looking for advice: need to find a good style

Bill's forum was the first! All subjects are welcome. Participation by all encouraged.

Moderator: Available

flavor flav

looking for advice: need to find a good style

Post by flavor flav »

Doesn't look like I can do uechi in Tallahassee anymore, at least, not with any direction. (I have a link to the developments of that story in my sig)

There are a few places around town that I have looked at.

- Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kung Fu: http://members.tripod.com/~Moy100/

- Tallahassee Shaolin Kung Fu: http://www.tallahasseeshaolinkungfu.com/

- Kenpo Karate and kickboxing: http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/kenpo/kenpo_adults.htm

martial arts directory for tallahassee: http://www.thecityoftallahassee.com/karate.html

any help is appreciated!

- Sebastian
benzocaine

Post by benzocaine »

I'd be all over the wing chun school. IMHO a very good and practical art. I had a little training in this and still revert to a bong sao block time to time.

Wing Chun has some strong similiarities to Uechi. They both come from southern China.
Halford

Moy Yat Ving Tsun is a good choice for you to try.

Post by Halford »

This style of Wing Chun,Ving Tsun,etc. has been prevalent in NYC and the Boston area and then moved, if I am not mistaken, to Florida. Am not sure if GM or Sifu Moy Yat is still alive, or if his son(s) have taken up the task of teaching or some of his disciples. It has been years since I last heard of any of them. There is a book out on this style, but can't recall the name of it,etc. There are also some videos possibly available. As Benzocaine states, take the Wind Chun if possible over the others. Still,in looking at the directory go to each school, avoid being pressured into signing contracts, observe classes if they will permit and talk to people before joining up. As in everything else, nothing ventured,nothing gained, but buyer beware! :D
Rick Wilson

Post by Rick Wilson »

Moy Yat Ving Tsun Kung Fu
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Agree I`d be incined to check the wing chung , but go have a look at them all and see how they train , I`d also be inclined to check out the kickboxing classes , meet the instructors and see what there offering , styles are secondary to how there taught .
flavor flav

Post by flavor flav »

Stryke wrote: styles are secondary to how there taught .
I agree, and this is what I am trying to find out about the following places.

shaolin king fu of tallahassee also teaches wing chun. how should I determine the differences?
Bone

Post by Bone »

Well just to be different :)

First it depends on what you want. If it is soemthing similar to Uechi then you can find simliar things many styles of Kung Fu & Karate. If you are looking for something to furhter compliment what you have learned, what about Akido or a Phillipino Style.

But, if you want to try soemthing totaly different and feel like an absolute begininer again try the Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu Class. I have never felt so uncordinated & unathletic then when I first started grappling! Grappling is a very technical art with tons of information that you will not get "board" from seeing a lot of similar things that you have already done-not that this is bad, Also, I have found BJJ to be one of the best workouts I have tried, adding to it's many benifits.

Try to goto as many of the different schools as possible with an open mind. Everything has it's good points and each individual instructor will have there own spin to their class. You might find that the TKD Class si more what you want then the Kung Fu-Let us know what you choose.
"Thinking is a lost art"
jorvik

Post by jorvik »

I recently had a similar predicament. I too was looking at Wing Chun schools (and also Tai Chi). There were 2 WC schools. the first one that I went to charged way over the odds....1 hour of WC cost the equivelant of 4 hours Uechi.....the guy teaching was little and looked unco-ordinated.At the other school the guy teaching was a " Trainee" instructor and was abyssmal :cry: ......Then I found out that my friend was teaching WC and signed up with him :D .....
I wonder where JIm ( Shaolin) is these days...he's a Moy Yat man. Wing Chun is a very good style buut you get a lot of poor people teaching it. If they don't teach "sticking hands" from the word go then don't do it....the crap schools will have you marching up and down doing stupid punches. There are only three WC forms...and I've seen teachers breaking these up into 3 so that they can charge more to teach them.
I would say that you should go to all the schools and check each one out...sometimes you can be surprised.
I have been looking for a good Tai Chi teacher and had virtually given up hope....I went to the most unlikely venue to train and the teacher was brilliant , far far better than I could ever have expected. :D Sometimes you can just stumble onto something that you were'nt expecting
Best of luck. :wink:
flavor flav

Post by flavor flav »

I didnt practice uechi long enough to really get a feel for it. Less than one year. But I loved it and would love a similar experience. Never the less, I am open to absolutely anything and look forward to checking these places out in person.

http://geocities.com/bamboodojo/index.html (Cuong Nhu)

here is the website of a dojo here on my college campus. They mention board breaking, is this a bad sign? maybe they just do it to impress outsiders. I will check them out tomorrow.

Return to “Bill Glasheen's Dojo Roundtable”