Closemindedness & message to lurkers

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Jason Bernard

Post by Jason Bernard »

A definite word that does not describe the usual posters on these boards. Period.

As evidence of this I suggest one need look no further than myself. I am not an Uechika,
I have never been an Uechika, although from what I have learned of Uechi-Ryu it sounds like I would fit in just fine. I do not know a single person on these boards outside my meeting them through these postings. HOWEVER, despite the fact that I have no dealings with them what-so-ever they have always treated me as a valued, and welcome guest and contributer. Why would that be? As Van Canna said, there is an expectation on these boards to act in the manner of a martial artists (i.e. with courtesy and respect) if you can do that then you will be welcome. It has nothing to do with differing ideas. God knows I have disagreed with the people here and they have disagreed with me. It has nothing to do with pecking order ... I don't think a single person on this board knows or cares my rank, or anything about my experience. I know for a fact it has never come up, because it doesn't matter. It has nothing to with style ... I am Kyokushin, most people here are Uechika. Big deal. Who cares. We are people on the same journey. Thats what counts. If anybody comes in here and finds themselves unwelcome we will all know where the fault will lie.

Lurkers, please for the love of god, join in.
If you have something to say and can do with some degree of mutual respect ... step forward and let yourself be heard. This is an open environment for people who can check the ego at the door.

Osu!
Jason
Scott Danziger

Post by Scott Danziger »

Jason,

Well, since it's for the "love of God", I'll join in and share why I usually lurk at these rantings. For one... they serve me no purpose to learn anything. All I see is the rantings and ravings about who's "dissing" who. Like some must walk on eggs to say the appropriate thing so as not to offend. Truth be told, if the so called "outsiders" don't like it - leave! (What I mean by outsiders has nothing to do with the style one takes)

I've observed the ego swelling rantings of both Uechi stylists and other stylists over the years I've been visiting this website. I usually try to ignore it. I'm not learning anything.

Example:
It's one thing to say "I believe the vertical punch in Isshin ryu is better for me because I feel I can deliver it with more power and speed".

And a response to that was...

"Well for me, I like the Uechi shoken because for me, I can deliver it just as fast and the penetration from my well conditioned knuckle is devasting"

But, (if I may be so bold as a kyu to say) the CRAP I read here is...

"You don't know what internal arts are. If you've seen master timbuktu you'd know. Only then would you know. You speak without knowing... ladee freakin' da & etc... In my cyber temple we don't speak of such things, we belong to the house of Sinanju and Shiva will return."

Gee, you'd wonder why people, who have been involved in the arts for so many years may feel a "twinge" of offense to someones air of superiority.

Personally, I commend the way some have attempted to handle these accusations of our so called ignorances and unenlightenment. I would have just said Bite Me! But I don't know any better. I visit these forums to learn, not debate. That's for the seniors to do. But when I see the "debates" turn to personal insults (Airhead remark comes to mind immeadiatly) how can I take the poster seriously. That's what the mouse and scroll bar is for.

I could go on but I'm getting tired of thinking of all the things I want to say.

Scott
Jason Bernard

Post by Jason Bernard »

J.D-san,

You are welcome. As you for you continuing to do what you are doing ... I personally wouldn't have it any other way. Osu!

Scott-san,

I truly understand what you are speaking about. My only hope is that people with good ideas, or something relevent to say feel free to say it, and know that all they need to do is keep themselves civil. I tend to agree with you that the various rants do drag things down a bit but if it keeps these forums from becoming rec.martialarts I am all for it.

Osu!
Jason
Evan Pantazi

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Jason San,

Well stated and absolutely accurate. I myself am not ranked in Uechi, but on the other hand I have met and befriended this marvelous group of people. They are some of the more down to earth Martial Artists I have ever known, (even you J.D. San). Everyone has an opinion and is allowed to state it on this forum and in real life, no matter who you state it to.

To all the Uechi-ka I am honored to share the journey with you!

Evan Pantazi

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”