Good talk on blocks

Sensei Canna offers insight into the real world of self defense!

Moderator: Van Canna

Re: Good talk on blocks

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:43 am

Thanks for the post Rick. We read of stabbings every day, including the EMT stabbed in the ambulance by the patient being transported to the hospital. Yet most of us teachers are very cavalier about how the style we practice dealing with knife attacks successfully.

You wrote
I also recommend when doing alive training (not prearranged) everyone has a safe training knife on them and when portraying the bad guy (the Aggressor), they can deploy it at anytime during the simulation. They don’t start with it deployed but pull it at some point when in close or clinching.

I find that the first time or two the person the Aggressor was facing didn’t know they were now being struck with a knife and not empty hand BUT after that couple of times they recognized the feel of the body when the Aggressor reaches for the weapon. Never any guarantees when dealing with a knife but we can up our percentage chances for survival.

Good advice but it needs commitment in an average class to practice it often enough so as to achieve some sense of operant conditioning. I think that type of training may also scare some students who prefer to think they are ready for it just like they think they are ready in a grapple attack without having practiced any of it...because it is in the style...the complete style BS.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:58 am

The sobering part of what Paul says is that your body goes into shock almost immediately from the nasty cuts, you’ll have no timing, no footwork…no nothing… left.

You’ll pass out in 15 seconds…and will have three seconds to react, if that.

The three rules: run. Hide…or fly_

Pretty much knocks your formidable karate down the crapper.

And you get into any fight today, it will be multiple opponents, and there will be blades in the fight_ blades that will appear when you least expect it.

Different tactics need be developed.

'closing the distance' sounds good ...reads good on paper...but you have no guarantee that when you hit someone, especially if big and strong, you will stop him...you are fighting adrenal fury...

practicing going from empty hands to weapon is a good drill...an OC pepper spray device should almost be glued to your hands in every day life.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:10 pm

The training we do should focus on our first reaction to any attack as it was commented on this forum in the past.

I think the best first reaction is evasion footwork that helps transition to a defensive non lethal weapon such as pepper spray and go from there.

We have read about the 53 year old guy in Taunton who was stabbed while getting gas at a station...same place where an employee was badly bitten by some punk the week before.

Ever hear a teacher talk about the 'biting' potential ....when he tells you to close the distance with an opponent? They never mention teeth or blades...
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:13 pm

This from Suarez is golden:

"Combat has ugliness, a reality and a finality that cut through all the dogma, doctrine, style disputes and miscellaneous clap-trap that clogs our consciousness. It's simple, violent and animalistic. Understand it and accept it."

-Gabe Suarez

Thinking you can be ready to deal with it successfully with karate training can remain an illusion, even as training helps.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:15 pm

Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Where is the tactical...

Where is it? And does it teach you _ When to act and how? _

1. Unjustified aggressive action can land you in jail.

2. Unresponsive or indecisive behavior in the face of potentially lethal danger can put you in a coffin.

3. Under stress…action will beat reaction every time...

4. There is a critical difference between waiting for the blow to fall and acting when you see or sense the blow forming.

5. You should know when and how to act _ not react_ when handling the problem.

6. You direct the action _ you do not let the threat control you.

7. What do you believe?

8. You believe that you must train physically and mentally for this _ or do you believe that it will all come to you automatically?

9. When you sense an attack in progress…do you wait for the attack to start before you react? Do you wait for the attacker to do whatever he is going to do first_ or do you work between his time frame?

10. Can you think of an example of ‘working within his time frame?
Where is the ‘tactical’ in your system?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:22 pm

wes tasker »

I'm fortunate in that my wife worked for a law firm for a number of years and my current instructor (Tuhon Bill McGrath) and a former instructor (Tuhon Roberto Torres) are/were both law enforcement - so between my own research and their advice, we got a lot of information regarding self-defense, use of force, etc. in the eyes of the legal system.

2. Unresponsive or indecisive behavior in the face of potentially lethal danger can put you in a coffin.

3. Under stress…action will beat reaction every time...

4. There is a critical difference between waiting for the blow to fall and acting when you see or sense the blow forming.

5. You should know when and how to act _ not react_ when handling the problem.

6. You direct the action _ you do not let the threat control you.

Which is why, in Pekiti Tirsia, we have "offense" and "counter-offense" - no defense to be found....

8. You believe that you must train physically and mentally for this _ or do you believe that it will all come to you automatically?

One must train both physically and mentally for this. There's no other way around it except for continued actual exposure - which is training by default...

9. When you sense an attack in progress…do you wait for the attack to start before you react? Do you wait for the attacker to do whatever he is going to do first_ or do you work between his time frame?

10. Can you think of an example of ‘working within his time frame?

Always try to act as soon as possible. With the caveat of acting to a known threat rather than someone reaching for their cell phone... This type of thing should be built into the training if possible.

An example would be, for me, using footwork to "steal time" so that within the same beat I make it harder for them to do harm on the next beat while making it easier for me to neutralize them. I'm assuming I'm behind the 8 ball to start... If not then it's a different story as far as timing goes - maybe.....

- wes tasker
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:05 am

Getting back to your car in the mall parking lot with packages in your hand_ someone big and mean looking _sneaks up on you [awareness will only get you so far] and with his hands in his pockets commands “ give me your wallet or I’ll blow your head off” _

It doesn’t take much time to utter those words_

How long does it take for the meaning of those words to sink in ?

One thing is readily apparent_ you are now in ‘the kill zone’ _

After the ‘sinking in’ time …there will be ‘decision time’ to act and how_

During the ‘decision time frame’ you think_ he might not be armed after all, and maybe his intent is not to strong arm you or rob you, despite your perceptions of the ‘AOJ’ triad [ ability_ opportunity_ and belief of being in imminent jeopardy of death or grave bodily harm] _

So the thought flashes _ any action you take under the stress of the moment, especially if you draw a weapon… can escalate the situation and get you in the dumpster.

Any ‘counter offense’ as Wes points out…to be effective, in my opinion, is to happen while the threat is still talking…he talks and you act…

There is no question about the fact you must react somehow even if it means giving the punk your wallet.

Is your brain trained to instantly ‘seize’ the situation_ accommodate all the above thinking process then launch the counter offense just as the threat is at the end of his words?

Can you really count on having every question resolved 100% before you act?

There are many factors involved in such cases outside your immediate sphere of perceived control.

There could be more ‘thinking’ _

“I might well not be up for this confrontation_ he looks too big, too strong, too mean”

“I might be in the wrong place at a serious wrong time”

“I might be very ill- equipped _ physically or weapons wise_”

“Do I just toss him my wallet and flee?”

“Well, if I do that he will know who I am and where I live…do I care or do I not?”

“Do I run [if I can] chancing an attack at my shoulders? Will he pull a gun and shoot me in the back as I try to run? Can I really run or am I too old, too fat and out of shape?”

“ what if I smack him with my empty hands ‘weapons’ without much effect…pissing him off and causing him to pull a weapon to which I then have to react?”

“Well, maybe with his hands in the pockets he must be armed…so do I pull my gun or knife hoping to escalate my response to exceed his threat capabilities? And once pulled what do I do or say? “

“You think…with all the possible above solutions…it is critical that you get out of ‘the hole’ ‘the kill zone’ _

What else could be happening?
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:06 am

mikex1337 »

Great response, Van Canna. Very interesting analysis of the situation of "the kill zone."
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:08 am

While these thoughts may flash through your mind…you are basically reduced to two options…

1. Counter offense very quickly_ possibly with lethal force if you ‘read it’ necessary.
2. Surrender…

In any case you need to get out of the ‘kill zone’ …’out of the hole’ either to fight or to run keeping in mind that the attacker may shoot at you as you run, or try to stab you during your actions.

He may have friends in the classic ‘pincer’ attack….you have not yet seen…

And turning your back on an aggressor usually means surrender and signal weakness.

You may want to try defusing…so you talk…you might stammer giving away your insecurities and fears of the moment….

But if you don’t keep your attention and resolve to quickly solve the problem_ he will suddenly move in on you, leaving a very short reaction time frame.

So now he has forced you to react and his actions may well beat your reactions.

What went wrong? You think you did everything you were taught in the dojo_ but….
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:12 am

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/ ... story.html

Here is a good example ...a man stabbed while getting gas....
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:17 am

"A Prepared Mind ..."

Postby Topos »

Van,

Your sage "But if you don’t keep your attention and resolve to quickly solve the problem_ " has a corollary.

Imagine in your minds eye that as you are, say, walking to your car in a parking garage, or exiting an elevator at the Common Garage, that you will be confronted ... and then see your self dropping your package, fish tail slapping a hand followed by crane strike to trachea, etc."

As it takes about 1/10 th of a second for your 'editor' brain to gasp and then react to an unexpected situation but by this pre-visualization you have gained via this pre-thought a set up for a faster, non surprised, response.

It also projects a modicum of calmness that could make you less appetizing to a possible assailant.

50 years ago I saw a situation where a really tough long shoreman type from South Boston was loose, confident, and fast, much as an adult against a child, in a tense situation with a weaker bar patron, allowing his maximum relaxed response.

It was similar to a recent Discovery Channel Show of an Uechi Master demonstrating the Crane Strike from Sanseiryu ending - his whole body was moved in forceful unison with no counteracting inhibitory muscle tensioning.

The delivery of his strike to a students chest was maximally and efficiently delivered. Adductors with minimum Abductors.

Back to the 'mating' ritual in that bar. One day that the same longshore man was matched against someone of equal capability who played intimidation 'head games'.

Now it was a different story. I saw his muscles involuntarily tighten up, his jaw clench, etc., and he was now at an inhibitory disadvantage which his 'playmate' quickly took advantage of.

He wound up looking up from the floor. [Yours truly was discreetly 'invisible' and proceeded to 'evaporate' out the door onto Broadway and away. "Look for me and I cannot be seen" {grin}]

The many studies discussed on this forum indicate an added benefit in that you have a high probability of projecting "I Am Not A Good Prospect For Your Predation".

Topos
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:21 am

As to ‘tactics’ the lethal force trainers explain that most people misinterpret the concept as best to protect themselves during a fight_ how to ‘avoid injury to themselves’

‘They just have it plain backward’ <

Tactical means training in getting better situational control over the threat_ better overview of your engagement ‘terrain’ _knowing what when and how you can use your force continuum so you survive financially and stay out of jail.

It means to learn not to be seized by disbelief…”this is not really happening to me” _

You will have about five seconds to decide and you can die within those fateful seconds.

Tactical means a risk assessment of your real level of readiness and effectiveness superimposed over your personal life style…super-imposed on what you really know about yourself…who and what you really are.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:24 am

Anything can happen anytime anywhere.

The four had been listening to music in a parking lot behind Mount Vernon School when they were gradually joined by a group of men, authorities said.

Newark Police Director Garry McCarthy said the four exchanged text messages saying they should leave, but were attacked before they could do so.

Police said the attackers shot one young woman, then forced her three companions down an alley, lined them up against a wall, made them kneel and shot each in the head.
Van
Van Canna

Postby Van Canna » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:25 am

Reading the above makes it clear that _ Some of us are destined to a date with violence which will strike suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, usually overwhelmingly _for no apparent reason and with numbing effects at the worst possible time of ‘preparedness’ _

You are now a candidate for the gurney or the coffin.

The real art in your practice is to develop the ‘animal sense’ that will make you sniff an incipient threat on the way home in the ‘air’ so you can evade or counter as necessary.

And also you need to understand that once ‘sniffed’ _ you will have few precious seconds to ‘study the problem as it is presented to you, in the time that you have the time to study it… or you will die in the time that you take calculating your best course of action.
Van
Van Canna

PreviousNext

Return to Van Canna's Self Defense Realities