Robot sparring partner

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

emattson

Robot sparring partner

Post by emattson »

Boston Dynamics had unveiled a new Atlas robot for commercial use. It is entirely powered by electricity. I can imagine if they can bring the price down, the robot can be a perfect sparring partner for practice. He can try out deadly karate strikes without fear of injuries. The robot can measure his kata and accurately critique them. Any thoughts?
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams
richardaik

Re: Robot sparring partner

Post by richardaik »

I will love that massively because sparring in Virtual Reality i can't do leg related work.
emattson

Re: Robot sparring partner

Post by emattson »

Using virtual reality may be the best option for the near future since we already have primitive hardware which can work by tracking both hands and feet. It can buzz certain parts of the body if you make a hit. Some options: are Skywin VR Tracker Belt, Tracker Hand and Feet Strap Bundle for HTC Vive System Tracker Pucks; Sony mocopi 3D Mobile Motion Capture for VR and 3D Content Creation; Rebuff Reality Trackstrap Plus for Vive Ultimate Tracker, Vive Tracker, Tundra Tracker, 20+ Hrs Playtime, Full Body Tracking in VR Chat & Dance Dash. Apple is reportedly still working on full body tracking for Vision Pro so the platform can eventually support fitness apps. Unfortunately, there's no VR standards, making it very hard to code software.
Erik

“Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order.”
- John Adams

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”