How do we enter quotes

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Alan K

How do we enter quotes

Post by Alan K »

I notice when I attempt to use quote marks in text, some gobbloy wobly symbols appear

I am a poor technician with compters and work mainly with Microsoft word.

Also the Internet Explorer top bar does not have an edit or copy mode, and I have to use control V to post a thread.

Please advise,

Alan K
"The Goddess of Justice is Blind"
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

The end of thid paragraph contains a quoted word typed directly into the forum's editor. Too bad it no longer has a spell checker. "Quote"

I think I already know where the problem may source itself from.

Microsoft uses "soft" quotes, not the standard ASCII quote, meaning the quote that resides on your keyboard. This means that an opening quote is quite different from a closing quote. Look at your Microsoft Word text on screen and from the printer if it does the software translation.

I don't have word on this machine but I'll fire up the other one and see what it does.

You can instruct Word to either use or not use the soft quotes.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

This is a “quote” from Microsoft using “soft” quotes.

OOPS... That took care of that suggestion.

I wrote using Microsoft Word on another machine, imported it into "Word Pad" on this machine and the quotes look quite good.

Before I load a Microsoft product on this machine, Alan, which version of Word are you using? You CAN turn off soft quotes and try it anyway.

Test to see if I can edit this from multiple machines at the same time. Simultaneously hitting submit keys on two machines. This one is from the black machine. and is slower
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”