Depth of understanding

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

Bill Glasheen

Depth of understanding

Post by Bill Glasheen »

One of the clubs where I am teaching is experiencing some "growing pains". It's too small to split up into classes of many different levels, and too big to handle easily at the several rank levels that I partition the classes. And of course there isn't enough of "me" to go around. So this means I use creative ways to get students from many levels to work out together. Most teachers have been there.

Lately I have been using a bit of a game with the rising young bucks (and fawns). As an example, I will assign them to students in sanchin kata, and then I will critique the students they have worked with in front of the class - AS IF I WAS CRITIQUING THEM. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I am doing. I try this with all sorts of techniques that are to be introduced to minnows and guppies in the class.

What I find amazing is how difficult it is for most of them to teach a simple technique or convey a simple concept. I make it a point to show the gap between where they have left the student and where I can bring them with a few corrections and manipulations. Of course I do this to teach them and not to humiliate them. But I am absolutely fascinated by how difficult it is for many people to relate techniques and exercises.

I'm wondering if other people use this "training of a teacher" as a way to deepen a student's understanding of their karate.
Kevin Mackie

Depth of understanding

Post by Kevin Mackie »

It sounds new to me, and is quite a clever training method.

I would believe one would have to be selective about who you set loose upon the new students. What I think is important to note is that each "Student Teacher" has to know " what they know" (if that makes any sense)and always defer to the teacher when in doubt.

Above all, this method affords consistency throughout the Dojo. Too many times I have been corrected differently on the same technique by different seniors. I always end up going back to the teacher for clarification.

Correcting the ST after the exercise would have great benefit. It sounds efficient ( important when you're being pulled all over the Dojo) as it serves to correct at least two students at the same time.

VTY

Kevin
Allen M.

Depth of understanding

Post by Allen M. »

I do, Bill, even though my classes are small. Some can verbalize easily while others not. I think the results are most pronounced for those who have a hard time expressing themselves verbally. <font color=orange>

------------------
Allen - uechi@ici.net - http://www.uechi-ryu.org
Evan Pantazi

Depth of understanding

Post by Evan Pantazi »

Bill San,

This is a great idea and is actually a fantastic way to begin eliminating one of mankinds greatest fears. No not dying or taxes, but that of public speaking (sometimes even one to one conversation). Each student comes in for different reasons, but the majority could always use a boost in their confidence.

I have always mixed classes (I personally teach all 35 classes each week and always looking for new ideas). Thanks I'll use this one.

------------------
Evan Pantazi
http://www.erols.com/kyusho
Cecil

Depth of understanding

Post by Cecil »

I've been through that. It's actually a good way for a teacher to see how well a student understands what they are doing. It was the first time I realized that there is a big difference between being able to do it and being able to get someone else who may want to chat, has a wandering mind, or isn't taking you seriously because you aren't the big chief to learn something. It also teaches patience.

Thank God I don't have to do that every class. However, I've learned that once you gotten to brown belt (2nd kyu), you're drafted by the less senior students into being a tutor.

Cecil

------------------
Email: <A HREF="mailto:creativebrother@yahoo.com">creativebrother@yahoo.com</A>
Web Page: http://creativebrother.freehosting.net

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”