To the Kenyukai crowd

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

To the Kenyukai crowd

Post by Bill Glasheen »

I wish to go on record as stating that I owe much to the Shinjo family. Their influence on my karate has been unmistakable. David Finkelstein (previously a Uechi instructor of mine) used to visit the Kadena dojo, and would include special exercises from the school. I have had the honor of working out (and partying) with Shinjo Kiyohide several times, thanks to my relationship with Marty Dow. Furthermore, many of my UVa Uechiryu "graduates" have moved to northern Virginia and now work out with Rik Lostrito - an instructor of the Kenyukai. Rik is a gentleman and a fantastic instructor.

The "spirit" of Shinjo Kiyohide is undeniable. The air of the group - from the outside - gives the external appearance of arrogance. It is not. It is quiet, preoccupied confidence. It is the "glare" that was present in the eyes of Shinjo Seiyu. It is the lack of interest in the politics of the outside world. It is the sense that they will move on in spite of the flux. It is the confidence and will to add to an already wonderful system; to dare to be different.

I have used the word "arrogance" to describe INDIVIDUALS in the Kenyukai. But this is not the Kenyukai. Every organization has its personalities. Every organization consists of a collection of UNIQUE individuals. Diversity gives us strength.

I cannot blaspheme what I admire and what is a little piece of myself. I certainly hope nobody misconstrued my words. If they did, it wouldn't be the first time. My Irish Blarney has hurt others before. If I have slighted, I extend my deepest and most sincere apology.

This is an unsolicited post.

Bill Glasheen

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 01-22-99).]
Bill Glasheen

To the Kenyukai crowd

Post by Bill Glasheen »

The reason for this post is because of the piece in "What's New" on January 22nd. I want to make MY position absolutely, unequivocably clear.
JohnRay

To the Kenyukai crowd

Post by JohnRay »

Dr. Glasheen,
I do not know if any of my seniors will respond to your eloquent letter, but I feel that your very well-crafted and inciteful message to members of the Kenyukai deserves a response. I am writing this in no way as representative of the Shinjo family or the Kenyukai organization. I trust that my words, along with yours, may contribute in some small way to easing tensions between people and groups, between whom distrust and harsh words should not exist.
The members of the Kenyukai are students who have a lineage from the Shinjo family and their dojo in Kadena, Okinawa. As such, they have a completely different personal history than the majority of Uechi-ryu practitioners in North America, for whom George Mattson-sensei is the founding father. The Kenyukai group has its own heros, "old timers", and oral traditions. What may come across as "arrogance" is focus on our own training and ignorance of people and events which carry major emotional impact for members of Mattson-sensei's inheritors. We are also separated geographically from the Northeast U.S. center of this huge group, as well as sub-areas in Florida, Michigan, and across Canada.
We are proud of our lineage, from Shinjo Seiro-sensei, Uechi Kanbun's #4 student and founder of the Shinjo karate legacy to his son Shinjo Seiyu, his grandsons Shinjo Kiyohide and Shinjo Narihiro, and his great grandsons, Shinjo Shuichi and Shinjo Kiyohito. We are proud of Takayasu Takemi-sensei in France and Peter Kellogg in Okinawa. Here in America we are proud of Alan Dollar-sensei, Jim Foley-sensei,John Spencer-sensei, Marty Dow-sensei, Ric Lostrito-sensei, and Mike Nazar-sensei down here in Texas.... all different names than those which often appear in these forum messages. And I would add that every name on this list has been defeated... and gotten right back up. I believe that this is a characteristic inherited from Uechi Kanbun.
Finally, I would remind you and any readers that the Shinjo family has been and remains intensely loyal to the Uechi family. Whenever Shinjo Seiyu said "Sensei", we all knew he was referring to Uechi Kanei-sensei, whom he revered.
So, Dr. Glasheen, I hope that I have introduced our group to you and your readers and that you will respect our practice of Uechi-ryu, as we do yours.
Sincerely,
John Ray
RACastanet

To the Kenyukai crowd

Post by RACastanet »

To John Ray sensei et al: I certainly have only the highest regard for the Kenyukai. Glasheen sensei strongly encourages his students to know and understand our sister organizations. I've known Rik Lostrito sensei for about 3 years and he was a member of a test board for my most recent promotions. Also, I've read Dollar sensei's book cover to cover twice, and it is in fact my #1 historical reference.

I hope to maintain contact with the Kenyukai as it adds an important piece to my knowledge of Uechi-ryu.
Best regards, Rich
Scott Danziger

To the Kenyukai crowd

Post by Scott Danziger »

Personally, I think it would be really beneficial to many folks here and in the Kenyukai if more Kenyukai folks participated in these forums. It would be great (totally cool) to get different perspectives, training methods, philosophies, etc from another Uechi group. Same goes for the Shohei folks. It would be different to see Martial Art discusions instead of political babble. I get enough of that in the papers.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Danziger (edited 01-23-99).]
Hutch

To the Kenyukai crowd

Post by Hutch »

To add my 2 cents(Canadian); I was privleged to meet Shinjo Sensei and several of his students and many karateka of his lineage at Alan Dollar's Golden Gate '98 last June when I and several other students from Nova Scotia attended the seminars and tournament. If there are diffrences between the Kenyukai and those of us from Sensei Mattson's lineage, it was not apparent. Their karate and their pride and spirit were exactly what we have come to expect from good Uechi karateka everywhere.

Sensei Mattson and Sensei Maloney were also in attendance and enjoyed a place of honour along with all the Kenyukai seniors from Okinawa and North America. Frankly, I thought the meeting of the karateka from both organizations was seamless. It was impossible to tell the players apart with respect to organization without a program. Our commonality was far more conspicuous than any differences that we may imagine exist.

To the Kenyukai out there, and to all other Uechi karateka, we should make it clear that these forums are about KARATE and they should feel free to jump in and contribute and share freely in the spirit of friendship and learning. That posture has always been an important attribute of our leaders and instructors here in the Northeast and springs from Sensei Mattson's persistence and insistence in focusing on Karate to the detriment of politics.

With respect,
Hutch
moulton

To the Kenyukai crowd

Post by moulton »

JD, With everything I read, it seems we are still walking on broken glass. -- Allen

------------------
web: http://www.uechi-ryu.org email: <A HREF="mailto:uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A>
JohnRay

To the Kenyukai crowd

Post by JohnRay »

Sorry for getting back on this thread so late, but I thought readers might enjoy current photos of three Kenyukai leaders. If you visit my web page at http://people.unt.edu/~djr0001 and click on the Uechi-ryu karate page, I have placed pictures of Kiyohide Shinjo-sensei, his brother, Narihiro Shinjo-sensei, and the current Kenyukai representative in France, Takemi Takayasu-sensei.
Thank you,
John Ray

[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited 02-07-99).]
moulton

To the Kenyukai crowd

Post by moulton »

John, Very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us. Allen

------------------
web: http://www.uechi-ryu.org email: <A HREF="mailto:uechi@ici.net">uechi@ici.net</A>
Bill Glasheen

To the Kenyukai crowd

Post by Bill Glasheen »

John

Thanks for the connection. I added it to my "favorites".

That's a woderful photo of Kiyohide-san! Very professionally done.

Narihiro-san looks much better with the mustache! I last saw him about 13 years ago at an Endicotte college camp.

Bill

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”