you to maintain your foundation all the way through the strike. As always, that power base must be established first. Taking any strike from that power base, will allow you to maintain the strike deep into the target. This is the difference between just stinging that bad guy or putting him away. Lots of heavy bag work needed in practicing this "next gear". On head shots, this is what you want to end it quick. This goes for the leg thrusts as well.Check out the body mechanics on my web site for this next gear. Watch closely. -----Happy Trails ---Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

This will help with the above post. ---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOyZedk8-ww
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”