UECHI LONGEVITY

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

UECHI LONGEVITY

Post by Art Rabesa »

What keeps someone training well into their senior years? Anyone that begins training ,in any martial art, doesn't really plan on doing it forever. So what keeps one going year after year - decade after decade? We are all different types of people, with different personalities and wiring. I don't know if there is any one answer to what keeps one going. Here is my very biased thought on this subject. In practicing Uechi - Ryu, you have a karate style that has a very deep meaning. It has evolved over all these years, into a very beautiful yet powerful system. This may be one of the reasons that keeps one going. I know many that have trained in other styles, and they have given up their practice many years ago. Some because they just do not compete any longer. Once their fighting days are over, they stop. Some continue because they run a dojo, and it is business. In talking to some who have hung it up, I get different reasons for stopping. "I'm getting to old for that stuff". "My job is taking up too much of my time". "I want to spend more time with my family". These are just a few reasons I got from some of my students who no longer train. One said the fire just went out. His desire just went away for the training. So what keeps that fire burning for the training? Someone much smarter than I would have to do a study on it. I posted an article on the depth of Uechi-Ryu many moons ago. Finding something constantly in the style tends to keep ones interest. I've been pulling the style apart for a long time. I found many things in the style that I use in my teaching. To analyze Uechi-Ryu is really interesting and worthwhile. In my infighting training and teaching, I have found tons of different strikes hidden in the Uechi movements. Kata study, especially sanchin, has given me greater knowledge and appreciation of Uechi-Ryu. The idea of stopping my training has never entered my thoughts. There are many still practicing Uechi-Ryu well into their senior years. Each may have their own reason for their longevity, but it all means a continuance of this great karate style. I was at a get together last weekend with some old friends from my high school class. "You can't still be doing that karate stuff at your age". I get that all the time. I never really answer. I just say "Yup". Keep on keeping on. -----Happy Trails-----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: UECHI LONGEVITY

Post by Art Rabesa »

ONE MORE REASON HERE. This might be my own personnel reason for hanging in there all these 53 years of training. As I stated earlier, we are all wired differently. I really feel that I haven't reached that point in my training, where I'm content with my output. I want to get faster, and hit harder. I want my kata to move smoother and stronger. It is something that may be unattainable for me, but it is what keeps the fire burning. I wonder if there are others out there that feel this way. If you train in Uechi-Ryu, and you are going to make it a life long commitment, this just might be a good way to get there. Can you do it? I bet you can. ------Happy Trails------Art
Art Rabesa
maxwell ainley

Post by maxwell ainley »

For starters I don't have the answers ,do they pack in early in the orient ,or come and go like in the west .i noticed in the UK lots of people become old men past say thirty years of age ,this is similar to our sports ,but lots plod on .when I started in the 60s there were a handful locally doing Karate judo etc even boxing .then in the seventies things took off big style with thousands coming to train ,now there are about three of us left from those days ,I am starting to feel lonely .Max .
max ainley
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Don't feel lonely Max - feel proud. There are quite a few here that are still active in their senior years. I get together with them often. The answer to the longevity of training will always be a good discussion. Maybe someone will find the answer someday. Keep on keeping on. ----Happy Trails-----Art
Art Rabesa
hthom

Post by hthom »

I believe it is all in the mind. If your mind is weak---, well, no need for me to finish the sentence.

Let me quote a question I recalled from somewhere: "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"

It irritates me when I hear someone says: "I am too old for this". Or, "You are too old for this". What the hell! Go away! I don't need your bad influence.

If all the people you "hang around with" act as though they are a hundred, you probably act the same whether you know it or not.

The younger you think, the younger you act, and the younger you are.

A lot of people drop out of activities they did when younger. Doesn't matter what the activity is, to continue the activity forever takes determination, discipline, tenacity, etc, in addition to an enjoyment of the activity. It really doesn't have much to do with age. If one doesn't have the will or determination, he won't last. It could be ping pong, golf, or, hey, even marriage. It has nothing to do with age.

I have been for years going to the gym several times a week in addition to my Uechi practice. To be honest, quite often I had to consciously shut my brain off in order to finish all my gym routines. Nothing to do with my age, it just gets boring sometimes but I am not a quitter. So, I modify the routines, I make it harder sometimes and easier other times. I don't see quitting the gym any time soon. Besides, those skimpy gym outfits sure look good on those young women. :twisted:

Same with my Uechi practice. I love the art and I enjoy doing it to no end, but let me admit, some days I just don't feel like doing it. But, I still do it regardless. I can't remember missing one regular Uechi workout in the last ummty years except when I was sick or on vacation. Yes, some days when it gets bad I had to do katas the Taichi way-- soft and slow, but most of the time I still go at it full blown. Yea let me also admit, I can't do 3 times each of the eight katas non-stop anymore, can't do those spinning kicks or high kicks anymore either due to knee injuries, but, so what?!

For those who quitted, don't blame the age.

I started in the Mattson Academy back in 1965. I don't feel a day older than 40. Chronologically I will be 71 this Thanksgiving but it means absolutely nothing. Huge Hefner is still my hero. So there.
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Anthony Quinn had a child with his 32 year old secretary. He was 85. Now there's my hero. My uncle Lou played a round of golf and died a couple of weeks later. He was 94. Beat that Hugh Heftner. Keep on keeping on brother. -----Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa
Maurice Soque

Post by Maurice Soque »

Amen Henry, I like your style. Both you and Art are an inspiration to our great style of Uechi Ryu. I have heard it on a few occasions from several of our peers that "Uechi Ryu saved their life". Either their training built up a resiliency to combat certain health issues, or by putting a gi on and doing a kata during their time of battling an medical condition or ailment gave them the fighting spirit to go on. Whatever the case, nothing bad can happen to people that never stop training ...only good will happen to them. Or at least that is the path I am taking.

Yours in Uechi Ryu,
Maurice Soque
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://youtu.be/d8ztjfUCcXk
This is my 6th dan student Maurice Soque (53). After a workout - just a few more strikes at BOB before leaving. In my world, age is a number they put on you. So what!! ----Happy Trails----Art
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Maurice looking good at 53 :D and those kicks gave me a chuckle as you might recall they were the ones you got welcomed with in my sparring class/Columbus Ave dojo :mrgreen:
Van
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

I know. I'm still putting ice on it.
Art Rabesa
Maurice Soque

Post by Maurice Soque »

Thank you Van :wink: . I wish I could have been there on Columbus Ave....I will however settle for Bridgewater, MA. Maurice
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

The endgame is the most important part. Training is a path and, ideally, it should lead to increased mental and physical awareness. It is certainly true that most people wander off the path. But, to paraphrase Robert Frost, talking the road less traveled by makes all the difference. Martial arts training saved Bill Bauknecht's mind and his life. It gave him a way to focus and a yardstick to measure his progress over nineteen years that were supposed to be a year and a half.
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Bill's story could be a movie. We spoke of his situation once in awhile. The majority of the time we spoke of other things in our lives. He never hovered over his medical situation. I never treated him any different than when he was in good health. Bill knew I knew. That was enough. When we went through sanchin it was the same. Gradually, we had to make adjustments in his movements. We worked around them. Bill was remarkable in his realistic outlook of his condition. He didn't beat cancer, but he sure battled the hell out of it. I learned a lot about life and it's priorities from Bill. My friendship with him made me stronger and more aware. I miss him. ------Happy Trails-----Art
Art Rabesa
Harvey

Post by Harvey »

I know how you and Van and Bob and George thought about Bill. I felt the same way. Can we have some kind of memorial at camp?
Maurice Soque

Post by Maurice Soque »

I was referring to Bill Bauknecht on my June 18 post. We made Shodan together on Thompson Island - Boston, MA. Sept 1981 in front of Master Tomoyose. Bill and I were doing some kind of fighting drill together, a different student watching us had commented "those two guys must really hate each other" then someone from the Falmouth School replied "no, that's just how we train"...we were all busted up with our t-shirts ripped. One word describes Bill... "Warrior". Miss you Bill. RIP.

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”