Building a PC

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

If that's the same monitor I gave you last year, George, one can buy a brand spanking new one like that for not much more than the cost to ship it to Florida.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

Thats the monitor

Post by gmattson »

It works and was fine for what I had intended to use the computer for.
GEM
"Do or do not. there is no try!"
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

What I was getting at, GEM, is that NEW 17" monitors like that are on sale at the Expo Center this weekend for 47 bux. It doesn't make sense to ship something of that age, bulk and weight to florida because the difference in price of shipping and a new one is so small it'd be better to get a new one. The chances of something like that getting damaged in transit by rough handling these days is high. Actually, send it UPS and hope it does get damaged. They automatically insure things for up tp 200 bux and that would make a handsome down payment on a new LCD monitor. Personally, I wouldn't own, and don't have anymore, CRT Monitors.

BTW: I don't care what you do with it, GEM, and gave it to you, that and the hard disk, for you to do what you want with them and am glad you got some usage out of them before their retirement.

I've got so much computer stuff I don't use anymore, hardware and software, George, that I'm going to park a Backhoe outside the window and dump bucketfuls into the hungry shovel for easy transit to the dumpster. I just turned to my right and am looking 6 big plastic boxes full of stuff that's making a b-line right out the window as soon as the weather warms up a little. If they only made laptops as powerful as desktops, I'd use them exclusvely but their hard drives are so small and slow and are too expensive for what they deliver.

I've fot a nice AMD 1100 with "the motherboard of it's time" [think it'll do raid] in a nice max tower case that will be first to go after I find out if the powersupply can be used in the new colored acrylic case i've ordered.

I've got tons of older memory just laying around. pre-PC-100 or even maybe a few PC-100 and/or PC-133 sticks that are obsolete because of DDR memory.

I've got a laser printer that was a real workhorse before I got the HP-4050. It's big and heavy by today's standards, but it earned its keep and is now taking up valuable realestate. The next time I clean out this PC shack, that one's headed for the dumpster too.
-- Allen
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Allen,

Do you have anything useful you and I might want to talk turkey on?

Gene
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

The stuff's not useful to me, that's why there's a backhoe parked outside.

Well, I do have a zip drive that could be useful.

Then I've got a Blaster Live with all the controls on the front panel.

Maybe even an extra router laying around.

Plus that Optra-R Laser printer.

An extra Epson color printer that I've never used,

A new optical mouse, stull unused and in the box that I got before I converted to wireless and wireless/optical.

A couple of extra SCSI 10k RPM hard drives.

Even a working computer -- the AMD 1100.

I thought you just built something up?
-- Allen
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

I thought you just built something up?
But that doesn't mean I can't still tinker! :twisted:

Unused Epson printer? My brother might like that....

SB Live, with all accessories? I Might like, too. CD music doesn't sound so good through the on board Audio.

A few XTRA Hard drives? Might then get a SCSI card and put together a multiple Hard drive beast! What capacity are they? Are they good for storing digital video on?

But, alas, it will have to wait for new infusion of working capital!

See you at the tourney tomorrow?

Gene
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

A few XTRA Hard drives? Might then get a SCSI card and put together a multiple Hard drive beast! What capacity are they? Are they good for storing digital video on?
Good for storing digital Video on?

The new high-speed EIDA and SATAdrives don't even come close. SCSI drives smoke! The fastest EIDA drive is only 1/3 the speed of a SCSI.
But, alas, it will have to wait for new infusion of working capital!
When you get that infusion we can talk about the goods and specs if you're still interested at that time.

See you at the tourney tomorrow?
What time's the tournament? I'm driving my sister-in-law to the airport tomorrow morning.
-- Allen
gmattson
Site Admin

Post by gmattson »

Gene: Drop over to the house after the tourney. I've got a couple of new printers that came with computers which you can have. If Al doesn't mind, you can have that big monitor as well.

Tony... let me know if you want the computer.

That backhoe sounds like a good idea Al. . .
GEM
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

GEM-Sensei,

That's a very kind offer, and I'll talk to you at the tournament. But please bear in mind that I don't have any money for computer accessories at the moment. But we'll talk Sunday.

Gene
gmattson
Site Admin

I'll pay you to take it away!

Post by gmattson »

:roll:
GEM

Post by Guest »

George, i'd like it! I'll throw linux on it. How much you want for it?
gmattson
Site Admin

How does $0.00 sound?

Post by gmattson »

I'll pack up the computer and ups it out to you tomorrow. Please PM your address to me.

I won't send the monitor though..
GEM

Post by Guest »

cool! I'll pay the shipping/packing charges. let me know how much it was!!!
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

The only other time I ever used a backhoe, GEM, was to change an engine. This time I'm throwing away engines, transmissions, tires, etc.

Such a deal, Tony.
-- Allen

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”