BLOCKING - INFIGHTING INTRO

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

BLOCKING - INFIGHTING INTRO

Post by Art Rabesa »

Here is a section of a fighting seminar I did at Tracy Rose's Northborough Mass. Uechi School. It contains some closing blocks that will get you into the infighting distance. The main point I am stressing, is the position of the hands upon striking. I wanted them to realize how slight the hands move to be able to drive that punch. Tracy has some good students, and they caught on quickly. Have a look. -----Happy Trails----Art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv-6aGLNcuM
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: BLOCKING - INFIGHTING INTRO

Post by Art Rabesa »

All my years have made me very much tuned in to space awareness. The space between the fighters. Using that space to your advantage. To close that space quickly with a very fast coordinated strike. That no mans land between the fighters is the key. What do you do with it? How are you going to use it? Can he hit me from here? Can I hit him with that technique I've been working on? We go on and on about kicking and punching, but that space is what should be discussed. OK----you have a good strong punch or kick that can be delivered to the target. As long as that target is at the proper distance. Too close and you have to back away in order to throw your kick or punch. Too far away and you have to move closer in order to reach him. Everything is solved when you develop closing ability, and close quarter striking. All your strikes must be a fast coordinated flash while closing that gap. When you are able to do this, you become tough to deal with. Now you are able to use that space to your advantage. It's like having another weapon that you can use. There are many ways to deal with this space I speak of. I have shown a few in the videos I have done. You might come up with some as well. Work on change of pace movements. Moving slightly with a shuffle ---then exploding from there. Change the way you are moving. Not always the same motion. Change it up. I played lots of baseball in my younger years. Summer leagues on the Cape and in college. The one thing that I hated was a pitcher that could change speeds on his delivery. Gearing up for that fast ball and he throws me a change up. Damn, that drove me crazy. That's why I never impressed the scouts that were watching. Well----that change of pace works the same way when fighting. Be very much aware of it. Deal with it constantly when practicing your fighting. You want to be a good fighter??? Work the space. -----Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: BLOCKING - INFIGHTING INTRO

Post by Art Rabesa »

Also on this topic of blocking. I have been quoted many times when I say "there's not a lot of blocking going on in a real fight". Because your offense is your defense. Your attack can prevent any real blocking of things coming at you. When you're real close there is no blocking at all. I do not mean that attacks are striking you at will. The proper position of your arms and hands will deflect and smother lots of strikes. I can remember punches and kicks being deflected when I really didn't see them. You do not have to detect the strike in order to block it. Carrying your hands at the 10 and 2 position, and moving everything in one piece, tends to take care of many nasty things coming your way. Slight angles, and quick arm and shoulder movements, can take you in close. While everything is becoming very violent, your hands remain on that steering wheel at 10 and 2. From here, you are deflecting blows as well as firing your hands into the target. How you carry your head and set your jaw, has a lot to do with staying upright. I've had punches and kicks deflect off my arms just because my arms were there. Sounds simple, but it's not. Many will have their arms and hands moving all over the place in a confrontation. These people do not stay upright long. If you practice carrying your hands as I have explained, you will find lots of success when called upon. I have gone over this countless times in my videos. You fire strikes and deflect strikes from this same hand / arm position. Learn this steering wheel position and make it a strong muscle memory. One day you might thank me for this lesson. --------Happy Trails--------Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”