The Untold Story Of Kanbun Uechi

The Footprints of Kanbun Uechi magazine articles

Moderator: Bill Bauknecht

Art Rabesa

Re: The Untold Story Of Kanbun Uechi

Post by Art Rabesa »

This should be recommended reading for all who study this art.
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

This by Laird on another thread, seems to fit with what Fujimoto talks about the many ways of practice.
Martial arts are about looking inward and addressing ones short comings. A good student is honest with oneself and seeks to improve upon their flaws. A poor students constantly runs away to a new style, without learning much about each system. The problem is not inside the system the problem is inside the student. If they don't address the problem they will always be flawed and cast a dirty shadow on the art they train/trained.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Of interest is the fact that there was one woman student of Kanbun, and that Fujimoto will cover that in a sequel.
Van
ACloutier

Post by ACloutier »

I recently received a signed copy from the author. It is a great addition to any Uechi-Ryu library, with some interesting stories of the Wakayama period, which the author says he obtained from elderly surviving students of that time period.
"Fall Seven, Rise Eight"
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Thanks for joining my forum ACloutier...feel free to post as you wish.

Tell us a bit about yourself and the dojo in Hawai.
Van
trose

Post by trose »

Good Afternoon Sensei,

Looking forward to seeing you at SummerFest this year!

I followed the link you supplied but there is no information on how to obtain this book.
Do you have a link where we could buy this?

Thank You
T
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Yes, I'd love a link to where to buy a copy.

What the story tells most is the breadth and adaptability of Uechi.

One of the reasons I have remained Uechi is because of what I can bring into this great style.
Rick Wilson - http://wpd-rc.com/
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

<Announcement>
Okinawa Uechi-Ryu Karate-Do Association Tokyo Branch has received many purchase orders of Uechi-Ryu founder, Kanbun Uechi's biography from Karate friends all over the world since English version of the book was published on March this year.

Fortunately the books have kept receiving a favorable reputation, now only small number of copies left in our stock. Requested by many people, we may have to discuss about reprinting of the books and also we have to consider how to reduce handling work and cost.

Then we would like to ask anyone who would like to purchase the books to place purchase order not by each individual but by a group such as organization and dojo in lump sum (Minimum order 20 copies).

Further enquirers and purchase reservations from group representatives through our website would be appreciated.

Also we would appreciate it if you would understand that we may not be able to reprint depending on the number of reservations from you.

*There are still some stocks in Shureido shop and History shop in Shurijo Castle Park in Okinawa.

** Bronze stature of Kanbun Uechi will be put up at his birthplace in Yaedake (where was introduced in the biography as well) in this fall. It will be the first bronze stature as Karate-ka in Okinawa. It will be worth for you to visit there.
Van
trose

Post by trose »

Thank You
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

You're welcome Tracy...looking forward to seeing you too at camp...always a pleasure my good friend.

The book is not mine or I would bring it with me for you to take home and read.

It belongs to one of my students.

Really a nice one to read because it reflects first hand information from still living students of Kanbun, now close to 90 years of age.

At least now we know how Kanbun learned and taught how to breathe :lol:

I don't see anybody jumping in to dispute it...

Also interesting to learn that Shushiwa was killed by wounds sustained in a fight with 'Dojo busters'...

He should have carried a gun :mrgreen:
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Chapter seven of the book goes into the legacy and the differences in the style...

it sets forth what I am fond of referring to as the 'human condition'...

For example...Ryuyu Tomoyori was Kanbun's top student from the Wakayama dojo days.
Tomoyori picked up the mantle Kanbun had left him by opening up a dojo in Tebira.

He was a well respected man also teaching the police and serving as chairman of the Okinawa prefectural association.

The book explains Tomoyori did most faithfully pass down Kanbun's style...

the changes came about as karate went from a strictly martial art to taking on aspects of sport and fitness.

Fujimoto writes that while he understands the changes in a positive light...we should never lose sight of the style's origin and try to preserve its traditions.

There is more to this line of thinking...but I will stop here...I don't want to meddle with the book...you just need to try and get your hands on one...
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

From the writings of Seizan we learn
Uechi Kanbun deeply remembered the appreciation that Shuu Shiwa gave him.

He believed that strictly passing [the training that Shuu Sensei gave him]
on to the next generation was the highest [honor] he could show.

So he
never created kata, he didn't change or add, he preserved and cherished Shuu
Shiwa's direct technique. This was the only Way (DO) that he believed in --
to preserve exactly the direct training [technique]. [He did not copy or
modify, he did not imitate -- he lived the DO of Shuu Shiwa.]
This of course not to mean that any changes by his son kanei and others down the line, now, and very likely forever and ever...do not hold any value.

Every senior senior in Uechi you talk to, will tell you this "when I see good Uechi I will know it"
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

The why of prearranged kumites

Seizan
Since jiyu kobo was no longer being taught, students who went in for
fighting competition (which was becoming increasingly popular at the time
and which attracted new students to the winning dojo or style quite nicely)
were showing lack of control and technique in fighting.

There were too many
injuries due to lack of training in distancing, focus, balance, etc. -- not
by powerful techniques but by plain sloppy fighting.

A method had to be
developed outside of strict Bunkai to teach more control in attack/defense
techniques. The finalized set of kumites fulfilled this function.
It sort of makes sense.
Van
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

(Fujimoto)
The techniques of Uechi-ryu have changed with time as the style moved from Wakayama to Osaka, and then to Amagasaki and finally Okinawa. It might be a worthwhile challenge to study these differences together with the history that made them.

Rather than emphasizing what’s right or wrong, old or new, any such attempt would have to be done in a spirit of cooperation and mutual respect for all people involved. A large number of Uechi-ryu practitioners in Okinawa and from overseas have already been visiting Wakayama to do just this.
Van
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

With a little work I am sure the book could be loaded into Amazon's company CreateSpace which will print on order and handle the payments, printing and shipping. Designed for self publishing and it can be accessible around the world.

It would probably also make it a price most could afford and they will still do well on the profit side. :)

Rory Miller's wife, Kami, in fact prepares books for self publishing if they need any help.

https://www.createspace.com/
Rick Wilson - http://wpd-rc.com/

Return to “Kanbun Uechi”