EIGHT FORM

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

EIGHT FORM

Post by Art Rabesa »

Here is something that will really add fun to the end of the workout. I threw this at the class every now and then. It's a little drill from back in the day called the 8 form. Some of the Uechi Ryu teachers from yesteryear might remember it. There are eight movements, Begin into a right sanchin - return, To a left sanchin - return. Step back into a right sanchin - return. Back into a left stance - return. Angle to one o'clock into a right sanchin - return. Over to eleven o'clock into a left sanchin- return. Back step to five o'clock into a left sanchin - return. Back step to seven o"clock into a right sanchin- return. NOW comes the fun. Have each member of the class call out a command that all must do. Example ----"Block on front foot- front kick on rear foot". All will do the 8 form , doing this command. "Block on rear foot - kick on front foot". Continue with a different command from each student. Let the lowest ranks give their commands first.The higher ranks will have to think harder as a new series of movements is given . I placed this at the end of the class, just before we bowed out. It happens to be a very good drill and cardio workout, along with lots of fun. It's kind of like a Uechi-Ryu simon say's. For all you teachers out there --- try this. I'm pretty sure you'll like it. -----Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: EIGHT FORM

Post by Art Rabesa »

Follow up on the 8 form. The real nice thing on the 8 form is that it reaches all ranks and ability levels. I used it on my senior students for fighting techniques. Once we really got rolling with it, you wouldn't believe what some of the commands were. Block on rear foot - hook punch on front foot- round house kick rear foot. That was the easy one. Some of my better fighters came up with some commands that were nuts. Kind of like -- Oh ya! see if you can do this one. It was a good laugh seeing how many could get through all eight movements without screwing it up. The lower ranks loved to watch this action. They just shook their heads and smiled, and wondered when they would be able to do it this way. You don't see many of the old drills anymore in dojo's. Many old ways are still the best ways. ---Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Still very much alive and well in my dojo and. . . I still use it in my seminars to familiarize participants with various angle movements and strategies found in Uechi-ryu.

BTW Art. . . I like your forum and continually marvel at the fighting wisdom found in your earlier posts and recent updates.

Keep up the good work.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

THANK YOU SENSEI. I APPRECIATE IT. SEE YOU IN 19 DAYS. -----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: EIGHT FORM - TWO PERSON

Post by Art Rabesa »

Here's a little something I did with the 8 form that was quite successful. It is a prearranged two person drill using the 8 form pattern. Set up like any other two person drill. Have the students call out the sequence of strikes. The attacker will deliver the punch or kick and the defender will perform their 8 form movements. Example ----"Punch middle area. Block on front foot . Head punch counter from rear foot". That's a simple one. You can have the attacker do whatever the class wants, followed by the defender doing what the class wants. This way of doing the 8 form turns a very basic pattern of stepping, into a very good prearranged kumite. It can evolve into a very advanced drill if you want it to. Here is another example of a simple Uechi Ryu drill that you can turn into whatever you want, depending on the level of your students. Once again please --- analyze things and mold them into what you want to work on. Uechi Ryu is very deep in it's meaning. There are hidden benefits in the movements, you just have to pull them out of there. Be a teacher with vision. Don't let yourself, or your teaching become stale. Your students will benefit greatly from this way of teaching. ------Happy Trails -----Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”