WALTER - VAN - & ME

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

WALTER - VAN - & ME

Post by Art Rabesa »

I thought about posting this on my forum. It probably doesn't carry much weight with most people. Those in the study of Uechi Ryu might find it somewhat interesting. Just three old friends getting together for lunch every once in a while. Nothing unusual about that. Except these old friends happen to be 10th dans. When was the last time you saw three of this rank sitting together having lunch? Around 160 total years of Uechi longevity at that table. Now here's the thing. I'm the junior in this threesome. I do a great deal of listening and not much talking. Walter and Van were training for awhile before I began my study. This makes me the junior. Kind of nice for once. I'm usually the oldest in the group as I travel around teaching. We do not discuss the physical aspect of Uechi Ryu much. We discuss family, and our health, and people of yesteryear. Something that pops up once in awhile, is the responsibility of the rank we carry. Walter and Van have a strong belief in the humbleness of the rank. A belief that I also have. I still learn from listening to those who have been there. I listen to viewpoints and the philosophy that accompanies them. Walter goes to Okinawa every year. He knows what's going on there first hand. I learn all the news and politics of Okinawa. It's nice to be updated on the latest Uechi Ryu news. I often think that what we discuss should be taped and made into a journal of sorts. It might be very good reading. Lots of knowledge coming from that table. As I say, just a lot of listening by me. I'll throw something in once in awhile, but it usually is an agreement on something that has been expressed. So we sit and munch at our lunch, going from one topic to another, stemming from many years of experience. Three old friends, like any old friends, just getting together to chat and go over what's going on in our lives. No big deal. We leave and drop Van off at his house and head south to the Cape. I pick up my truck at Walter's house and drive the 15 minutes to my home. Just a nice time having lunch - Walter, Van, & Me. Walter Mattson, Van Canna, Art Rabesa. ----------Happy Trails -------Art
Art Rabesa
maxwell ainley

Re: WALTER - VAN - & ME

Post by maxwell ainley »

Its good you live close to one and another, ,friendship ,must be great chats you have .
max ainley
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

It is nice Max. I have close friends in Uechi Ryu that I have known for over 50 years. We still touch base often.
Art Rabesa
hthom

Post by hthom »

Real nice! Really nice!

Sometimes I wonder if I made a huge mistake moving away. I left Boston about 40 years ago (ten years after the first time I walked up the Mattson Academy stairs by the way). What that means is I left everything behind. As a good friend said "lock, stock and barrel". My wife and only son at that time soon joined me but, except for the immediate family such as my parents and siblings, I lost touch with all my Boston friends as years gone by. I made new friends in California but, as you probably guessed, it is just not the same. There are friends, and then there are "friends". Kids you grew up with are or were "friends".

Now that both my wife and I are retired and in an empty nest, a big empty nest, we are thinking of may be chucking it all and move even further south, to some place where there are no winters, for the winter of our life.

It was good seeing both you and Van at the Summerfest, albeit just briefly. See you all next year, and take care--------
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Don't go too far south Henry. Here in New England, winter is just one of the four seasons. Be safe my friend.
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

This is a very nice thread, and thank you Art for bringing this up
Walter and Van have a strong belief in the humbleness of the rank. A belief that I also have.
What makes this even more poignant is the experience that our friend Buzz Durkin had while training in Okinawa under master Uechi and reported in his wonderful book "Success is waiting"

Buzz, upon entering Master Uechi's Dojo, saw no-one other than an elderly man, sitting silently and placidly in a chair, wearing a plain white gi absent of patches and tied with a simple unadorned black belt turning white from fray.

Later in years when Master Uechi visited Boston for his second and final time, he wanted to visit Buzz Durkin's dojo. In Buzzy's words_ Master Uechi was the personification of altruism, adjusting folding chairs for two elderly visitors, never speaking about himself and his massive achievements, rather ...he spoke of all the benefits of practice and how to make it part of the students' lives.Image
Van
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Master Uechi was indeed quite a quiet humble leader. He was that figure sitting in a chair at the front left of his dojo. He would rise and look at your sanchin and return to his seat. He took the time to go to his living quarters and get some medicine for my ailing shin. He checked on my leg the next day upon arrival to his dojo. He was like a shadow moving around the dojo. He was simply a very nice human being. You can easily forget that he was the heart and soul of Uechi Ryu when in his company. His passing left a large void. I only hope we all can continue with our training and teaching of this style we all love. I'm certain that we can, but Master Uechi will never be able to be replaced.
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”