Very interesting... Women "listen up"

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Bill B

Post by Bill B »

J.D.
One thing I do not do is go out there and beat a drum about alternative medicine. I DO beat the drum and show people how well I am doing. When I get a call from a place like Wisconsin or Florida from someone just diagnosed with MM, most are scared to death and know nothing. The first thing I do is tell them my story and "Look at me!!!" I've been there, done that. I remember how my talking to someone with the same disease, had gone thru the same treatment, had helped me so much. I have never mentioned alternative medicine to them. I am not one to go overboard with watching my diet, I take calcium and a multi-vitamin and that's it. I try to get as much exercise as I can. When asked about Steve Benson and the results he had with me,,I simply tell them what happened to me. A good while ago, George lent me a magnet belt to try for my back. I tried it but noticed no difference. My wife has pain in her feet, someone suggested magnets, she tried them, they didn't help. Some people respond favorably to some medications, some don't. I think the same way about alternative treatment. I'm sure some get relief because their head tells them it should help, so they feel better. I think the mind heals, maybe in cases such as mine, it heals even though a cure is not there. I know this MM is going to get me, but if I can beat it off with a stick, or a ball bat, well that's what I'm going to do. If for an unknown reason relief can be had through a Steve Benson, that's where I go. Drugs will be needed soon enough and I dread it. So give me a Steve, or a magnet or a acupuncture or ??? If that is the mind working, good. I say do it. By the way, I don't mind these "talks", matter of fact I rather enjoy them. I'm sure you do too. AND everybody knows we can't live forever. I intend getting at least another 40 yrs. or so. Can't stand the thought of George out on the golf course without me.
Bill
Shelly King

Post by Shelly King »

JD-san

It must be sad to live in a world where magic no longer exists. I hurt my knee last week, was in extreme pain. I did the RICE thing plus gulping Advil like candy. I went to my acupunturist. Could barely hobble into the office...walked out with a slight limp. I don't understand how it all works and frankly I don't care, it worked for me and that's good enough.

It must be nice to have all the answers and an unfailing belief in medical science, but for the rest of us...we'll stick with what works for us.

------------------
Shelly
Lori

Post by Lori »

Interesting discussion. I always enjoy watching Doctor X go off on his science frenzy... (switch to decaf my friend)

The debate and the discussion is good - exposing strengths and weaknesses on both sides, and challenging one to found their beliefs on information instead of influence or prejudiced belief systems (yes - JD - you are prejudiced as well - we all are by the sum of our experiences - your experience happens to be steeped in "scientific method" - yet there IS hope for you because you actually comprehend good literature...)

It all seems to boil down to the concept of energy. Personal belief, case studies, anecdotes - whatever - bottom line for the individual is their own response to any given treatment - regardless of what can be proven or repeated in a case study. If something helps someone - then good. And if there is a response to every conventional treatment - positive or adverse or unmeasurable - then the same must go for alternative.

Here's my opinion - we are all comprised of empty space anyway. (The energy between the atoms - a la Max Planck and quantum physics - but I'm not going to get further into that) Each individual's construction is unique - and our response to ANY given treatment will be influenced by our own individual make up - or energy. (No, I'm not going on a "chi" tangent either.) This energy thing is science. We have molecules - atoms - and between those, energy. The uniqueness of each person's phsyiological, genetic, mental (are brains are pathways for energy are they not?) and emotional make up will determine our state of health, our succeptiblity to disease, our life span, and many other things. Again, that is science. Science does not however explain fully how this happens. But science does admit the influence of these factors on a given treatment. In my opinion - this determines also the effectiveness of certain "alternative" treatments - but it all again comes down to energy. If ANY treatment - medications, psychiatric treatment, accupuncture, massage, surgery - successfully "repairs" an energy deficiency in an individual, their state of health improves. (aside: there are still "bogus" treatments on both sides of the fence - and I do not advocate blindly trying any and every proposed treatment that comes along - once again we must become informed consumers of everything - including that which affects our health.)

The effect of energy seems to be the first concept that successfully trancends all barriers to discussions about health and influences upon the same. Energy is an accepted factor in science, religion, alternative medicine, and more. The fact that it is difficult to demonstrate scientific method with some treatments utilizing energy work is beyond the point. Science has always sought to explain the unexplainable - much like religion. Science chooses to demonstrate with replicable experiments. Religion takes it on faith. Science has occasionally proven many things that were originally taken on faith. Perhaps the same will result in the field of energy healing. Perhaps some things will remain out of the boundaries of finite human understanding.

Until then - I will continue to explore the field of energy healing - for my own collection of personal "anecdotes" show amazing results, increased levels of health, and therefore, I'll keep using it for myself and my family.

Peace and positive energy,
Lori
1st degree Reiki practitioner

[This message has been edited by Lori (edited 11-12-99).]
Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

Dr. X,
Oh boy, I almost had you?? What a feat. Please go back to your last post. I did not say there was no reaction to drugs, I said some do not have "Favorable" reactions. As I'm sure you know that some people react negatively to certain meds. Does that also mean that these drugs are useless, a waste of time?? My father was allergic to penicilin, nearly killed him, but over the years, for one reason or another, it bailed me out. Maybe he was allergic to magnets too, who knows??
Bill
Mary S

Post by Mary S »

Lori-san...I have a friend who does Reiki treatment and I find the results fascinating (first hand experience!!). How long have you been studying the art?

JD-san I loved your Robert Frost quote.

------------------
Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

All this good discussion has come from the post about a "stinkin" bottle of anti perspirant. Neat.
Bill
Lori

Post by Lori »

Hi Mary-san - I've been studying/practicing Reiki for a little over two years, and other methods of energy healing for about 8 years.
Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

Dr. X,
"You admit magnets had no effect in your cases. Should the negative results be just as valid as positive anecdotes."
My point being, you must admit that in some cases drugs have unfavorable effects as well. "Should the negative results be just as valid as positive anecdotes?"
Bill B.
Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

Dr. X,

Sometimes I would think that the best test results come from the patients who have taken the "test". Why do all test have to be done in a clinic??. Only to be recognized by the scientist, who has been trained to travel down a one way street? And I might ask, who determines what is and what is not a clinic?? I say the seminar where Steve Benson helped me, and others, is a clinic. The fact is, he was successful with me. I don't particularly care how or why. If I take an Excedrin for a headache, I just want to get rid of the headache, dont care what makes it work. Of course the "clinic" can tell me the process and why, if I really cared. So with a Steve we cant explain it, I can't, you can't, Steve can't. All I know is it worked. I don't need a clinical evaluation. My doctors at New England Medical Center in Boston know something helped me and I did not have to take their pain medicine. That's REAL stuff.
Bill
Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

Dr. X
At last we agree on something. My ignorance,,,,and yours.
Bill
Bill B.

Post by Bill B. »

I have always thought that anyone with resonable intelligence can learn most anything out of a book. It may take some longer than others but usually each with the same interest will finish that book. One thing that can not be learned is common sense. That is one of the main problems with our society today, no common sense. Education is a wonderful thing and I think one should pursue whatever becomes available to them. I chose the military right out of high school. So except for my special training in the service, high school was the extent of my formal education. Over the years I was still able to accomplish my goals. I attribute that to being myself. I think Bill B. is an honest, fair, level headed guy who respects most, and has let my common sense guide me. Been married to the same woman for 41 yrs., have not been too bad a husband and a fairly good father. Good write up HUH?? Well let me tell you too that I am the first one to admit I can be a real a h-le, a nasty s.o.b. and will also admit to most mistakes. There have been very few I might add <S>, the worse being letting George Mattson beat me in golf. That has not been very often so I seldom have to admit it. Sit down sometime and evaluate your own life. What do you find there, are you satisfied?? Are there things you would like to improve on?? Do it now. One good thing that has come out of my illness, made me realize some of the things I have missed. The things that haven't been appreciated so much. Love your family, love your friends, let them know it. Enjoy life NOW!!! Before you can take the second blink, it's gone. Wise up people!!
Bill

Return to “Special Needs”