One Thing In Life Really Pisses Me Off

This forum is for the discussion of technology, computers, & problems relating to the web and your computer

Moderator: Scott Danziger

Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

And that’s Microsoft products.

Not too long ago I purchased a laptop equipped with Windows XP and Word XP and Word keeps bugging me to add this voice acquisition plug in from their website, something which I have absolutely no interest in so I keep respondingwith NO! Tonight It started telling me that Woed would no longer continue operating because it was incorrectly set up.

Guess what!

A few minutes ago I removed this unsavory Word XP and installed an extra version of Word 2000 that I have kicking around here, and it works just fine. And it doesn’t bitch at me continuously either.

Matter of fact, all the versions of Word that I have going back to and including Word 95 all work fine and there is little or no difference except they do not keep bothering me all the time.

Microsoft has gone too far with their requirements on their latest versions of software, and I am turning against them and their products. Linux has not completely come of age yet, but I have been using it more and more lately in an attempt to wean myself away from Microsoft.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen
Gene DeMambro

Post by Gene DeMambro »

Word Perfect 2002 can still read and use old WP files versions, all the way back to v. 4.2. It's installation is a breeze, can be had on the cheap if you know where to look, is way better than Word if you want to create something more complicated than an interoffice memo and it doesn't Henpeck you at every turn!

Gene
Panther

Post by Panther »

Gotta agree with Gene on this one... I bought a new PC for the office last summer. I intentionally told them that I wanted Office XP installed instead of MS Works for the additional ~$200. They didn't do it. grrrrr... They also didn't charge me, so I was told to just go get it and install it myself. I found out that to go out and get Office XP will cost me ~$500! We had an old copy of the WP Office 2000 around... It loaded and works just fine. No money to Gates... My only problem is that my Machine has MS Office 2000 Pro and the other machine is using WP Office 2000... That makes it a little difficult sometimes and I'm trying to decide whether to get the MS Office XP or the WP Office 2002... They're both pricey, IMNSHO. (Besides I need to spend about $6k soon for some engineering sw that is necessary.)

Allen, I sent you a PM...
==================================
My God-given Rights are NOT "void where prohibited by law!"
Deep Sea

Post by Deep Sea »

I'm stuck with Microsoft. I really like their products, they're used throughout much of industry, and they all work well together. But this time they've gone too far for me. The older stuff works just fine.

Problem is that I think I'm stuck with XP on this laptop because W2000 may not have the required drivers for it.
Always with an even keel.
-- Allen

Return to “Computer & Web Tech Help”