The Footprints of Kanbun Uechi

The Footprints of Kanbun Uechi magazine articles

Moderator: Bill Bauknecht

emattson

Re: The Footprints of Kanbun Uechi

Post by emattson »

"As a youth his body was honed by farming the rocky soil of Takafuto"

For a long time, I was wondering how nunchucks became popular in martial arts. "Self-Reliance" magazine, spring 2024, has an article written by Everett Lindsey describing ways to grow wheat. After harvesting the wheat, the farmers would use flails to beat wheat lying on the tarp to separate the grain from the straw. A flail looks identical to a nunchuck. Because of Japan's mountainous land, they don't grow much wheat so Kanbun probably never saw a flail growing up. Parts of China has been growing wheat for many centuries; flails may be familiar to them. Perhaps Kanbun saw nunchucks while in China, but he seem to prefer bare-hand fighting.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
Seizan

Post by Seizan »

Okinawa has grown barley, rice, and soybeans for probably hundreds of years. One reference to rice fields and paddies sets the beginnings of such agriculture around pre-1200 (Mid Shell-Mound Era). The northern part of Okinawa is mountainous but there are many flat open areas where rice paddies exist, and mountainous terraces are used to grow other crops.

https://storage.googleapis.com/hippostc ... 66-800.jpg

The above photo shows the gentle type of "mountainous" terrain of northern Okinawa. Nagahama, next door to Zakimi in Yomitan, is on such a "mountain" (actually a low gentle rise common to Okinawa, sloping upward to probably a few hundred meters above sea level).

Even Ie Jima, which many think of as just being a rock in the ocean, has fields and rich soil, and is known for barley, rice, tobacco (relatively recently), soybeans, and more.

Sumako, whose family is from Nago and northern areas, tells me that wheat and corn are more recent additions to Okinawa's crop harvest, but this still illustrates that northern Okinawan soil is rich and soft enough to grow almost anything.

https://visitokinawajapan.com/travel-in ... -ieisland/

When we think of “mountainous area” we usually think Himalayas, Rocky Mountains, the more severe mountains in areas like Equador, central or southern Europe, or continental Asia, and such. The “mountains” of Okinawa are mostly gentle, more like slopes or hills. There are a few real “mountains” that offer climbing challenges, but not many. Most are just gentle upward slopes. The soil is not mostly just rock.

Since the 1960's or so, wheat especially figures into northern Okinawan cuisine. Wheat flour is used almost exclusively for making Okinawan noodles, which are a staple in the Okinawan diet. Soybeans of course are used to make tofu, the protein-rich soybean curd that is used almost daily in all kinds of cooking. And rice, well...

Kanbun would definitely have seen and possibly used flails to separate barley or rice from the chaff. A working farm family wouldn’t do little or nothing most of the year while waiting on the radish harvest, they would likely help their neighbors and friends who grew other crops, or worked in their own fields with grain crops and other root veggies (radishes, potatoes, various squashes and melons, fruits, berries, tea fields, etc.). Farming families on Okinawa help each other, and receive help with their own crops later, too.

In the Izumi vicinity (Motobu) there are not just mountains, rocks, and harsh land that is hard to grow things on, a severe living eked out of rocky soil that yields little... There are rich flat lands and wide fertile fields for growing grains and root vegetables, and paddies are carved onto slopes and gentler mountainsides. As farmers, I believe the Uechi Family did rather well on their own lands (not making much money, but at least growing crops). Apparently they even grew tobacco (at least since after WW2). Kanbun would likely have seen and worked several kinds of crops and worked with many kinds of farming implements including flails (which likely became nunchaku), kama (blades for cutting down sugar cane and other stalks), and bo (which just means "stick" and was used to carry bundles of stalks, water jugs, etc.) not just spending his youth pulling up radishes...

Working on a farm with all kinds of crops coming into harvest at various times of the year, and helping each other out in a farming community, a farm boy could easily grow to be a very strong young man.

By the way, Kanbun Sensei taught nunchaku technique, as well as sai, bo, and possibly other weapons. This is being researched further. Kanejana Seishin Sensei showed us Kanbun Sensei's nunchaku technique, and while it appears to be extremely simple, it is not easy at all and delivers quite direct and dangerous strikes! I have been practicing it for a few years.

Regards and good health,

Seizan
emattson

Post by emattson »

Great information. Appreciate the correction.

Okinawa Island Guide web site has an interesting article on what they grow.
https://www.oki-islandguide.com/cuisine ... wan-nature

Have confirmed that Okinawan grow a wide variety of crops, including wheat.

In according to Healthline:
The staple foods in a traditional Okinawan diet are:
- Vegetables (58–60%): sweet potato (orange and purple), seaweed, kelp, bamboo shoots, daikon radish, bitter melon, cabbage, carrots, Chinese okra, - pumpkin, and green papaya
- Grains (33%): millet, wheat, rice, and noodles
- Soy foods (5%): tofu, miso, natto, and edamame
- Meat and seafood (1–2%): mostly white fish, seafood, and occasional pork — all cuts, including organs
- Other (1%): alcohol, tea, spices, and dashi (broth)
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ok ... ods-to-eat
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
Seizan

Post by Seizan »

Actually, much of my post was extracted from the rough draft of Vol. 4, section titled "Uechi Kanbun’s Farming Environment in his Youth". Included since I posted are extracts from government papers and archeological digs on Okinawa that indicate wheat and other grains have been grown here for many centuries, maybe over a thousand years.

Also included is information about the old Saion Pines surrounding the island's periphery and flood-prone areas on-island, and the tragedy of what became of most of them during WW2. Some still live in the Motobu area.
emattson

Post by emattson »

"Kanbun Uechi grow up surrounded by the beauty of nature and in an atmosphere of spiritual tranquility and peace."

I've spent much time in both the natural environment, deep in the back woods farms and the city. I do admit the peaceful sounds of the forest with watery sound of brooks is wonderful to behold. It's a lot nicer than hearing gangsta rap music, cussing people, and gunshots in the inner city. Still, civilization, with it's creature comfort, is my preference as long as it isn't crowded. Back woods living has many hardships that break people. Funny, looking at modern maps from Google, Takafuto doesn't exists anymore.
Erik

- John Adams
Seizan

Post by Seizan »

Erik,

PM for you...

Seizan
emattson

Post by emattson »

"Kanbun Sensei taught nunchaku technique, as well as sai, bo, and possibly other weapons."

I will love to see your completed research on this. I was assuming that Kanbun taught unarmed fighting techniques because Karate, what he taught, is translated into "empty hand".

"It was decided at this meeting that in future, the standardized form of the word karate would be written using the combination of Chinese characters that read, “empty hand.” This was how it was currently being used by ... Kanbun Uechi ... in his book, Karate Kenkyu, published in 1935. (See Classical Fighting Arts magazine Vol. 2 No 11.)"
https://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.php?t=22936
(Martial Justice)

True, Kanbun was willing to use anything in hand as a weapon. He once bonked a bandit with a washing bowl.
https://forums.uechi-ryu.com/viewtopic.php?t=22936
(Amazing Technique)
Erik

- John Adams
Seizan

Post by Seizan »

I would like to make a slight clarification, please.

"It was decided at this meeting that in future, the standardized form of the word karate would be written using the combination of Chinese characters that read, “empty hand.” This was how it was currently being used by ... Kanbun Uechi ... in his book, Karate Kenkyu, published in 1935. (See Classical Fighting Arts magazine Vol. 2 No 11.)"

It might be misunderstood that Kanbun Sensei wrote a book. He did not; in fact, he could not. He could neither read nor write.

Many will not go to the original post cited to find and read the whole quote. It is:

"This was how it was currently being used by Gichin Funakoshi, and Kanbun Uechi, Kenwa Mabuni,(86) in his book, Karate Kenkyu, published in 1935. (See Classical Fighting Arts magazine Vol. 2 No 11.)"

Gichen Funkakoshi wrote the book, not Uechi Kanbun.

About Kanbun Sensei's weapons expertise, he didn't teach whole weapons forms, only the techniques required for defense. Anyone who trained in the old Futenma Dojo back in the 70's and 80's will recall the tokunoma (large alcove next to the family's Shinto shrine in the dojo) was filled with weapons -- bo, nunchaku, tonfa, sai, more... Apparently weapons were not taught to most students, but they had indeed been used -- they were notched, dented, chipped... I might assume that Kanbun Sensei trained Kanei Sensei in their use.

I think they wouldn't be displayed there in the dojo unless they were being used, or had been taught in the past.

And finally -- another really bothersome question:

Has anyone actually held/seen/read the book allegedly written by Tomoyose Ryuyu Sensei?
Seizan

Post by Seizan »

Another question (OK, a set of related questions...):

Does anyone remember when weapons were taught in the Futenma Dojo (other than using them in attacks for bunkai)?

From (year) to (year)?

Or learned some weapons form while training there?

From whom -- Kanei Sensei himself?

And why Kanei Sensei stopped teaching them?

The answers to those, plus info about Ryuyu Sensei's book, should be enough to keep me happy for a little while.

Maybe.

:)
emattson

Post by emattson »

A bunkai is when a partner perform a predefined attack and the defender perform a specific set of kata (techniques) to block that attack. It is a great way for the student to learn what make the movements effective by analyzing each form. I've watched bunkai in action many times during Chinese Moon festivals where two partners spar each other. It’s almost like a dance, very exciting.

George Mattson’s book, entitled Uechi Ryu Karate Do, has some information on the history. Ryuko Tomoyose, son of Ryuyu, convinced Kanei, son of Kanbun Uechi, to teach karate. Kanei Uechi moved to Futenma, where and taught there. Ryuko and his karate students built a dojo for Kanei in Futenma at 1948. Ryuyu was who convinced Kanbun to start teaching karate to the public. Ryuyu had a wonderful talent of persuasion. George Mattson studied Uechi-Ryu from that dojo from 1957 through 1958.
Erik

- John Adams
Seizan

Post by Seizan »

I will love to see your completed research on this. I was assuming that Kanbun taught unarmed fighting techniques because Karate, what he taught, is translated into "empty hand".

According to Toyama Sensei, Kanbun Sensei defined the term "karate" as meaning "sky hand", not "empty hand". The dictionary definition of "kara" is "empty. But kara is also pronounced "sora" which is "sky". The image this evokes is that of limitlessness -- Kanbun Sensei taught "infinite potential in your hands". This applies to both weaponless fighting technique and use of tools or weapons to "stop the conflict" (Budo). It also implies that most of what we can do in life is "by your own hand". This applies to not just fighting, but building a life, creating a home environment, contributing to the welfare of society, upholding laws, establishing good relationships, and finally, learning to protect and defend all those things.

Meanings and definitions can be very different things...

Beside the previously-asked questions, I am still trying to find the date that Kanbun Sensei decided to begin teaching publicly again.

There are a few stories about why he decided to teach, or how he was "convinced", but none of them agree logically with the facts. I cite them all in Vol. 4 and show why they just don't fit. But the date is important.

It is also important to realize that when there are 2 or more "alternate stories" about who, why, when, where, and how a thing (a "what") was done, chances are good that none of them are the truth. Especially when they all come from sources that stand on their own authority and show no proof, or even evidence. Many tales are like layers of an onion -- you have to peel them all away to get at the heart of the matter.

Key words are "reliable documentation". Not hearsay.
emattson

Post by emattson »

"Does anyone remember when weapons were taught in the Futenma Dojo"

Sensei George Mattson, during his years training at Futenma were never taught with weapons. They use only hands and feet. When he taught at the Boston's Dojo, he never practiced with weapons, teaching with the Uechi-ryu spirit. I don't think any of his books mention how to use weapons. With these, I'm assuming that the Futenma Dojo never use weapons.
Erik

- John Adams
Seizan

Post by Seizan »

Erik,

PM for you.

Seizan
emattson

Post by emattson »

"This applies to not just fighting ..."

Agree that Karate is more than learning how to beat up people; it's a culture. I haven't learned any more than the kata basics. Still, being steeped for all my life in karate philosophy, not religion, may be the primary reason I'm still still healthy, need no medicine. Several friends, some younger than I, some only a few years older than I, are dead, or suffering from severe health problems. The Okinawans regularly stay active, moving around as much as possible. When the pandemic hit and I needed to work at home, I realized that without the exercises from commuting on subways, I'll end up being a couch potato staying home all day. That was when I started my daily walks. Today, I average 1200 steps a day. I'm also starting doing more stretching exercises to try improving my range of motion.
Erik

- John Adams

Return to “Kanbun Uechi”