teaching question

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Neal

teaching question

Post by Neal »

How do you teach a techinque that you cant see?Such as using the hip to launch a front kick or a round house...Im working with a student after class and I've tried all the bags and such but this seems to be something a person needs to "feel" instead of being shown.I let the student kick me several times and this worked pretty good,I was able to tell the power difference when the kick was done properly and they picked up on it faster too.
Now dont get me wrong... Image...I really love conditioning and all that but there has to be more than one way to help this person.Any suggestions as to something else??
Thanks Neal
Scaramouche

teaching question

Post by Scaramouche »

You might look into getting a set of Thai pads. These are large lozenge-shaped pads that are held by a partner an used as targets. When you hold them you get a great sense of how much power is being used by the kicker, and in what direction the force is coming. They can also be used for any number of drills to build a range of attributes and skills. Thai boxers really focus on the use of the hips (and the whole body), especially when they do roundhouse kicks, and such pads are a training mainstay of their art.

Another option would be a kicking shield, which may not be as good as far as being able to register the blow's power and direction as accurately, but which may be less expensive.

Scaramouche
RACastanet

teaching question

Post by RACastanet »

Neal: Try this exercise Bill Glasheen sensei uses. To work on the hip motion, leave out the actual kick. Raise the knee as if going into a crane, then thrust the knee straight forward. This motion is in Seichin and Seisan katas. Picture grabbing someone by the shoulders and pulling on the shoulders while the knee goes straight into the abdomen, solar plexus or whatever. The hips must move correctly to launch this thrust. All of the motion is horizontal.

We have a nice heavy hanging bag and I have people do this to the bag. After a number of thrusts with the knee, put the kick into the motion and the hips move correctly.

Rich
Raffi Derderian

teaching question

Post by Raffi Derderian »

Neal,
I would like to add to the excellent suggestions already made.
The Thai pads are a must. Another trick to teach the newer student to throw a good round house kick, with the hips into it, is to have them throw a roundhouse knee strike. Don't even have them throw the kick. Let them just stand by the bag,or kicking shield, and throw a roundhouse knee into the side of the target. They will have no choice but to throw their hip into it and pivot their supporting foot.
Hope this helps.
Raffi
JOHN THURSTON

teaching question

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

All the points mentioned are quite good.

Books-Books, I know, I'm always referring to Books. However, the older book "Karate Kicking" by Keith Vitali and "Full Contact Karate" by Jacques Yves Theriault can give you some ideas just by looking at the pictures.

The point made about the Thai Boxing knee strike seems excellent.

Generally, as a teaching point, the knee must be raised higher in chamber than the foot and the point of impact.

After practice, the hips and "standing" foot should release almost at the same moment as the lower part of the leg.

Since the style and the Kata do not show these points, reference to other styles is helpful.

Also, to train for the roundhouse and side thrust, you should consider telling the student to point his "standing" heel almost to the target as he "chambers".

An ideal chamber for the roundhouse or side thrust for training should have the knee higher than the waist.

The roundhouse releases from chamber (which should be almost identical) slightly before and to the outside edge of the target body than does the side thrust.

Perhaps start with a front kick chamber. Raise it higher, pivot on the rear foot as you keep the chamber high------etc...hips turn, release "lower leg"

Now you have essentially taken a front kick chamber, as your hip turns, you have changed it to a roundhouse-side thrust chamber.

If you let your student drop his knee as he chambers-----he may actually hurt his knee and/or hip.

(Wow----that was tough)

JOHN T

------------------
JOHN THURSTON

teaching question

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

PS-

Actually you can see a correct chamber for the two kicks mentioned.

Find it, try it, show it slo-mo.

Thanks for listening.

JOHN T

------------------
JOHN THURSTON

teaching question

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

I would really like to hear if any of the training pointers or suggested material were of help-----just to keep out incentive high.

JOHNT

------------------
Neal

teaching question

Post by Neal »

First off my apologises for not repleying sooner to show my appreciation for the excellent repleys that I recieved on this subject.
The knee strike method has worked the best so far but to do conflicting schedules and the fact that the student has currently dissapeared for 2 weeks (vacation) we havent been able to spend that much time working with it.
The student has the same problem with using the hips to punch as well,but she seems to be grasping this alittle eaiser.Any suggestions on that would be of help too.
We were making good progress though...and then she had to ruin it with taken a vacation! Um,ah....okay,so Im jealous!! Image Thanks again for all the help Neal
RickLiebespach

teaching question

Post by RickLiebespach »

Neal, Just speculation on my part but...for the punch...maybe you could help her (I think you said it's a her), by using a rod. I'd try tying the shoulders to the rod, to eliminate the shoulder's componet. That would leave the back and hip to deliver the strike. (don't forget I'm just a white belt and may not know what I'm talking about)

Rick Liebespach
JOHN THURSTON

teaching question

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Neal:

Allen's input might be helpful here as he sturdied TKD which has a emphasized hip snap with all puncehs delivered in training.

Usually the hip leads the punch and then snaps backs when the punch is delivered.

As Rick pointed out it is important not to have the shoulders in training reach out of their sockets this can lead to injury to the shoulder joint. When you actually are going to hit something that will absorb some of the power you generate, this might be deemed less critical.

If you place your hand on the student's shoulder in Sanchin Thrusting, you should be able to tell if the shoulder is "rising".

JOHNT

------------------

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”