My thoughts on Blocking

"The title is "Explosive Uechi-ryu" and the moderator is Arthur Rabesa. Art will be exploring the power contained in Uechi-ryu that is not appreciated by the average practitioner. Make no mistake - this forum is for the serious martial artist and I wholeheartedly recommend it for anyone who really wants to tap his or her explosive power potential.

Moderator: Available

Art Rabesa

Re: My thoughts on Blocking

Post by Art Rabesa »

When I talk to martial artists that I respect, concerning this topic. I find things to be very much the same. Blocking during an actual "Fight", or a sudden attack. Two very different situations. One can be faced and worked out. The other can not. The sudden attack is a reaction muscle memory. Snapping the hands to the chest and moving at an angle in a snap, is a reaction. We have this in our Uechi Ryu training. It's all through the training. It must be seen as that. That is the main problem when going through anything prearranged. I've stated this fact many times before. Sometimes a signal will begin the attack in these practices. You get lulled into your movements as you go through the set. It's prearranged; you know what's coming. "WAIT". Force yourself to wait until that attack is well on it's way. You'll figure out very quickly what has to be done. Your initial response must be quick and minimized. The "Block" becomes a deflection as you move. AS You Move; not once you've moved. Now here's the thing here. You will take some shots practicing this. You'll figure out that the feet do not actually step. It's a snapping movement off the ball of your foot. Like the turn from the sanchin stance. Many times you're only turning to the side and not behind you. The main "KEY" here is moving and having the hands up in "One Piece". All happening at the same time. Just like kata. To learn to move in "One Piece" is going to put you in a strong position. I go over this principle in my video lessons. So it becomes more the fast initial one piece movement then blocking. Okay! I suggest you practice this. Just a suggestion.
Happy Trails ------Art
Art Rabesa
Van Canna

Re: My thoughts on Blocking

Post by Van Canna »

Great post Art...and a concept I use in all I do as well. It's really a no-brainer.

Rick Wilson also teaches the concept of 'moving you'...not them...

something one quickly learns if attacked by an opponent built like a tank.
Van
Art Rabesa

Re: My thoughts on Blocking March 2008

Post by Art Rabesa »

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=18914
In going over past posts, I discovered this stuck in the back of this forum. My friend and student Bill chips in with his help posting the material. Bill also posts his thoughts on blocking as well. Bill is not with us now but his insight is right on the money. All my lessons bring out what is posted here. I apologize for the length of the post. This was before I could operate the computer or any video lessons. Backing up this post with many of my video lessons, will illustrate the meaning. The speed and power of Uechi Ryu is always an element that I want to bring forward. In my way; I keep trying to show this. Intent practitioners of the Uechi Ryu style of karate will understand my meaning. Others will stay on the path they are on. This is the next level I speak of. There is another level you know. In my 54 years of training, I know of this next level. I certainly hope I have reached this level. If I have, I will keep practicing to make sure I stay there. If I have not; I will keep practicing to get there. Either way: it exists. -------Happy Trails ---------Art
Art Rabesa

Return to “Explosive Uechi-ryu”