ART'S LESSON --

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

Re: ART'S LESSON --

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv-6aGLNcuM

A lesson on closing striking. Hand position using body mechanics. Both hands working together.Hand speed is related to hand position. Everything moving in one piece. A very good drill to teach striking speed. Also teaching hand position mechanics. I explain it as I'm teaching. Have a look. -----Happy Trails ---Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

The most difficult thing to explain in the teaching of Uechi Ryu is sanchin. Even as I sit here and type this post, I am trying to put into words what sanchin really is. Lets start with the perception of sanchin. MANY think of sanchin as simply an exercise, or another kata. Because sanchin is taught right away in ones training, it is thought to be basic. I do remember beginning my training with sanchin stepping. Nothing more - just stepping.I'm coming off the football season in college, and this is what I'm doing in karate? I bet many felt this way. I wanted to start kicking and punching holes in people, what the hell is this? NOW ---it was about ten years later, when I began to really understand why sanchin is so important. To really climb to that next level, I had to fully understand sanchin.So sanchin became everything in my training. Everything passed through sanchin - everything. Performing sanchin became an analytical study. Finding the "power base" became almost fanatical. It's in there and I want it. Well I found it I think. One never really knows. I do know that everything else in the training began to take off. The power became effortless. As I grew older, I felt I was hitting harder. I knew for a fact that I could hit harder than when I was competing. Kata took on a different look and feel. The two person kumite's became easier to understand and do. Understanding where the power is coming from was the important finding. Making points in the teaching, based on sanchin, gave me very strong students. Looking at how sanchin is done, and what we are trying to feel as we perform it. Analyze that step for foundation, and that thrust for effortless speed and power. Where can we find this in performing sanchin? It's right there. Find it. Why do I believe in doing sanchin at a slower pace? The answer is simply to let everything settle in. If you fill a bottle half way with water and then move it, the water inside will move around. Wait until the water is calm before moving the bottle again. Step at a slower pace and plant the foot and let everything settle. Do not just step but move that leg in it's slight arc in one piece. Plant it and let it take root. SETTLE. FOUNDATION. Next, find the power base to fire the thrust from. Draw the hand back and let the wrist rest alongside the pectoral. Everything is settled before letting that thrust go. Keep the palm up for 90% of the way before snapping it down. The major muscles of the back and shoulder will stop the thrust. The thrust really does not travel very far. To let it travel beyond the muscle stoppage will result in a very weak thrust, and possible elbow trouble. Take this into all other aspects of the Uechi Ryu training. EVERYTHING. I did say sanchin was difficult to explain. It took about 30 minutes to put this post together. I know I forgot other points here. Please go back and check out the POWER SANCHIN post with this fresh in your mind. I sure hope it makes sense. It does to me, but I've been playing with sanchin for 2/3 of my life. Someday I might understand it. ------Happy Trails ---Art
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Good post on Sanchin Art.

There is also something else that a student of sanchin comes to realize as the study progresses...and that is a better sense of balance in quick movements and free style sparring...a sense of balance that a student will realize was not there before the practice of sanchin.
Van
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

Here is father and son doing dan kumite. A prearranged two person set at black belt level. Maurice Sr. & Jr. Dad brings it pretty strong but Jr. hangs on. I teach this pretty close. It's prearranged so nothing should get in. However, as I attend many test sites, I see these prearranged strikes getting in. How the hands are carried has a lot to do with this. Also, blocking with just the arms and not bringing sanchin with you is the main issue. thttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xc-cNXLtEc
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: ART'S LESSON --Sparring instruction

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jXQY1FiAoI

Some free fighting instruction at fighting seminar. Best to just let them fight without any interruptions. However, the obvious must be pointed out. To be a good fighter, these mistakes must be done away with. We had a good time at this seminar and much was accomplished.-----Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9TMj0d0nn8

Using your legs to block is a must for any good fighter. However, to simply block that attack will not do you any good. He will simply reload and come again. Taking that attack, and turning it into your attack, is what you should be doing. No need to close the distance because he's doing that for you. Using tight arcing blocks as you're moving in will get the job done. Coming off those arcing blocks with short infighting strikes is what should be practiced. How you position yourself when leg blocking is also essential. Have a look. Other good stuff as well. -----Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

I'll be doing more lesson video clips shortly. Many will come right after teaching a class. I want to give more kata details. More tips on body alignment and mechanics as well. Power striking comes from proper alignment and body mechanics. I believe I can get this across by slowing things down for better understanding. Then showing it all out. Teaching with video clips is not my way of teaching. It's not the best way to learn. Getting on the dojo floor is, and always will be, the best way to learn. However, maybe one can pick up something with what I'm showing. I certainly hope so. The best way for me to teach is for you to be in front of me. In the meantime, the short video lessons will have to do. I'll do my best. ---Happy Trails -----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: ART'S LESSON --fighting

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbG51NXysUk

A few fighting tips. We all know that sparring and fighting are two different things. I'm giving some pointers that I picked up from my tournament days. Just some things to work on, that will make them smarter fighters. There's a ton more to do, but this is a good start. -------Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaxeGO7 ... QSdCUh3_gA

I'm teaching the front side snap hook. Like so many of the close strikes I teach, this one can look easy. What happens is a pushing or jabbing strike at first attempt. The snap just before impact, will take practice. It's that very fast twist of the hand that will explode this very tight arc into the target. I really like this strike coming off the front foot. With a slight slid you can really cover some distance. This can be used very tight as well. Another strike you can add to your ammo belt. It's a good one. Have a look. ------Happy Trails -----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: ART'S LESSON --Thrust Drill

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31SJxwMIpok

Here is a simple sanchin thrusting drill I've been using , and teaching, for many decades. It's a drill that will really help you understand the thrust and where the power comes from. This is where the infighting power strikes was born. Do this drill prior to doing sanchin kata at every workout. Watch what happens to your sanchin thrust after awhile. Try it sitting down. The result will be a faster stronger thrust and crisper close quarter strikes. Have patience with this drill. It will not feel very strong in the beginning. It'll pay off. -----Happy Trails-----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: ART'S LESSON --Coming

Post by Art Rabesa »

UPCOMING LESSONS:
---Close quarter drill. Strikes from 10 & 2 position.
---Uechi Ryu blocks. Leg blocks.
---Kata drills. Movements found in all kata
---Double Thrust Power with fighting foundation drill
---Watch for it
---Happy Trails ---Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: ART'S LESSON --close drill

Post by Art Rabesa »

Using striking equipment like Bob, or the heavy bag, is good to practice the power of your strikes. To actually get a good feel for close quarter strikes, you need the human body. It will give you the awareness of the target areas. This drill is done slowly for safety purposes. These infighting strikes are really stopping blows, and safety is of the utmost importance. There are more infighting strikes that I teach, but these are at the top of the list. One of the very important things to be aware of, is moving from strike to strike. Keeping your foundation solid and hand position set up is worked on here. Lots of grabbing, tugging, sliding and stepping, head position. All will occur as you and your partner work. The non striking hand is really important in this drill. Moving from strike to strike is guided by the non striking hand. Good luck with this drill. It should be part of your regular workout. Happy Trails---Art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dYt26jawy8
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Great drills Art.
Van
Art Rabesa

Post by Art Rabesa »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3yTt1s5LQg
A quick lesson on the elbow strike to the body from real close. I've thrown in a back hand off the elbow strike as well. There are other areas to strike with the elbow as we all know. This is how to get the point of the elbow into the body sharply. Watch the hand position and body torque. Other elbow strikes will be shown soon. To be a good in fighter, the elbow has to be one of your main weapons. Making powerful contact with the elbow is not easy. Many tend to hit with the forearm or slide off target. To drive that elbow in deep will need understanding of this nasty strike. Watch this clip carefully, and stay tuned for other lessons on the elbow. -------Happy Trails----Art
Art Rabesa
Art Rabesa

Re: ART'S LESSON --Swiss Army Knife

Post by Art Rabesa »

Have you ever seen a Swiss Army knife? It has an assortment of blades and other tools that can be used for a number of things. I look at the hand sort of the same way. My mind works that way. Weird I guess, but stay with me here. I see at least eleven strikes that can be delivered with the hand. You look at your hand and it's just a hand. It's quite a weapon you have there. I'm sure I can come up with a few more strikes, but I'll show these eleven. Stay tuned for my next lesson on our Swiss Army Knife. ------Happy Trails ----Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”