Is it Time Yet?

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

Is it Time Yet?

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Well:

I an earlier post we discussed the revitalization of the notion of 'the unorganized militia".

Curiously enough there are now two disparate threads of law on the subject as it relates to the right to keep and bear arms set forth in the Second Amendment to the Consitutution.

There is a Texas Case which clearly state that the right to Keep and Bear Arms adheres to the individual and not to the governor's of the various states.

The is a Massachussetts SJC (Sumpreme Judicial Court) case which rules directly the opposite and now there is apparently a California District Court (Federal) which holds similarly to the Massachussetts case.

What the Bush Justice department intends to do about the latter case is a real question.

As a pracitical matter, I don't think any Massachusetts Lower Court Judge (other than Federal) would hold differently than the SJC.

Be that as it may the Federal Statute, like the Posse Comitatus and bail bond federal law still reminds us that we are all members of the "unorgagnized militia" like it or not.

Curiously enough it was soon after Pancho Villa's attack on the town of Columbia Texas in 1916 which caused the Federal Government to take the position that the voluntary militias of the time were not adequate, and from that flowed the power of the Federal Government to 'federalize' National Guard Units, and the older State Militia's were disbanded.

So, where exactly does that leave us. The governemt says "to keep your eyes open" and such like.

I think that the notion of an unorganized militia should be revitalized. Those with prior military experience, the proper permits and vbackground checks should be allowed to consider themselves part of a nationwide posse comitatus and an air or transport Deputy Marshal for the duration.

Each such person should duly register himself and present his credentials and stand ready to react to what he might see, or to any calls from whomever the local militia commander (the Chiefs of Police would best fill this role i think).

This happened to me in a way in 1978 when all 4 wheel drive vehicle owner were called up to evacuate those elderly or otherwise immobile persons from the affected area of the Storm to safer areas. Drivers were accompanied by a National Guard trooper when available.

Why this system cannot work when we are clearly engaged in a very unconventional war I do not understand.

JT
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Glad to see you're back JT. Hope these times find you in good health and the holidays are good to you as well.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

JT: Good to see you on the forums. I'm definitely part of the 'well 'regulated' (by the way, regulated in the 18th century context means 'practiced) militia. I'm still trying to find a way to get that Marine commission so I can be more than a part timer.

By the way, I got the 'Band of Brothers' DVD set for Christmas and am beginning the second run tonight. It is great!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Rich in Richmond
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

Happy New Year all.

Roger, Willco, Over, and Out! :D
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
JOHN THURSTON

Hi Guys

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Good to hear from y'all.

The FMS that I have and the "refinance Booom" sometimes drains me pretty well.

The New Dojo in Norwell (Norwell Karate School) is quite a change for us, but it is a lot more work.

I think the point about an unorganized but "vetted" militia was made to me by a pilot who said: "once you are on board, you in the back are on your own. Our first goal is no longer the saftey of the passengers, but to prevent the airplane being used as a weapon"

So----damn right i'd like to be listed as an air marshall!!!

Even the killing of passengers is NOT going to get the crew to "open up" the cockpit. As a habitual passenger, this bothers me.

j
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”