DOMINIONLESS

A forum dedicated to the creative expressions, inspirations, hopes and dreams of fellow Karateka.
JohnC

DOMINIONLESS

Post by JohnC »

Well, it's dark and grim and probably bad timing, but here goes:

DOMINIONLESS

He simply let go. One day, the control vanished. A moment in time came and with it a wind with steel claws that dragged dominion from him. Yes, inklings before, of submitting to the unknown. But this day he stood still and let it wash over him without resistance like Niagra Falls. Why? Was it possession by an evil demon? No, he could not say with certainty that it was evil, but then ...Was it sudden insanity that manifested powerfully, perhaps. And yet, this was not it either, no. The only explanation was the stark confession that he let go, he fell into the pit of oblivion, letting the weight of this momentum carry him to hunkered chaos from which he could not escape.

JohnC
Jackie Olsen

DOMINIONLESS

Post by Jackie Olsen »

There cannot be light without darkness ... the shadow must be exposed to the light so that it may be purified and released into the light. Depression is anger turned inward ... suppression/denial often leads to rage.

As he surrendered and let go, did he fall and became absorbed by the darkness, or was he able to go through the shadows, release the power it had over him to find the light on the other side...

Provoking thoughts, John ... thank you

Jackie

[This message has been edited by Jackie Olsen (edited 04-30-99).]
JohnC

DOMINIONLESS

Post by JohnC »

Jackie-san:

This was just a little idea bouncing around in my head. Not real uplifting, but sort of intriguing. What is the spark that leads the jedi knight "to the dark side"? What leads the troubled man to jump off a skyscraper, or the postal worker to unload, or the teen to bomb his school?

It seems that rather than some dramatic trauma, it could be the slightest random thread unraveling that triggers other chains of events. Do we ever feel tempted when looking down from high places to step over the edge ...??

How do we hold on to our "dominion" over ourselves, our minds, our decisions? What gives us gravity in a world of weightlessness. How do we blaze our paths?

Interesting twist you put on this about merging into and then out of the darkness.
Is there another light-filled dimension on the other side of a black hole? What risk is there to yielding to density?

I am happy to hear from you Jackie.

Walk in beauty,
(An old Navajo saying - hozho)

JohnC
JOHN THURSTON

DOMINIONLESS

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Jackie and John:

The philosophy of YIN and YANG and the notion that neither is "evil" but that when the interplay ceases or stagnates, and then real "dis" "ease" results, and the thought that the Left Hand of Darkness is the Light can be a bit comforting.

But sometimes I believe in the Devil still.

JOHN T

------------------
Jackie Olsen

DOMINIONLESS

Post by Jackie Olsen »

JohnC ...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote
How do we hold on to our "dominion" over ourselves, our minds, our decisions? What gives us gravity in a world of weightlessness. How do we blaze our paths?
I think it has much to do with how strong is our Intent (mind) and Will are. We've been taught in martial arts that if there is a weak mind, there is no will and then the chi will be stagnant, dead. If our mind is either chemically or emotionally unstable or out of balance then our will (as in "will to live") is weak. The mind leads the will. Wherever the will is to go the mind must go first and then the chi naturally follows.

Holding our dominion in our world is putting our minds into our one-point, cog (center of gravity), or whatever name you have for it, depending on your philosophy.

There are many ways to lose our space, spirit or dominion. Our minds can be focused on our addictions (food, drugs, alcohol, sex, tv, credit cards ... whatever) ... thus being weak-willed and resulting in the energy going towards the thing are minds are focused on. It takes a tremendous amount of refocusing our intent ....doing a reversal of thinking by saying "no" and then go onto something else ... such as meditating, something physical (walking, Sanchin, sports, yardwork, cleaning etc.)to shift our energy away. The mind must be quieted before the body can become calm.

Our minds can be led by others ... I am reminded of a time when I was a witness in a sexual harrassment case. I realized that both lawyers were trying to "lead my mind" into what they wanted me to say. I literally felt like I was kicked in the stomach and described to my Sensei later that they were trying to steal my hara or center. I had to go three times up on the stand ... I had to continually breathe, sink and imagine I was in Sanchin in order to hold my space. The last testimony was almost 3 hours ... I made it through intact, though felt like I'd been hit by a Mack truck.

After that, I was extremely grateful for my karate and spiritual training. Without it, I'm sure I would have given in or followed the intent of the stronger lawyer ... "No matter if he uses his enormous power to attack me, I use 4 ounces to lead him aside."

Walking through this life in balance and beauty is balancing the ying/yang energies, developing the heart/mind spirit.

Is there another light-filled dimension on the other side of a black hole? What risk is there to yielding to density?
I would like to think that light always follows darkness as hard follows soft (or vice versa). We live in a Universe of polarities, paradoxes, and contradictions.

In yielding, surrendering, letting go ... there is the risk of being absorbed into nothingness... or is it everything? The ego/id fears this. If you rearrange the letters ... is yielding to density our destiny? We yield to become formless?

JOHN T

Yes ... I agree "dis-ease" of the mind (imbalance of yin/yang or male/female energies) leads to dis-ease manifested in the body.

I remember Flip Wilson's(?) remark ... "The Devil made me do it." Or. The Church Lady's ... could it be SATAN?! It is our own nature that keeps us from slipping off the chains and realizing that we have free will.

By the way .. interesting to note that devil spelled backwards is lived ... and I believe Satan spelled backward is natas -- a derivative of nature -- "inherent or innate qualities of something or someone", according to my Dictionary of Word Origins.

------------------
In Beauty,

Jackie

[This message has been edited by Jackie Olsen (edited 05-01-99).]
JOHN THURSTON

DOMINIONLESS

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Very Well expressed.

Yin ang Yang analysis of "situations" and what's the word, 'continuum' and in effectiveness in so do sometimes amazes me.

JOHN T

------------------
JohnC

DOMINIONLESS

Post by JohnC »

Jackie:

Very thoughtful response and post. I have my own philosophy about all of this, but was sort of throwing this out or casting it upon the waters to see what returned. Very shimmering replies!

I too find my martial arts practice a very powerful tool for increasing my mental strength and spiritual energy. For me, I have found nothing that comes close to the natural zen tao high of merging body, mind and spirit into one moment in time. It seems to have an echoing affect that carries into the future.

Particularly, zazen and kata/forms give me something that walking or biking cannot, though they can come close. You can learn to be devoted to the same practice/art that flows from karate into other activity.

Karate forces us to be direct and honest with ourselves and so in turn likewise with our world.

You mention the distraction of others like a high powered attorney who is a convincing actor that can reach down into you and tweak your emotions if you let them! I too am involved in litigation and so can identify with this aspect of things. (John T is in this thread and I believe he himself is a counselor at law!)

I've also dealt with individuals who are disturbed and sensed their black hole negative energy trying to ****** the life out of me.

In all of these situations, your insightful comments are true, we can fall back on our karate, Sanchin, whatever and realize that we can maintain our focus.

Well, I've rambled on enough.

JohnC
JOHN THURSTON

DOMINIONLESS

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Jackie:

I would really like to purchase that book of Word Origins.

Do you think Amazon.com would have it.

Sorry to have been an infrequent visitor. I will try and remedy that.

JOHN T

------------------
Jackie Olsen

DOMINIONLESS

Post by Jackie Olsen »

JohnC,

Thank you for your comments ...

For me, I have found nothing that comes close to the natural zen tao high of merging body, mind and spirit into one moment in time. It seems to have an echoing affect that carries into the future.
How, true ... its like casting a stone into the water. The ripple effect goes out 9 times and then returns to it source.

JOHN T

My "Dictionary of Word Origins" by John Ayto has 8000 word origins (small ... my girl friend has a book that has 20,000 words!) was found in a used bookstore. I understand that there are many others available and am sure you can find one at amazon.com. I also have one of those HUGE dictionaries that traces the root of the word.

I got hooked on looking at words after going to a writer's workshop. We had an exercise to write down one word in describing a situation, person, event, and what we felt about that. Then we had to look up each word and weave a paragraph. According to the presenter, it was a way to tap into the subconscious.

As lawyers or litigators, both of you may be interested in this website, which is a lawyer's view to spirituality and enlightenment. I'd be interested in your opinions:

http://www.lawsofwisdom.com/index.html

------------------
In Beauty,

Jackie
JOHN THURSTON

DOMINIONLESS

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Jackie:

I'm a lawyer, and, unfortunately, I can't say as I know of too many enlightened ones.

I wrote as piece of the evolution of Law based on a sort of Teilhardian (or is it Chardinian?) view and the instructor looked at me as though I had three heads.

Ivy leaguer.

(no offense, standard Jesuit College Boy quip)

I checked three books stores today and found nothing about word origins.

I ran into a book signing, very nice man, Jon Land= "The Pillars of Solomon". On the cover of the book is tha El-Aqsa Mosque. He is writing an adventure novel based on the recoming of the Knights Templar and asked me, in the course of one of my long winded irrelevancies, if I knew anything about them.

MIstake.

I will check the website. Thanks.]

JOHN
JOHN T

------------------
Jacqueline Olsen

DOMINIONLESS

Post by Jacqueline Olsen »

John,

Check out a book search on "Word Origins" at www.amazon.com . The search yielded quite a few books, including the one I have which is now out in paperback. I may even buy another one for reference!

In every walk of life there are the "way show-ers" or "bridgers". A bridger has crossed to the other side thru much hard work, trials and tribulations. He then lays down so that others may walk over, too. Congrats, John, on being one in your chosen profession!

In beauty

Jackie (who is at work and can't find her password!)
JOHN THURSTON

DOMINIONLESS

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Jackie:

It is difficult to be a "nice guy" in a world of "ankle biters".

Thank you for your thoughtful words.

One legimate master did say to a class that I was fortunate to attend, "study martial arts" it may make you a nicer person.

However, in the face of realities, this is not easy at all.

JOHN

------------------
unimportant

DOMINIONLESS

Post by unimportant »

Metta Sutta

This is what should be done
By one who is skilled in goodness,
And who knows the path of peace:
Let them be able and upright,
Straightforward and gentle in speech.
Humble and not conceited,
Contented and easily satisfied.
Unburdened with duties, frugal in their ways.
Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful,
Not proud and demanding in nature.
Let them not do the slightest thing
That the wise would later reprove.
Wishing: In gladness and in safety,
May all beings be at ease.
Whatever living beings there may be;
Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none
The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
The seen and the unseen,
Those living near and far away,
Those born and to-be-born,
May all beings be at ease!

Let none deceive another,
Or despise any being in any state.
Let none through anger or ill-will
Wish harm upon another.
Even as a mother protects with her life
Her child, her only child,
So with a boundless heart
Should one cherish all living beings:
Radiating kindness over the entire world
Spreading upwards to the skies,
And downwards to the depths;
Outwards and unbounded,
Free from hatred and ill-will.
Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down,
Free from drowsiness,
One should sustain this recollection.
This is said to be the sublime abiding.
By not holding to fixed views,
The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
Being freed from all sense desires,
Is not born again into this world.[of suffering]
Jackie Olsen

DOMINIONLESS

Post by Jackie Olsen »

Dear unimportant ...

The original meaning of important was formed from a Latin verb which meant "to carry" or to "bring in." Thank you for sharing your heart-felt message.

Please feel free to post again and identify yourself, if you so choose.

------------------
In Beauty,

Jackie

Return to “Creative Heart & Soul Forum”