GUDERIAN'S FINGER

JOHN THURSTON is back and eager to discuss Western Martial Arts, especially relating to its history.

Moderator: JOHN THURSTON

JOHN THURSTON

GUDERIAN'S FINGER

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

Hi:

Although it might so seem, this post is not dedicated, as such, to Heinz Guderians' development of "Blitzkreig" tactics in 1940.

In connection therewith it shouild be noted that: i. the French had more and better tanks than Guderian (Renault, Somua, Char B) but they were archaically deployed with the infantry) and ii. his 'thrust" could not have been made without the weapons seized or ceded from the Checzhs.

The Checzh T-38 armed with a 50mm main Gun, utilizing a "Christie" type suspension and having good speed on rough ground really formed the heart of Guderians's force.

As usual, I will be relying on Hugh to make some corrections, but Guderians' finger (so named for the shape of the pocket his thrust made to the Norman Coast) started in the Ardennes, rapidly crossed the Meuse, bypassed and aras of heavy French resistance and drove to the sea.

In Desert Storm, Shwartzkopf to a page from Civil War History, and used "Stonewall's Left Hook" and provinded a hammer against which Union Troops were broken at Chancerlorrsville.

Here, In Iraqi Freedom. we see Guderians finger. It may be even more daring. The thrust is intended to go to Bagdhad, by pass urban centers and smaller pochets of resistance, in the hope that they may be made irrelevant and surrender.

Again, flank protection relies on speed, maintain the integrityu of the main force and and the use of heavy doses of air power.

I think the #rd mechanized has the speed, but may lack sufficient numbers of heavy tanks.

Where is 1st Amored?

J
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
JOHN THURSTON

Post by JOHN THURSTON »

HI:

A writer in US News I believe also likend the "Franks Blitzkrieg" to Guderians drive to the Sea.

j
"All Enlightenment Gratefully Accepted"
RACastanet

Post by RACastanet »

Good point.
How are you doing up there?
Rich
Member of the world's premier gun club, the USMC!

Return to “Western Martial Arts & History”