Kobudo Seminar: Yamani Ryu Bojutsu

Free listing of Events, Tournaments, Seminars & Products RELATING to the Martial Arts.

Moderator: gmattson

Hassell

Post by Hassell »

Dear Uechi-ka:

I am pleased to announce a seminar on Okinawan kobudo, where Sensei Kiyoshi Nishime will review the basics, kata, and kumibo techniques of the Yamani Ryu style of bo (staff). Many of you who regularly attend the Uechi Ryu Summer Camp have taken part in the introductory sessions I teach there every year. Here is your opportunity to train with my instructor, who is one of only two Okinawans outside of Okinawa authorized to teach, and award certification in, Yamani Ryu bojutsu.

We will also be training in sai and/or tunfa.

Date: Sunday, April 2, 2000.
Time: 10:00 AM (DST).
Place: The gymnasium at Becker College, Worcester, MA
Fees: $50 before 3/25 and $60 after.

For further information on the seminar or on Yamani Ryu bojutsu, please drop me a line at <A HREF="mailto:arubiano@rcn.com">arubiano@rcn.com</A> .

Regards,
John Hassell

[This message has been edited by Hassell (edited February 25, 2000).]
Hassell

Post by Hassell »

I just wanted to remind you that annual Yamani-Chinen Ryu bojutsu seminar featuring Sensei Kiyoshi Nishime is scheduled for next Sunday, April 2. We plan to start training at around 10:00 AM at the Boutin Student Center, 44 West Street, Worcester, MA.

Yamani-Chinen Ryu bojutsu is arguably one of the most indigenous martial arts of Okinawa and it has had a significant impact on the development of Okinawan martial arts. If you are interested in kobudo, or would like to add to your understanding of the body dynamics and mechanical principles that allowed our seniors in the arts to harness, store and impart energy, I would strongly encourage you to explore Yamani-Chinen Ryu bojutsu and the Okinawan kobudo (and karate) taught by its senior instructors.

Sensei Kiyoshi Nishime has over 45 years of martial arts training and study behind him. He studied Yamani-Chinen Ryu bojutsu under Soke Chogi Kishaba. Soke Kishaba is the only direct and long-time student of Masami Chinen, founder of the style, still teaching it. Sensei Nishime is also a Shorin Ryu karate student of Sensei Chokei Kishaba, the brother of Soke Chogi Kishaba. This pedigree is very evident when you observe him perform kobudo/karate techniques and kata. Sensei doesn't just know about the foundation of his art(s), but these concepts are deeply ingrained in his techniques and exhibited as fluid, elegant power when you watch him perform.

You are cordially invited to join us in welcoming and training with Sensei Nishime. If you have any questions, please drop me a note at <A HREF="mailto:arubiano@rcn.com">arubiano@rcn.com</A> .

Regards,
John

Return to “Events, Products & Services”