I've joined you on the Cape!

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Good to hear from you Steve! Hope the move went well. How do you like living among the "rich and famous"?

------------------
GEM
billb366

Post by billb366 »

Hi Steve,
Where did you move to?? I am a bit under the weather right now but hopefully in a week or maybe two will be able to do SOMETHING other than lay around all day. I have a key to the old dojo and maybe we can set something up. Maybe I can get Art to join us. And George, where the heck are the rich and famous other than Hyannisport where the whatchamacallems live? Image
f.Channell

Post by f.Channell »

Steve,
A co-worker of mine has a brother who has a small judo/jujitsu club down there somewhere.
He's a sandan in judo and has been training since 1963, been meaning to visit myself.
Let me know if you want more info. Of course after several days of Uechi.
fred
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Bill - I've just moved to the Cape and am in your general vicinity. I'll still "commute" to the Hut every Saturday for GEM's class, but could use someone to put me through the paces during the week. Please let me know if you're interested....

Best regards, Steve

------------------
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

Bill,

Remember to chip away the ice first Image

------------------
Allen Moulton from Uechi-ryu Etcetera
billb366

Post by billb366 »

Hey Allen, the ocean keeps us nice and warm here. If it gets so cold that we get ice, it DOES get cold. High teens in the winter right here is cold. You can have those freezes.
Bill -)
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

I'm still shivvverrrrring from the last workout at that frozen-floored dojo. Image

Steve, be wary. You don't know what you're getting into. Bring a pocket warmer with you and wear a pair of electric socks. Image

Yeah, right, Bill. "The ocean keeps us warm." It's that raw wind off the surface of those blustery whitecaps which carries the icicle-filled chills that penetrate deep down. However, good olde fashioned New England Cape codder hospitality and friendship warms the heart to drive any chill out.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Sorry for the delay in response - we've moved to East Sandwich. Great location, but about 20 years behind the internet curve. After five years of having a cable modem, and now living in a location with no DSL or cable modem availability, I'm going through Internet withdrawals. I'm essentially limited to checking Uechi-ryu.com when I'm at work.

Bill - I'm just north of you and living on a tidal river north of Rt. 6a. Strippers, blues and sea run brown trout swimming by daily - and not one of them stupid enough to hit my lure. Thanks for the offer - and when you're up to it, I'll take you up on it. My e-mail address is swhite@umassd.edu - or you can get my new phone number from GEM.

GEM - I miss being "right next door" to you and will be calling this week to touch base. Still planning on Saturday's at the Hut - but have to finish the move. Still some small things at the old house - mostly old textbooks, etc. Brought my signed Uechi books with me during the first load!

Fred - always interested in grappling!!! Come on down and we'll go together. BTW from an post on another forum - I've moved further away from Uechi civilization and my only hope is to get Bill or Art interested in kicking my a@@ once a week or so.

Allen - you're going to have to fill me in on the good dive sites around the area. And if you have any hints on how to catch any of the fish in the river in my back yard, I can certainly use your help!!!

[This message has been edited by Steve (edited November 05, 2001).]
billb366

Post by billb366 »

Hi Steve,
Well you sure are not far from me, I live in East Falmouth. I hate to report in like this, but I received some bad news today. After fighting a couple infections recently, I had an appointment in Boston today. My test are showing that I have some cancer activity again. It's the myeloma, it just doesn't give up. First thing is trying some meds I have been on before, small doses because it caused nerve damage before. If that doesn't hold things down, since I can not have any more radiation, it's chemo again. After the chemo becomes ineffective, the disease just takes it's course. What reaction the meds will have this time or what is down the line, I don't know. I have been waiting for this hammer to fall for a good while so it was not a surprise, especially with the other problems suddenly showing up. We will continue to fight it, but I'm afraid any help I could have given you in Uechi is, I'll say, delayed. So sorry about this, I really looked forward to our getting together. If I luck in and the meds help, you may see me over the dojo. In the meantime, I will email you Art's phone number. Regardless, I wish you the best and hope that your moving to the Cape is an enjoyable one.
Bill
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

There's a dive shop near one of the rotaries on the mainland side. Not sure if it's by the Sagamore or the Bourne. Just stay out of the canal Image

Best place ever I found for lobstering was under the thermocline at the end of the cape. You need a 4x4 to cross the duned to get there. I used to get bags full of them.

The best place for spearfishing is still in the rocks off Newport and at the end of the breakwater at Jericho.

I'll get some local knowledge for you on where popular diving places are these days if the secrets are to be shared when my contact comes back from Korea.

Bill knows the best places to go fishing.

Have they ever brought phone and electricity into the Cape yet?

------------------
Van Canna

Post by Van Canna »

Bill,

So sorry to hear about the news. But all we can hope for in this life is to put up a good fight, win or lose.

I know you will keep on fighting no matter what, and God and luck will be on your side as it has always been.

Please keep us posted, and never give up.

We are all pulling for you.

------------------
Van Canna
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks Allen! I have a 4x4 truck and love lobster.

Bill - I'm just a couple of minutes away. Please feel free to call on me if you need anything. I'm more than glad to help out.

Looking forward to working out with you once you clear this latest hurdle. Best regards, Steve
Allen M.

Post by Allen M. »

I suspect I might be able to rustle-up an old salt to show you a few spots on the Cape. Give me a few weeks to work on it.

------------------

Return to “Special Needs”