My Knife Defence Book is ready for sale

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: My Knife Defence Book is ready for sale

Postby Rick Wilson » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:54 am

Thank you, Van.
Rick Wilson - http://wpd-rc.com/
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:19 pm

You're welcome Rick...just calling it as I see it.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:38 pm

On page 50 we read about the feelings of fear when coming under attack with a knife, the body's natural instinctive reactions to it, and the ways Rick outlines the concepts of making those reactions work for you.

He list 21 concepts to ingrain into your practice of any engaging action with an opponent...something that will improve your empty hands defense as well.

Of particular interest are the 'bone slaving' ...'swallow' and 'wringing out the towel' concepts that are great training tools.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:18 pm

From the book:

I wrote the manual because many many years ago a good friend, Reg Kinal, and I were in the dojo one morning and we found some rubber tanto training knives. We thought, “Hey we’re black belts, how hard could knife defence be” so we attacked each other. The good thing about those rubber knives when they are new is that they leave black marks on a white Karate gi. Within a very short period of time we were covered in black lines and had “died” over and over again.

We learned two things:

1. We had no idea how to defend against a knife. We were trained but not trained.
2. Arrogance will get you killed. Even though we were black belts, if you haven’t trained in something then you know crap about it.

From that day on I set out to find a knife defence system that would give me and others a chance to survive.

Self defence is a broad topic with so many aspects to cover. Defence against a knife is one of those topics. I was never taught in my Uechi training how to defend against a knife. I don’t mean this as a criticism to anyone, just as a fact.

Many martial art schools do not teach knife defence or they teach it against unrealistic attacks.

I am hoping that my book provides a guide for those to explore and cover a vital area of self defence if they haven’t covered it.

I am hoping that my book provides a guide for those who are attempting to cover this vital area to work towards protecting themselves against how real and deadly assaults happen.
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 pm

I agree, Rick.
Self defence is a broad topic with so many aspects to cover. Defence against a knife is one of those topics. I was never taught in my Uechi training how to defend against a knife. I don’t mean this as a criticism to anyone, just as a fact.

The assumption here is that Uechi is a 'complete style' whatever the hell that means...and knife defense is 'built in'...

I think what's 'built in' can come across as petty arrogance and it is a quick way to a pine box being lowered to a 'sanchin salute'...

Same with grappling...it ain't built in...you've got to get your ass to a grappling school and learn.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:52 pm

and knife defense is 'built in

it ain't built in

100% correct Van.

BUT it can be "built on." :)
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Rick
BUT it can be "built on." :)

Yup, just like the other tactical stuff I have been talking about for twenty years here...and caused all those 'knotted panties'...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:59 am

Uechi is a perfect frame work to hang everything on.

While what is in the book will work for anyone I think Uechi people should feel very at home with it. My Uechi base shines through.

Since I retired and closed my martial arts school I have taught a select group of people with a variety of training backgrounds. All skilled and talented people.

But one thing I have found about Uechi people, regardless of their training methods or base, is the ability to coordinate two arm movements. The Wauke is the primary tool within Uechi (my opinion) and that gives this gift to Uechi practitioners.
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:32 pm

I am in full agreement Rick. I want to be clear to all people who read this, that we are not...were not ever knocking the Uechi style, by any 'tactical limitations' observations ever brought up for discussion.

The Uechi system is a very valuable and sophisticated platform, and as in everything else we talk about...a student will ingrain the concepts of the style only after many years of training, and after exposure to other Uechi groups to determine how well the concepts work along a median set of practitioners.

What we saw in the past here, was a few misguided individuals[you will remember who they were] who felt they had reason to knock Uechi after not much, if at all, immersion in it.

In addition to the excellent wauke as you note, I feel that the well designed rotational tenshin angles and lunges, in particular Sanseiryu Kata...are very beneficial as a solid platform for your knife defense concepts.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:26 pm

Knife Defence *****

Dealing with a knife empty handed is a really bad place to end up.

There are no right answers and no absolutes in knife defence. You’re facing a person with a tool that is far better at damaging the human body than what you have. You’re facing a person who doesn’t need a lot of skill or training to damage you with that tool.

Knife defence *****. Which is exactly why you must train for it.

I won’t tell anyone I have all the answers to knife defence but in searching for many years for something that holds up to the best testing we can give it I have something to offer which is why I wrote my book.

But the book is not a quick fix or a learn this one technique and you’re good to go. There is no such thing for knife defence.

What is offered is a way to look at how you want to defend against a knife, the tactics to use depending on your approach, the principles to make things work, a technique to hang those principles on, drills that allow you to learn and use the skills needed to defend against a knife, and how to condition your response to work in a sudden violent surprise assault.

If you expect a book that says here learn this one move and magic will happen this isn’t it. There is basically one technique but to make that work you must do the drills in the book to get the skills.

There are a number of drills but two main Skill Set Drills that may seem the least real are actually critical to making things work in that sudden violent moment of a sharp object trying to eviscerate you. Those are the Tactical Sensitivity Drill and The Hand Drill.

Once you understand the principles used and have worked on the skill set drills you must condition your responses and the book ends with some vital information on how and what to condition.

Knife defence ***** but we can do our best to prepare for it. No absolutes; no right answers; no promises; just the best options I can offer.

You can find the book here: Watch Out For The Pointy End

http://wpd-rc.com/blog/knife-defence-sucks/
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 pm

The most scary part of that pointy end in the hands of the assailant...comes about when one suddenly realizes all those 'assumed' techniques that were supposed to work as 'built in' are simply not there and the blood starts to run.

And when we realize that even with a gun pumping bullets into a knife attacker...we may still die...

Here's the video of my dear friend police officer, Joy Pep, shooting a crazed knife assailant...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRCPuQaZM8s

I talked to Joey a few weeks after the incident....he said he had hit the assailant with all his shots, but he kept coming and took one final lunge before dropping dead.

Maloney and I learned the 'Mozambique' drill with a handgun against the knife...a technique used by all police officers when faced with the 21 foot rule dynamics.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:08 pm

If you expect a book that says here learn this one move and magic will happen this isn’t it. There is basically one technique but to make that work you must do the drills in the book to get the skills.

Very true...though some people will just disappear behind their style dujour arguing 'we do it all...and it's all built in' ...

This is serious business and time must be allocated to those drills out of a standard workout...and if those drills are not done along an operant conditioning mode...then nothing will ingrain...

I repeat again, here on my forum...be careful...don't take anything for granted against a blade...read carefully what Rick keeps on writing...don't fall for some miraculous style being sold out there...just because you may not do well in Uechi, and then go on believing you are ready to go against a knife...if you do, best to arrange your prepaid funeral.

Or you may think you won't need any of this because 'I'll just shoot him' ...

well...the bad news is that even if you should happen to have a gun in your hand, when a knife attack comes...which you won't...you have no guarantees of stopping the blade from sticking you.

Watch the video again. You are no trained police officer like Joey Pep.

Van
Van Canna

Postby Rick Wilson » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:14 pm

Very true, Van.

Fantastic clip demonstrating controlling the distance. And how fast that control could be taken from you. 8O
Rick Wilson

Postby Van Canna » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:11 am

The Weapon Reality:
There are more and more fights taking place where a weapon was brought to use before, during, or after the confrontation.
Especially knives
Always be aware and prepared for a weapon in a street fight at anytime

Reason why Rick's book is a must have for any of us who practice for engagement...

You close in with an opponent...you will find a surprise waiting...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Josann » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:12 am

Van Canna wrote:The most scary part of that pointy end in the hands of the assailant...comes about when one suddenly realizes all those 'assumed' techniques that were supposed to work as 'built in' are simply not there and the blood starts to run.

And when we realize that even with a gun pumping bullets into a knife attacker...we may still die...

Here's the video of my dear friend police officer, Joy Pep, shooting a crazed knife assailant...

I talked to Joey a few weeks after the incident....he said he had hit the assailant with all his shots, but he kept coming and took one final lunge before dropping dead.

Maloney and I learned the 'Mozambique' drill with a handgun against the knife...a technique used by all police officers when faced with the 21 foot rule dynamics.

Van, why do you hint that uechi has gotten away from being a self defense system and more of an art form? I have the feeling that the "do" has gotten more important that the jutsu aspect of the style. I have been able to train with some of the best uechi teachers in the world being from Massachusetts, and have rarely had any teach true self defense. My own experience is that 15 years ago, I cross trained in small circle jujitsu and my teacher was very open minded. He loved uechi as a base system to transition to grappling from. He used wing chun as his base, and when he heard I studied uechi, he said to ke p doing that, as it is a great base to operate out of. He never tried to change my uechi base. No uechi teacher would ever do that, you would be told o unlearn what you already know. We trained against weapons for a portion of every class, and I found that uechi is effective if you can transition.

Got Rick's book on kindle. Much needed for uechi practitioners, as even the best uechi teachers are not teaching anything near realistic self defense.
Josann

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities