Seichin's 3rd Movement

Uechi-Ryu has 8 kata. Kata is a Japanese word for formal exercise.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Seichin's 3rd Movement

Post by Bill Glasheen »

FOLKS

If you go back to the sei chin kata and then look at the Nai Han Chi bunkai....

Remember how "most" do the kata? The first sequence is a step, pause, block/strike and pronation to tiger claw. The SECOND is block and forearm/wrist movement all at once. Well....consider everything stated above, and the Nai Han Shi application. Imagine someone does a thrusting techniques. You do an INSIDE block, pronate, grab with tiger claw, step in and BAM to the side of head under the ear! Then the two motions together (and their slightly different timings) make sense, no??

Now, picture the Gojushiho application. You do an OUTSIDE block, pronate, grab with tiger claw, step in and spin the person around, wrap the other arm around the neck and CRRRAAACCKKK! Then the two motions together (and their slightly different timings) make sense, no??

Once again, don't freeze any of these motions in one and only one application.

[This message has been edited by Bill Glasheen (edited 03-10-99).]
Evan Pantazi

Seichin's 3rd Movement

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Bill San,

Look again at the NaiHan Chi bunkai, you will notice that I appear to loose balance a bit...That is a foot setup (SP 6) occuring - point 1, as I grab and pull the Gi this stretches the nerve into the neck for the follow to GB 20, The small finger Knuckle is also digging into LI 13 (watch the small things). I have done this particular Ko 3 times.

The hardware I used for the mpegs is called VideOh ($300.00) and its a plug in very easy to use. These clips were videod on a camcorder I own then pluged into the computer. The other KOs where captured from my Uechi Kyusho Videos.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
http://www.erols.com/kyusho
Bill Glasheen

Seichin's 3rd Movement

Post by Bill Glasheen »

Evan

Cool!

OK, now consider that in the seichin kata you do the motion twice, once on each side. Consider the nai han chi application I talked about just above your last post. My first block COULD ALSO be considered a strike to the radial nerve near the wrist. Thus we now have 4 separate stimulation points, no?

Bill
Evan Pantazi

Seichin's 3rd Movement

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Bill San,

Absolutely, the Radial Nerve will set up the Head, heart and Kidney for attack. The motion happening to both sides in Kata represents that it will work equally well on both sides of the opponent. Grabbing the wrist will set up not only the Radial, but Medial and Ulna nerve as well, ahh so many possibilities. This is a great string Suparempi will be tons of fun!

------------------
Evan Pantazi
http://www.erols.com/kyusho
Moe Mensale

Seichin's 3rd Movement

Post by Moe Mensale »

Bill, Evan, The Good Doctor, et al,

Excellent responses! This has turned into an extremely interesting thread based on a somewhat unassuming, relatively simple technique.

I tried the wrist grab with pressure to the knuckle area of the radius/ulna using my thumb in various positions. While I may not have applied it exactly as you described, the technique did bring about substantial facial grimacing on the part of #1 son who "volunteered" to be uke.

Now if I can just get him to hold still whilst I practice the wrist strike to the neck.....

Moe Mensale
JOHN THURSTON

Seichin's 3rd Movement

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Bill et al:

The "Sanseirui Bancai" we learned is clearly to be plaed among the "good" Bunkai, but it is not, to all appearances, particularly 'devastating' in the sense that you mean.

Yonamine Sensei has demonstrated it in the States. The Okikukai group has adopted this (somewhat sanitized?) Bunkai and it is shown in their "Kyuhan" (sp?).

I take your point however.

JOHN T

------------------

Return to “Kata (All about Uechi Kata)”