recovering from a broken wrist

Martial Artist get sick, have accidents, become disabled. This forum will focus on how these individuals cope with their condition while staying active in the martial arts and while living life to the fullest. Administered by Sensei Bill Bauknecht. He's been there and doing great! (You don't need to register in order to post here!)

Moderator: Available

Ryokan

recovering from a broken wrist

Post by Ryokan »

I broke my wrist (badly) a year ago and had to get it surgically fixed. I just returned to the martial arts and wanted to see if anyone had any insight.

The flexibility is good. I can still snap an ura uchi, but I feel a little bit of strain in the inside of my elbow. Shote strikes hurt, but I can do them. Weight-bearing things like regular pushups (hands flat) and crab-walks seem to agitate it the most.

How do I get my wrist/arm back as close to normal as possible? Did you find that things naturally improved with training, or did it take additional measures (Western/ Eastern medicine)? What seemed to help the most?

Thanks.
Bill B.

Wrist

Post by Bill B. »

My only advice would be to stay away from the things that agravate the wrist. I would think that overdoing at this point would prolong the healing process. As with any injury or disability, my experience has been to just do what you can do, without hurting yourself. I use to think that the "No pain, no gain" thing was the way to go. That does not always apply. Is this an injury that will heal completely? Or is there permanent damage? Your best advice should be coming from your doctor. It's been a year for you which seems a long time, but serious injuries like yours can take a very long time to heal. I would talk to the doctor and do your regular work outs but ease off or don't do the things that irritate the wrist. Hopefully time will heal completely and you can slowly get the wrist back to normal. Good luck.
Bill

Return to “Special Needs”