Day of the living dead

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Ron G

Day of the living dead

Post by Ron G »

Bill and Allen, First Allen, I will try to find some info which is related to your needs. I would like to hear what TC is unless you have to kill me after you tell me, ha ha. Hey compared to what I have heard from you guys I feel guilty for doing so well.
Bill I searched for a site which I have recommended to many I have known with cancer. I do this so they can see what the mind can do. Dr Day is a well known surgeon who worked in San Francisco Hospital and blew the lid off aids, she left her job due to risk of getting it while performing surgery. She developed Breast cancer (see the pictures) which she cured with visualization. She does talk about religion but I have found that the same process seems to works if your religious or not is the proper mental set is used. If you are religious use that mode if not use pure mind. This is the same info I would recommend to a family loved one if it were necessary. I also am not pushing Dr. Day, my purpose is to show what the mind is capable of. One other issue is she chose to discontinue her medical treatment and I would not want to recommend that. If anything I believe it could be used together. I have two tapes I would be happy to make you a copy of (one by a guy who beat liver cancer after they gave him 3 months), all I have to do is find them. I moved to the mountains to live happy ever after, after a few days my five year old dog died suddenly (the one that I trained to help me up from the floor or chair when I was paralyzed) that nearly crushed me, I wanted to die myself. Then I found out some of us with a spinal injury can not take the cold. I don't shiver I shake fairly violently, looks funny but we just laugh about it. So, I'm renting a room from a friend until warmer weather is here, those tapes are up there and I will go up soon for a visit. If you would like I will find them.
Hope this helps, RG http://www.drday.com/
Ron G

Day of the living dead

Post by Ron G »

Bill and Allen, First Allen, I will try to find some info which is related to your needs. I would like to hear what TC is unless you have to kill me after you tell me, ha ha. Hey compared to what I have heard from you guys I feel guilty for doing so well.
Bill I searched for a site which I have recommended to many I have known with cancer. I do this so they can see what the mind can do. Dr Day is a well known surgeon who worked in San Francisco Hospital and blew the lid off aids, she left her job due to risk of getting it while performing surgery. She developed Breast cancer (see the pictures) which she cured with visualization. She does talk about religion but I have found that the same process seems to works if your religious or not if the proper mental set is used. If you are religious use that mode if not use pure mind. This is the same info I would recommend to a family loved one if it were necessary. I also am not pushing Dr. Day, my purpose is to show what the mind is capable of. One other issue is she chose to discontinue her medical treatment and I would not want to recommend that. If anything I believe it could be used together. I have two tapes I would be happy to make you a copy of (one by a guy who beat liver cancer after they gave him 3 months), all I have to do is find them. I moved to the mountains to live happy ever after, after a few days my five year old dog died suddenly (the one that I trained to help me up from the floor or chair when I was paralyzed) that nearly crushed me, I wanted to die myself. Then I found out some of us with a spinal injury can not take the cold. I don't shiver I shake fairly violently, looks funny but we just laugh about it. So, I'm renting a room from a friend until warmer weather is here, those tapes are up there and I will go up soon for a visit. If you would like I will find them.
Hope this helps, RG http://www.drday.com/
Allen M.

Day of the living dead

Post by Allen M. »

Hello Bill. If anytime you want to get together, day or night to do kata, just give me a call and I'll make the trip.

YOU are my model for survival, my model of sheer internal power and intestinal fortitude. "...harder than mine..." is a relative term because I feel likewise about you. We each have out own cat's apostrophy and are dealing with it as best we can and function a normal [what is normal anymore] life as often as possible and enjoy it when those opportunities persist. All I know is that I'm "me" and it is in my makeup, my instinct, to fight. The same as it is in yours and Ron's too. I don't need to discuss the pain thing, Bill. However, 20 years is a long time to be trapped inside a useless crippled body from which there is no escape [THIS is my pain, for I will never accept my lot] and it continually wears on me and sometimes even gets me down for a brief time. Then, people like you, Lori, and now Ron pop to the surface and just by their presence, things are ok again; sort of an analgesic -- and a good one.

These maladies of human life are things which healthy young people do not know about, do not understand nor even care to listen to. So we don't usually talk about them, rather the finer and funner things in life whenever we can.

Ron, when they operated on you, did they fuse or remove anything? Sometimes people walk away from those things with only a stiff neck (from fusion) and others remain paraplegic for life. Please tell us more about YOU; where you are on your journey. Please tell us about the specifics of your injury, your trials and tribulations, and your story of success. You are such a newcomer to the club it may be difficult to express it verbally or written. I know that for me, I couldn't talk about "it" for well over ten years after the accident, now I do to help others.

The "TC", Ron, is short for "Torture Chamber." At the original location as originally practiced, it was a 3-hour total abandonment of the self with complete immersion of mind, body, and spirit into the most difficult, painful practice of kata I have ever experienced in my 30 some-odd years of doing martial arts anywhere in the U.S.A. It is still an ordeal, but with shortened class times, the newbies don't know what they are missing [and don't want to know, either].

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
Ron G

Day of the living dead

Post by Ron G »

Hi Allen and Bill, Hope all is well. Allen I learned a long time ago to talk as if you hold it in it does more damage. As I age I can talk about anything at any time (except I do
choke up when I remember my dog, but I still talk about it) and it makes me feel
better. Why do you have to get so old before we learn life's lessons when we try to pass it to the younger ones they are not ready. Just like you said until you,
yourself have a serious injury or illness do you really understand how frail and fragile
life can be. I slipped and fell in a wet garage that I was washing out. I usually wore my boots but it was a hot day and the water felt good so I went barefooted. It was like being on grease and my feet went straight up and I landed on my neck. It sounded like
dropping a watermelon about 6 feet onto cement. I laid on the ground and watched my arms curl in and they moved like they had a life of there own, but I had no control.
I felt all wet and didn't know if I was bleeding or not, but my neck took
the blunt of it and I was scraped up but not cut. With my neck and head I maneuvered over to the phone (it was ringing, I couldn't get to it as it was 4 ft of the ground),
a little spastic movement came back to my left leg. After about 10 minutes I
pulled the phone down and my leg quit. I pushed the button to get the dial tone and the O for the operator with my tongue. I said, "I have fallen, am paralyzed and need an ambulance", she replied, "sir, why didn't you call 911". After I said
some nasty words I could hear the siren about 5 minutes later, then I remembered my 140 pound rottweiler (the one who died) was there with me so I ordered him
out back and with my head and neck rolled about 30 ft down the driveway to my
closed gate to get the distance so they would not have to shoot my dog. When they arrived I warned them and they got the garage door down just as he jumped against it.
Since my spinal cord was damaged no one heard my calls for help as
my breath was shallow and there was no force to yell and I could not be heard.
This is getting long and I don't know if people really want to hear this story but if you want to hear any more I will be glad to share.
See you later, RG

[This message has been edited by Ron G (edited March 03, 2001).]
Allen M.

Day of the living dead

Post by Allen M. »

I held off responding to your question of revealing more about your accidente because I was hopeful that there might be other interested parties contributing, not out of disinterest, Ron.

I am interested in reading more about your tragic accident. Survival words are always inspiring and helpful. Please continue.

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
student

Day of the living dead

Post by student »

Ron:

Yes, there are more of us who will gladly read your words. Pain and sorrow shared are pain and sorrow diminished.

student
Bill B.

Day of the living dead

Post by Bill B. »

Allen I had mentioned I might call Art to see when he is going up for a workout. I haven't heard from Boston yet, waiting to hear if there is any more spread and also the condition of the bones. I am thinking maybe, if the test come back without too much further damage, of finding out if Art, Van and the others would let me gi up and maybe I can try some slow, light kata in a corner somewhere. If so, how about if possible, we get together there. I wouldn't want to interfere with their workout and I know I have to do even kata with no power and of course we both fight the speed and getting into deep stances and such. I miss the work outs more than anything. I feel like I will have to borrow someone's green belt. Will let you know what NEMC says, I expect some results in the next week or so. They not only look for new places but also compare every bone with the last test. Will keep you advised.
Bill
Allen M.

Day of the living dead

Post by Allen M. »

I'm game
Bill B.

Day of the living dead

Post by Bill B. »

Hi Ron,
Thank you for the offer of cancer sites and tapes. I must say that I have stopped going to the cancer sites, I was involved in helping other cancer patients, also registered with the Internation Multiple Myeloma Foundation. New myeloma patients would call me on the phone and use the e mail and I tried to help in any way I could. Same way with the Bone Marrow Transplant groups. I could always use myself as an example, been there, done that and look at me, doing fantastic. Then a bit over a year ago I relapsed, got more radiation and went on Thalidomide. I was reluctant to talk to people since I had relapsed, didn't want to depress them. I still get calls and do what I can. As far as the tapes are concerned, I really don't know. I do not read any of the updates on MM anymore mainly because there is very little change, the average survival after diagnosis is still the same. I don't need to read that. I have been in pretty good shape mentally for the 5 years of fighting this thing. Going through all the intense radiation, chemo, BMT, I have tried to avoid depression and just concentrate on the fight. Whenever I read about cancer it just brings it up to the front again. I know it's there, go to bed with it, wake up with it, I feel the deterioration and I know what's coming. BUT, I don't dwell on it. I do what I can do and pretty well keep myself occupied with other stuff. I really appreciate your offer, I thank you, but if you get me the tapes, it is very doubtful I will listen to them, at least not at this time. Who knows if there will be a change. I do not need to read or listen to the "How to prepare to die" type thing. I have taken care of my affairs, did that long ago. When the end gets near, well, who knows, I might crap my pants and go to pieces. I don't know. But right now I feel like going on another 10 years and damnit, they are going to be good ones. If it's only 1 year or 1 month, or if I get run over by a truck, hopefully I'll have a golf club in my hand. Have I made any sense? It's hard to express how I feel about this subject. Maybe it's better if I say, there is nothing wrong with me and same as everybody else, it's one day at a time anyway. LIVE IT UP!!, but THANK YOU. Please contine to visit us here and one day, maybe I'll ask you for those tapes.
Bill
Ron G

Day of the living dead

Post by Ron G »

Hey guys, I thought my computer died. Allen, you asked about the operation, I will keep it short. They fused C3 & C4 with cadaver bone (which seems repulsive, but it has worked), when my girlfriend arrived at the hospital, they told her I would probably be a para or quad. I am thankful that the steroid treatments were available or that may have been true. They did the work in a trauma center and then 8 days in rehab., where I roughly began to take some steps but my hands barely worked and my legs even less. I had to walk with a cane on a small obstacle course before going home. When my feet touched the grass I felt them center (from previous Tai Chi) and I told the nurse "you won't believe this but I just felt 30% come back". She didn't believe me but I handed her my cane and struggled through the course. I did enjoy the look on her face. I was then turned over to my HMO Kaiser and I must say they "******" when it comes to serious injury and I really think they wish I would die. I have received no benefit from them in 2 1/2 yrs, and turned to the Net and Martial Arts for help. I am walking pretty well but my energy drops and I have some strange energy type reactions I would like to ask you about next time. Bill, did you get a chance to look at that website I told you about. You didn't say anything but please think about "visualization", it can help. If you have any questions, ask. Looks like you are enjoying that new house, we seen to always be taking care of others (kids, jobs etc.), but I think it is time that we enjoy life for ourselves. Allen, you have been quiet, how is the pain control doing? A friend of mine had a car roll over him as a young boy and has been in a wheel chair all of his life. He learned Kung Fu (same Art as me) and became a Master, he is a very good fighter. Maybe you have seen him as he demos for many groups, his name is Ron Scanlan.
Be good, RG

[This message has been edited by Ron G (edited March 10, 2001).]
Ron G

Day of the living dead

Post by Ron G »

Hey Bill, Your post came up just as I was rereading mine. I see from your post that what I was talking about is not what you may have understood. What I am talking about is a very positive thing, you do not dwell or even think about the "c" word.
You visualize total health and healthy parts as to not give credence to the problem. Since the sub-conscious does not separate truth from fantasy it goes about
creating a healthy state. If I can explain more I will and if you want me to shut up I
will, but it has worked for many, so called " hopeless cases", which I don't think you are. Just Doctors talk that way and if we listen they may kill us.

Keep up the fight, RG

[This message has been edited by Ron G (edited March 10, 2001).]
Ron G

Day of the living dead

Post by Ron G »

Bill, I felt that way when I lost a previous Rottie, then I got the other one and thought he could never take the first ones place, which he could not. He did make a new place in my heart and when he died I had to make room for the next one. If I did not move on I would have never met my next "Best Friend". They have found people live and stay healthier longer when they share their life with a pet.
When there is a special occasion and people have something to look forward to they are able to stay healthy, so why don't you pick a date, say 2049 and plan for a big party. When you are by yourself and completely relaxed, close your eyes and listen to your breath (which is very relaxing) and visualize the parts of the body which the doctor told you have been damaged. Go through one by one each day or do a different one each day and see it as totally healthy. See how white and healthy the bones look, do not let any other picture come in. If it does see it and let it go, then return to the healthy view and pretty soon the others won't come back. When you visualize think about sending a warm healing glow to that area until you can feel it. You know about Chi, when you send Mind to the area the Chi will follow. Let the healing begin and do it 10 to 15 minutes a day. What do you have to lose "JUST DO IT".

[This message has been edited by Ron G (edited March 11, 2001).]
Bill B.

Day of the living dead

Post by Bill B. »

Ron, one thing for sure, you will never hear me tell you to shut up. I think maybe I did misunderstand the nature of the tapes you refer to. Positive I believe in. I lost a friend to myeloma, he was diagnosed around 6 months before me, I didn't even know it, hadn't seen him for a good while. He had a transplant 4 months before me, relapsed after 2 years, lived 4 months. I relapsed after 3 yrs, 1 yr. 3 months ago. Hopefully when these test results come through, they will be positive. Point is, my friend's myeloma was not involved as badly as mine. He just never could accept it, depressed all the time, no matter what I tried to do he just would mostly craw in a hole. He was in better shape than me for awhile but then he just slid downhill quickly and lost it. So I know what the mind can do. As Harvey said to me, if you are told you have 6 months to live and that's how you think and live, you will have 6 months. One other thing you mentioned that I agree with 100%, talk about it. I talk about anything, I answer any questions. No one should hold it in.
So sorry about your dog. Our Rottie died at 5 years old, cancer. Everyone who knew that dog cried when she died. My mother passed away 1 1/2 yrs ago. I inherited her little dog and just had to have her put down. She was a 15 yr. old lasso apso, (or something like that). All my life I have had dogs, being a farm boy, had all animals and loved them. My kids are the same way. BUT, I will not be getting any more, no more dogs. You get too attached to them. I have lost too many of my family.
Best,
Bill
Bill B.

Day of the living dead

Post by Bill B. »

Thanks Ron, I understand what you are saying. I use to get really bad headaches and would relax, close my eyes and picture something sticking in my head causing the pain. I would concentrate on slowly drawing that something until it was pulled out. I must admit excedrin and a cold rag worked better. lol. Just pulling your leg. I believe in mind control and how it can help your body. I truthfully believe that I am still alive today because my mind has been able to fight off enough of the disease to keep me kicking. Every day is a new day, if one let's evil take over, you slip back two days. I will try to repair the damage. Like patching a hole in an old tube, right?? lol. Thanks,
Bill
gmattson
Site Admin

Day of the living dead

Post by gmattson »

Bill:
You may have mentioned it earlier, but I remember your telling me about the "mind kata" you performed during one particularly bad stay in the hospital.

I wonder if this is the same kind of positive thinking Ron is talking about. Your experience was more taking your mind off your body while forcing your mind to recall physical movements of karate, whereas Ron recommends focusing on the pain.

------------------
GEM

Return to “Special Needs”