Deep Sea –- K&R Both Near and Far

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

<center><font color=green>Deep Sea – K&R Both Near and Far</font></center>

I need to get several things into words first.

1) If you are not up to the current lecture, you are not falling behind. This is a self-paced course, and I’m announcing the next lectures to feed those who have completed the previous lesson and are craving for more. Not to worry.

2) The class project is not necessary to get a good understanding of C. Only several have started it -- and they are keeping up. The class project becomes one for those wishing to write professional code, and is a step or two above most desires. Also, after the class has progressed more and you feel comfortable using your new tools, and wish to start the class project, then that’ll be the right time for you to dive in.

3) Starting with the next series of lectures there will be imbedded mini-programs, applications for the purpose of detailing the lecture at hand.

<hr>
The near and far part:

I have scanned across a series of chapters in the first series of lectures to follow modern day programming methodologies. However, I have covered much of chapter 1 and the rest of what I will cover in that chapter will be part of the next series of lectures.

I will NOT be covering the two paragraphs that start with “Just how…” and “if you haven’t…” on page 6, They are for UNIX usage. I also will not be covering section 1.10 which starts on page 31 unless I paint myself into a corner. Modern day paradigms shy away from letting global stuff float around in different modules, rather the liberal usage of assessors and mutators is commonplace instead.

Please read and reread the second paragraph on page 34.

Please try some of the programs in chapter 1 and ask questions about any material in chapter 1 except for the aforementioned sections I will not cover.

Past, current, and near-future reference reading can be found in the following chapters/sections:

4.5, 4.6, 4.8, 4.9, 4.11
5.7, 5.8, 5.9
6.1, 6.2
Avoid 7.4 like the plague

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera

Post by Guest »

The lectures seem to provide the tools to complete the project. One feeds the other.

A good test,was that also one of the goals Allen? (lectures provide tools,project test tools application)

In my mind a great way to teach and a great way to test for comprehension.

Thanks for providing us with such a well designed learning enviroment.

Laird

Btw, great to know this is self paced learning, You've been rather prolific of late. Image
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Prolific? I write when I have time, youse guys study when you have time, the only way I figure a cyber course will work for all concerned.

I looked at my latest diagram of the checkbook application I sent youse guys over the weekend after I was satisfied I did it right, and then began to think that maybe what I was envisioning was too difficult to continue for your grasping pleasure until more basics have been mastered. I want this course to not be a struggle, so I'm backing off a little -- for now. After all, the minds are on the holiday season.

------------------
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi Allen,

Could you elaborate on your reference to the use of 'assessors and mutators' in preference of global variables? If I'm jumping the gun on a forthcoming lecture then I'm quite happy to wait.

Thanks,

Rik
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Kind of jumping the gun and so was I because accessors and mutators are C++ terms. The only way to access data in C++ is through public methods, or functions, because all data is [supposed to be] private. One accesses the data through a method called an accessor and one gives it new data that changes the behavior of that particular file through a mutator.

We are going to synthesize those things in C to ease the transition into C++. A better way, anyway, to do C ...And, it's almost for free. Image

------------------

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”